This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark 4: It's not unusual to be strange anymore

I'd also say that as time goes on, there becomes SO much history to try and teach, that you have to...gloss over some things. I don't mean ignore them, or not teach the importance of them, but a teacher doesn't have the time to really delve into the stats and details of the situation. I didn't know of the Armenian thing until I was an adult. I wish I was aware of it at a younger age.

There's only so much one can teach in the time allotted.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I'd also say that as time goes on, there becomes SO much history to try and teach, that you have to...gloss over some things. I don't mean ignore them, or not teach the importance of them, but a teacher doesn't have the time to really delve into the stats and details of the situation. I didn't know of the Armenian thing until I was an adult. I wish I was aware of it at a younger age.

There's only so much one can teach in the time allotted.
      And what the overlords on the school boards permit.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        And what the overlords on the school boards permit.
        I sadly agree with that. I can point out to one example: the Lincoln assassination. It was a paint by numbers lesson, and then I read "Manhunt" by James L Swanson for the full story. LOTS of stuff that was never taught. I'm not even talking minute details. Basic stuff that should have been known.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I sadly agree with that. I can point out to one example: the Lincoln assassination. It was a paint by numbers lesson, and then I read "Manhunt" by James L Swanson for the full story. LOTS of stuff that was never taught. I'm not even talking minute details. Basic stuff that should have been known.
          Living for a while in Clinton, MD the trail of Booth went right down Rt 5. Surratt's house was a short drive down Old Branch Ave. and if you kept going down Rt. 5 towards Waldorf you can take a short detour to Dt. Mudd's house. Kinda spooky when you realize that MD stayed loyal to the Union at gunpoint and Southern MD was more attuned to Richmond than DC.

It's a part of history that is there if you look. I guess many towns have that, too.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Living for a while in Clinton, MD the trail of Booth went right down Rt 5. Surratt's house was a short drive down Old Branch Ave. and if you kept going down Rt. 5 towards Waldorf you can take a short detour to Dt. Mudd's house. Kinda spooky when you realize that MD stayed loyal to the Union at gunpoint and Southern MD was more attuned to Richmond than DC.

It's a part of history that is there if you look. I guess many towns have that, too.
            Samuel Mudd's grandson lived in Saginaw when I was growing up. He made regular attempts to clear his name.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The world we now live in

@SkinnyMilam: Mother is at work. Father is deployed in Syria. Kid misses his school bus so he goes to a neighbor's house for help. Neighbor inexplicably thinks young black boy who's KNOCKED ON HER FRONT DOOR is somehow trying to "break-in". Husband shoots at young boy. America 2018. https://***********/deray/status/984784565762973698

@deray: Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...ochester-hills
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The world we now live in

@SkinnyMilam: Mother is at work. Father is deployed in Syria. Kid misses his school bus so he goes to a neighbor's house for help. Neighbor inexplicably thinks young black boy who's KNOCKED ON HER FRONT DOOR is somehow trying to "break-in". Husband shoots at young boy. America 2018. https://***********/deray/status/984784565762973698

@deray: Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...ochester-hills
                It didn't just accidentally get that way, joe.

Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  It didn't just accidentally get that way, joe.

No pitchforks - they're not angry enough.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

SUNY-Binghamton 2nd murder this semester.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/16...n-5-weeks.html
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The world we now live in

Just down the road from me. Yes, most of our precincts broke for Trump.

Comment

One weird highlight from today's Boston Marathon was Shalane Flanagan, in and out of the porta-john in ~14 seconds.

Those of us in the mid-back of the pack do not have that luxury of no lines at the porta-toilet. Twin Cities 2015, I held it for 15 miles because I wanted a jon with no lines.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Holy sh-t! This thing is real!
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It's a good thing they put that muzzle on him because those claws are completely safe.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Slave Tim? Wizard Tim or Serf Tim would be better.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Get people sensitive to race, then take advantage. https://www.infowars.com/black-guy-w...s-free-coffee/

Comment

Working...
                                X