UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    It is a reasonable and fair opinion. Let's hope he gets drafted!

For example, Keeper wasn't drafted. Anyone feel 100% confident he will be in a Maine jersey next year?
    If by next year you mean the year about to start in a few months, then yes, I'd say I'm fully confident he stays.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      What does Maine goes for with the 19th skater? I would assume it would be a seventh dman, but maybe they to horses for courses with it.

I doubt this would happen, but why not let teams dress 23 skaters in the first four weeks or something like that? It would be good to give everyone a chance early in the season.
      Well, I would imagine since 4 of the top 5 in penalty minutes were defensmen, then an extra defensemen would be great. Hopefully of the defensive defensemen variety that can block shots, clear net front, etc... to help kill penalties. That way when you have a defensemen get a penalty you arent losing a penalty killer.

Comment

Extra skaters good injury insurance. And better for keeping the big rosters not disgruntled. Guy whos in a sweat suit in the stands will be ****ed, guy who dresses less so even if he only plays 2 shifts

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

This article states Thiessen's injury wasn't overly serious, which is good news...

https://ingoalmag.com/features/route...ior-a-goalies/

"Unfortunately, his tournament was cut short after he suffered a freak ankle injury while retreating back into his net after playing a puck. The injury wasn’t overly serious, but it was enough to have him walking with the aid of a crutch after the game. The Pistons were also the first team eliminated during round robin play, so Thiessen never received the second chance that he was hoping to get."

Comment

On Kawamura, not sure where he plays next season. This article makes it seem like the new coach in Powell River is high on him...
            http://www.prpeak.com/sports/powell-...ent-1.23295799

This article show Kawamura attended Sioux Falls camp in USHL...
            http://www.ksfy.com/content/sports/U...485204501.html

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Keeper wasn't drafted. Anyone feel 100% confident he will be in a Maine jersey next year?
              I am quite confident. Currently a defensive liability playing his man and needs to learn to stay out of the box coupled with his age makes him a 3-4 year player and I am more bullish on the 4. Binner is morel likely to go early given his all around game, age, and current draft eligibility, even then I would expect him to play 3 years in orono.
              UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                I am quite confident. Currently a defensive liability playing his man and needs to learn to stay out of the box coupled with his age makes him a 3-4 year player and I am more bullish on the 4. Binner is morel likely to go early given his all around game, age, and current draft eligibility, even then I would expect him to play 3 years in orono.
                It would benefit both to get at least 3 seasons of College Hockey in, and most NHL teams look for them to play 3 seasons of College Hockey unless there the Elite of the Elite/Karyia-Eichel-etc.

Comment

I saw Merrimack had a very good recruit, Michael Kesselring, decommit and is open to recruiting again. I hope Maine goes after him. He is a teammate of Lyndon Breen at New Hampton in prep league. Big right shot offensive defensemen are hard to come by. I am surprised he decommited and wants to play in USHL for a year. He would play for Gene Reilly in Des Moines. Maybe he feels he isn't ready yet. He is 75th ranked in north American skaters by CSS.

https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...870126598?s=19
                  Last edited by BlackI; 06-21-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Good listen on sound cloud where the pipeline show interviews Matt Thiessen headed into the draft...
                    https://***********/TPS_Guy/status/1...221942273?s=19

Says the plan is to play for Dubuque in USHL and then Maine the year after.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      It would benefit both to get at least 3 seasons of College Hockey in, and most NHL teams look for them to play 3 seasons of College Hockey unless there the Elite of the Elite/Karyia-Eichel-etc.
                      Exactly. With the increase in talent and depth at the NCAA level over the past decade-plus NHL teams are happy to let drafted players develop in NCAA. Pearson is a good example of that - 15 years ago he leaves after sophomore year. Also, players who go un-drafted are realizing the power of patience when it comes to negotiating and not jumping at the first offer. 10 years ago Tralmaks jumps at his first or second offer and maybe plays one or two seasons in NCAA. Instead players like Zack Aston-Reese are proving that if you wait and drive your stock up over a 3 or 4 seasons that more teams start bidding for services and you can get a better offer and situation. Even drafted players are more frequently waiting for graduation so they can become free agents and choose the best situation for themselves (much to the ire of major juniors). The post 2005 NHL-CBA world initially favored the teams but now the player's hockey advisers and agents have figured out how to sway deals in the player's favor. I think this is good for college hockey as it has a positive feedback on talent and competition on the ice. Although, I do expect a future CBA to curb some of this - even though NHL headquarters moved to New York the CHL still has a lot of clout.

Comment

I saw Merrimack had a very good recruit, Michael Kesselring, decommit and is open to recruiting again. I hope Maine goes after him. He is a teammate of Lyndon Breen at New Hampton in prep league. Big right shot offensive defensemen are hard to come by. I am surprised he decommited and wants to play in USHL for a year. He would play for Gene Reilly in Des Moines. Maybe he feels he isn't ready yet. He is 75th ranked in north American skaters by CSS.

https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...870126598?s=19
                        Interesting move. He comes from a 'mack family, his dad played there. He wasn't projected to arrive in Merrimack until the following season. Guess the family is not too impressed with the regime change. This would be a big time pick up for Maine.

Comment

Dallas Farrell will play in BCHL this season with Coquitlam. Great to see him move on from USPHL/NCDC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                            Dallas Farrell will play in BCHL this season with Coquitlam. Great to see him move on from USPHL/NCDC.
                            Good info. Nice to have ya back. Sleeping on the job again? Just kidding.

Thought he'd be better over in BCHL too. Hopefully one good year and reunited with old pal Dawe.

Comment

Decommit Whalstrom goes 11th to N.Y. Islanders. Wish he could play at UMaine, but congratulate him just the same.

Comment

Decommit Whalstrom goes 11th to N.Y. Islanders. Wish he could play at UMaine, but congratulate him just the same.
                                Nice. Can't be a true Umainer. Keeper will run him. First nation Keeper has more heart than Whalstrom. Run him keeper run him.

Comment

Working...
                                X