UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Was reading that the league plays a different style than the NCAA and doesn't produce a ton of scholarship offers or NHL draft picks. After watching his highlights, he definitely looks like a solid player. I little smaller than our other defensemen. Says that he is a puck moving defensemen that can play on the powerplay. Might be a good get if he continues to develop. I like that Guite is going into these smaller leagues and trying to find the hidden gems. The USHL and northeast area are getting increasingly difficult to recruit from so it's refreshing to see this. Keeper was from a similar league to this one and he's been great so far. Fingers crossed for this kid

Comment

Had a chance to watch Matt Thiessen Sunday as Steinbech (MJHL) took on Swan Valley. First of all Steinbech is a significantly better team which limited the number of times Thiessen was truly challenged. Regardless, Thiessen made some very good saves. He faced 25 shots and the lone goal came on the power play with a 6-0 lead. His athleticism stood out to me. Plays a similar style to Swayman. Tough to give a big picture view with one viewing against a subpar team but overall I really liked what I saw. Another good job by UMaine identifying a recruit early.

https://steinbachonline.com/local-sp...tthew-thiessen
      UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Levi Kleiboer was named to Team Canada West for the World Junior A Challenge to be held in Truro, NS beginning this weekend.

good article
        http://battlefordsnow.com/article/58...iversity-maine
        Last edited by Bhall44; 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

2 Maine recruits named to USHL NHL Top Prospects Game

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1256192
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            2 Maine recruits named to USHL NHL Top Prospects Game

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1256192
            Wow quite surprised Roy was named, not that he hasn't played well this year but i figured others ('98s or 99s) would get the nod over him. Good for Harry. I like his style of play.

Comment

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...leIdCMS1857334

Maine recruit in top 5
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/0...-saskatchewan/
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Everything about this kid sounds great. It’s really nice to hear he comes from a hard working family.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If interested in watching Kleiboer compete at World Jr A Challenge you can follow the link below.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...stats/schedule

Comment

This weekend had me pretty excited so I was checking out the roster projection table (great work BHall44), and I think next years team is going to be the one to bring us back to the tourney. The trio of Fargo guys are putting up impressive numbers so far and should replace the scoring we'll lose with Vesey and Pieper gone. The blue line has been crowded this year so I expect Hamilton's shoes to be filled by someone like Binner who's been great. I want to saw he's +11 which is unreal. I don't know if it's Ben or Red but the right players are starting to arrive. Don't want to speak to soon but it appears to be coming together. 2 good recruiting classes in a row with another one which appears to be on the way. My fingers are crossed

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                        This weekend had me pretty excited so I was checking out the roster projection table (great work BHall44), and I think next years team is going to be the one to bring us back to the tourney. The trio of Fargo guys are putting up impressive numbers so far and should replace the scoring we'll lose with Vesey and Pieper gone. The blue line has been crowded this year so I expect Hamilton's shoes to be filled by someone like Binner who's been great. I want to saw he's +11 which is unreal. I don't know if it's Ben or Red but the right players are starting to arrive. Don't want to speak to soon but it appears to be coming together. 2 good recruiting classes in a row with another one which appears to be on the way. My fingers are crossed
                        Thank you for the kind words. Next year's group does looks promising. I am keeping a close eye on Ben Meyers especially during the second half. He could. Defensemen recruits are well positioned in case of early departures with Spicer redshirting, Kleiboer (likely next season), and Butala (either or). Good news is that Pieper does have one more year of eligibility left so we get him for another season. He has injected much needed energy and ability up the middle to the bottom six, something sorely lacking in previous years. I am also keeping an eye on Ben Beck. He has been quite inconsistent so far this season which is why I moved him back a class. Big talent adjustment from where he was and not too mention coming across the pond to a new country. No need to rush him along with Swayman and McGovern both in house next season. Beyond next season the '01's really get me excited. Breen and Capone are fun to watch. Anyone who lives in Southern Maine and interested should check the New Hampton schedule as Breen will most certainly play in an arena near you sometime this winter.

Comment

BHall, Im just curious. Who of our recruits that will be here soon are you most bullish on? I assume it's either JSS or Dawe, that's who I'm personally watching, but what say you?

