Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017 (Part II): In Memory of Ed Weaver

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Technically Bruno is in last place. I never said this was an accomplishment. I also think that RPI has been playing some quality hockey in the past 9 games prior to last night too.
    So you want to try to make people feel good with phony compliments and then be a gloating ****hole? Go shove it up your ***.

Comment

At least 8 months till going to the HFH again amen
      At least get to see games In Schenectady after we beat clarkson first round
      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
        At least 8 months till going to the HFH again amen
        At least get to see games In Schenectady after we beat clarkson first round
        Assuming 08-09 doesn't get pulled again... and a small part of me hopes for semi-local games...

Comment

I wrote on the recruit thread that I would post my comments here on next year's lineup.

The lineup for next season appears to have at the moment 5 goalies, 12 defenseman and 18 forwards. Each of the three numbers is greater than in recent years. There probably isn’t enough space in the lockerroom for 35 players. None of the following is based upon any inside knowledge, just gut feeling.

Let us look at each of the numbers. First the goalies, where we have Hackett, Perry, McBain, St. Denis, and Marshall. Hackett has most likely seen his last action for RPI. I would be surprised if Perry left at this time. I don’t think he is ready for the pros and he has been improving over the season. I think that McBain likely will be going back to the ACHA team. St. Denis just arrived this semester and I think he will remain. Marshall, as a new recruit, knew the situation when he committed so I expect to see him in the fall where he will likely be the second-string goalie.

On defense, Prapavessis could turn pro but I expect him back. It has been suggested by others that Wilson might turn pro – I don’t think so. Bell has been in and out of the lineup for three years. Very rarely do people leave after their junior season except to turn pro, so I expect him back. (I think the last was Matt Garver.) Grant has been a pleasant surprise, so unless his injury keeps him out, I expect him back. I don’t know why Moore has been playing less and less. If it is due to being in SA’s doghouse, he may leave. I expect Reilly to be back. Manley also. It wouldn’t surprise me if Samec leaves. We have four recruits amd conceivably one or two could defer. I expect Cho to be in Troy in the fall. I also expect Babichuk to show up, although he could defer, and another year in the BCHL could help him. As was said, most European recruits play at least one year in the North America, all since Hammarstrom I think. It probably would be good for Tuliara to also accustom himself here, but I certainly don’t know. Harris, as a ‘96 and a new recruit, is undoubted coming in the fall.

As far as forwards are concerned, I expect the three fourth-year players, Liljegren, Melanson, and Nanne to return. They have all had up-and-down careers, but as I wrote for Bell, players rarely go elsewhere except for the pros after three years. Ohrvall also has had an up-and-down career, but I expect him back. I see no reason that Wiffen won’t return, I also expect and greatly hope Tironese is back. On the other-hand, Rodriguez has played little recently and could leave. As to the current freshmen, I expect and hope Hayhurst, Polino, and Marrello all return. Reissinger has played sparingly but also will probably return. We have not seen Rappaport at all. I suspect that he will stay in school, but he could leave the team. Gillespie returned to Troy this semester. If it wasn’t for the numbers problem, I would expect him to be reinstated. I still think he will likely be back, but I would not be surprised if he is still in SA’s doghouse. I certainly hope that Burgess is fit to play by next season. As to new forwards, there are four, Conger, Ohrvall, Stout, and Payne. I expect all to be in Troy with Ohrvall the most likely one to delay. However he has said that he wants to play with his brother. He still would do that if he delays a year, but I don’t think so. I would be shocked if Conger doesn’t show up since he has signed his NLOI. Payne, like Harris, is a ‘96 and a recent commit, so he is undoubtedly coming. Stout is also a fairly recent commit.

For all of the incoming player, there is of course the fact that they must get trough admissions. So far Conger is the only one in the directory. That also reminds me that Bendorf, although supposedly a 2018 recruit, is in the directory. If he shows up, that would make things even more complicated.

My guess is that Hackett, McBain, Samec, Tuliara, Rappaport, and Gillespie won’t be playing. That would mean 3 goalies, 10 defensemen, and 16 forwards. As I said, this is not based on any inside knowledge. I will be shocked if I am correct.

Comments?
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-21-2017, 05:30 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I wrote on the recruit thread that I would post my comments here on next year's lineup.

The lineup for next season appears to have at the moment 5 goalies, 12 defenseman and 18 forwards. Each of the three numbers is greater than in recent years. There probably isn’t enough space in the lockerroom for 35 players. None of the following is based upon any inside knowledge, just gut feeling.

Let us look at each of the numbers. First the goalies, where we have Hackett, Perry, McBain, St. Denis, and Marshall. Hackett has most likely seen his last action for RPI. I would be surprised if Perry left at this time. I don’t think he is ready for the pros and he has been improving over the season. I think that McBain likely will be going back to the ACHA team. St. Denis just arrived this semester and I think he will remain. Marshall, as a new recruit, knew the situation when he committed so I expect to see him in the fall where he will likely be the second-string goalie.

On defense, Prapavessis could turn pro but I expect him back. It has been suggested by others that Wilson might turn pro – I don’t think so. Bell has been in and out of the lineup for three years. Very rarely do people leave after their junior season except to turn pro, so I expect him back. (I think the last was Matt Garver.) Grant has been a pleasant surprise, so unless his injury keeps him out, I expect him back. I don’t know why Moore has been playing less and less. If it is due to being in SA’s doghouse, he may leave. I expect Reilly to be back. Manley also. It wouldn’t surprise me if Samec leaves. We have four recruits amd conceivably one or two could defer. I expect Cho to be in Troy in the fall. I also expect Babichuk to show up, although he could defer, and another year in the BCHL could help him. As was said, most European recruits play at least one year in the North America, all since Hammarstrom I think. It probably would be good for Tuliara to also accustom himself here, but I certainly don’t know. Harris, as a ‘96 and a new recruit, is undoubted coming in the fall.