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            BHall, Im just curious. Who of our recruits that will be here soon are you most bullish on? I assume it's either JSS or Dawe, that's who I'm personally watching, but what say you?
                            From the group of '98s and '99s... I would say JSS (#GreatDane), Dawe, Meyers, Needham, Farrell, Kleirboer and Butala

Meyers (2018) highly skilled, have been watching him the most recently. if he blows up in the second half Maine fans should be very excited about the prospects of next year's forward class!
                            Craig Needham (2018 or 2019) won't blow you away with numbers but he is a future captain, a glue guy, easy to like his style of play and effort.
                            Butala (2018 or 2019) is playing very good hockey and will be a welcomed addition to the blueline, all around game, leadership.
                            Kleiboer (2018 or 2019) No viewings yet but based on face value seems like someone to be excited about. World Jr A tournament is streaming for free so i plan to catch a couple of his games.
                            Dallas Farrell (2019) is highly skilled but still playing in the NCDC is not really furthering is development (IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                              Thank you for the kind words. Next year's group does looks promising. I am keeping a close eye on Ben Meyers especially during the second half. He could. Defensemen recruits are well positioned in case of early departures with Spicer redshirting, Kleiboer (likely next season), and Butala (either or). Good news is that Pieper does have one more year of eligibility left so we get him for another season. He has injected much needed energy and ability up the middle to the bottom six, something sorely lacking in previous years. I am also keeping an eye on Ben Beck. He has been quite inconsistent so far this season which is why I moved him back a class. Big talent adjustment from where he was and not too mention coming across the pond to a new country. No need to rush him along with Swayman and McGovern both in house next season. Beyond next season the '01's really get me excited. Breen and Capone are fun to watch. Anyone who lives in Southern Maine and interested should check the New Hampton schedule as Breen will most certainly play in an arena near you sometime this winter.
                              Wow, I didn't know that Pieper would be back. That's great news for this team. The top three lines on next years team have the potential to be the best we've seen in a very long time.
                              Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
                              Schmidt-Svejstrup-Doherty-Shea
                              Robbins-Pieper-Dawe
                              Westerlund-Drobot-Meyers

No checkers in those lines so a bit unrealistic but those all appear to be guys who will score goals which is exciting. I think this years team should be safe in terms of guys taking off early. In my opinion Holway and Swayman are the only ones who truly appear ready for the next level. If the recruiting class pans out, hats off to Ben and maybe we should be talking about him as a potential replacement for Red. I have been tough on Red and I'm not a full believer yet but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's done a fantastic job so far this year, has a young team a game over .500 at the break. The same team that was picked last in the pre-season poll. Heck, they even got a vote in the polls this week. We can blame resources and facilities all we want but in truth it's more about going after the right recruits. I love the fact that Ben is going into western Canada and finding players. Even more intruiging is he's going toe to toe with bigger schools and landing USHL guys which bodes well for our long term success.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                                Wow, I didn't know that Pieper would be back. That's great news for this team. The top three lines on next years team have the potential to be the best we've seen in a very long time.
                                Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
                                Schmidt-Svejstrup-Doherty-Shea
                                Robbins-Pieper-Dawe
                                Westerlund-Drobot-Meyers

No checkers in those lines so a bit unrealistic but those all appear to be guys who will score goals which is exciting. I think this years team should be safe in terms of guys taking off early. In my opinion Holway and Swayman are the only ones who truly appear ready for the next level. If the recruiting class pans out, hats off to Ben and maybe we should be talking about him as a potential replacement for Red. I have been tough on Red and I'm not a full believer yet but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's done a fantastic job so far this year, has a young team a game over .500 at the break. The same team that was picked last in the pre-season poll. Heck, they even got a vote in the polls this week. We can blame resources and facilities all we want but in truth it's more about going after the right recruits. I love the fact that Ben is going into western Canada and finding players. Even more intruiging is he's going toe to toe with bigger schools and landing USHL guys which bodes well for our long term success.
                                Pieper and Doherty, players you need on any team...they bring a blue collar/ lunch pail attitude to the lineup...won't fill the net with goals but they do the little things you notice and appreciate.

Comment

Working...
                                X