As far as forwards are concerned, I expect the three fourth-year players, Liljegren, Melanson, and Nanne to return. They have all had up-and-down careers, but as I wrote for Bell, players rarely go elsewhere except for the pros after three years. Ohrvall also has had an up-and-down career, but I expect him back. I see no reason that Wiffen won’t return, I also expect and greatly hope Tironese is back. On the other-hand, Rodriguez has played little recently and could leave. As to the current freshmen, I expect and hope Hayhurst, Polino, and Marrello all return. Reissinger has played sparingly but also will probably return. We have not seen Rappaport at all. I suspect that he will stay in school, but he could leave the team. Gillespie returned to Troy this semester. If it wasn’t for the numbers problem, I would expect him to be reinstated. I still think he will likely be back, but I would not be surprised if he is still in SA’s doghouse. I certainly hope that Burgess is fit to play by next season. As to new forwards, there are four, Conger, Ohrvall, Stout, and Payne. I expect all to be in Troy with Ohrvall the most likely one to delay. However he has said that he wants to play with his brother. He still would do that if he delays a year, but I don’t think so. I would be shocked if Conger doesn’t show up since he has signed his NLOI. Payne, like Harris, is a ‘96 and a recent commit, so he is undoubtedly coming. Stout is also a fairly recent commit.

For all of the incoming player, there is of course the fact that they must get trough admissions. So far Conger is the only one in the directory. That also reminds me that Bendorf, although supposedly a 2018 recruit, is in the directory. If he shows up, that would make things even more complicated.

My guess is that Hackett, McBain, Samec, Tuliara, Rappaport, and Gillespie won’t be playing. That would mean 3 goalies, 10 defensemen, and 16 forwards. As I said, this is not based on any inside knowledge. I will be shocked if I am correct.

Comments?
            That is well thought out Ralph, and I think that you have the goalie situation right on.
            As for the rest, how many can we fit in the locker room?
            You have a total of 29 players, can we get one or two more on the team?
            I have no idea how the forwards and defensemen play out. I don't see any defensemen not returning, so we only need a replacement for Reno.
            There has been a lot of shuffling around with the forwards due to injuries the last couple of years, so I don't know who will return. I would like to see Gillespie play another year. We need to replace three seniors, but I don't know who else might need to be replaced. I guess we'll just have to leave that to the coaches.
            I like the discussion though.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

From what I heard while at HFH, Moore left one of the games a few weeks ago due to injury; his scratching is not of the healthy variety.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                From what I heard while at HFH, Moore left one of the games a few weeks ago due to injury; his scratching is not of the healthy variety.
                Hackett was skipping practices he ain't coming back
                Gilespie also not coming back
                Why do we have so many defense coming next year maybe you see a brutlag like switch to forward
                Moore had an off ice issue but I can speak to that as his non dressing
                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Why do we have so many defense coming next year maybe you see a brutlag like switch to forward
                  Doesn't Bell already go D/F?

Also, how often does Appert go 7 D? It might make sense in those terms.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Doesn't Bell already go D/F?

Also, how often does Appert go 7 D? It might make sense in those terms.
                    Yes indeed Bell has also played forward.

Some of the times SA has gone with 7 defenseman it was because of injuries at forward.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not surprising that Hackett has left the team. I wonder if he will transfer elsewhere, I bit surprising that Gillespie isn't returning. Anyway that makes it 4G, 17F, 12D.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks Ralph. LGR. Looking to have more W's this year as I have every year since 1963. Starting to look forward to next season winning more face offs with less penalties.

Love the RPI TV broadcasts but would rather the camera showed the RPI bench and fans rather than the announcers. Hope the freshman forwards progress the way Bourbonnais did.

Will watch or listen to every game looking for W's. LGR - beat Cornell, Colgate and Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI67 View Post
                          Thanks Ralph. LGR. Looking to have more W's this year as I have every year since 1963. Starting to look forward to next season winning more face offs with less penalties.

Love the RPI TV broadcasts but would rather the camera showed the RPI bench and fans rather than the announcers. Hope the freshman forwards progress the way Bourbonnais did.

Will watch or listen to every game looking for W's. LGR - beat Cornell, Colgate and Clarkson.
                          Unless they find room (even if it's on the catwalk) for a camera on the south side, you're not going to see too much of that. Also, do you really want the camera on the bench and have the opposition be able to lip-read what the coaches are saying? Granted you could just stick a clipboard over the mouth, but why should we inconvenience our own staff...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Comments?

Nice analysis Ralph, I enjoyed reading, and re-reading it. I can agree with almost all of your sentiments and views. The most intriguing item this season is Hackett's dismissal and the change in effort/performance on-ice. Hopefully this team can pull off a first-round surprise and salvage something from this dismal season.
                            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Bryan Richardson '96 will be one of 5 to be inducted into the RPI Athletic HOF.

http://rpiathletics.com/news/2017/2/...l-of-fame.aspx

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-22-2017, 12:18 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wild thought... with all of the injury issues we've been having for the last 5 years or so, could it be possible that we're intentionally overloading in order to account for said issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X