Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Mookie wants a lawyer dog to walk at night....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...az_most&wpmk=1
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Interesting case heading to the SCOTUS from Minnesota:
      http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...KBN1DD1S8?il=0

(Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court agreed on Monday to hear a conservative group’s free speech challenge to a Minnesota law prohibiting voters from wearing T-shirts or other apparel adorned with overtly political messages inside polling stations.

A group called the Minnesota Voters Alliance is appealing a lower court’s decision to uphold the law, which forbids political badges, buttons or other insignia inside polling places during primary or general elections. State election officials have interpreted the law as also barring campaign literature and material from groups with political views such as the conservative Tea Party movement or the liberal MoveOn.org.

Violators are asked to cover up or remove offending items, but officials are instructed not to actually bar anyone from voting.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

By all that's holy please keep that ban in place. I do not want to know how dumb my neighbors are.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          By all that's holy please keep that ban in place. I do not want to know how dumb my neighbors are.
          Agreed. Leave your sloganeering apparel at home on Election Day, please.

Of course, these are inevitably the people whose cars are plastered with the usual bumperstickers.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Of course, these are inevitably the people whose cars are plastered with the usual bumperstickers.
            Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Go on.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Yes, I meant both sides, smartypants. I can't stand anyone who puts sloganeering bumperstickers on their car. It's basically a flashing advertisement for, "I am a lofo voter who doesn't use my brain."

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Agreed. Leave your sloganeering apparel at home on Election Day, please.

Eh, doesn't bother me. There is a circular lawn in front of my polling place and there were at least 100 signs on it last year for the election (obviously none inside).

Ban any active campaigning for sure, but I don't really have an issue with clothing.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Betteridge's Law
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• SCOTUS declined to take up a challenge to Maryland's assault weapons ban. The challenge was backed by the NRA... so cue conservative poutrage in 3, 2...
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      SCOTUS declined to take up a challenge to Maryland's assault weapons ban. The challenge was backed by the NRA... so cue conservative poutrage in 3, 2...
                      So it looks like the conservative wing of the SCOTUS has decided that they've seen enough mass murders over the past decade.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        SCOTUS declined to take up a challenge to Maryland's assault weapons ban. The challenge was backed by the NRA... so cue conservative poutrage in 3, 2...
                        That's pretty crazy. I don't know what to say.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          That's pretty crazy. I don't know what to say.
                          99 percent of all petitions for cert are denied. It's not crazy, it's normal.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            99 percent of all petitions for cert are denied. It's not crazy, it's normal.
                            It's totally crazy. It does however appear to affirm Heller and what many liberals think Heller means. Which is good. Too bad we have a horrible legislature at the Federal Level.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              It's totally crazy. It does however appear to affirm Heller and what many liberals think Heller means. Which is good. Too bad we have a horrible legislature at the Federal Level.
                              I'd love to read a SCOTUS reporter's analysis of whether this means anything. Cert can be denied for reasons that have nothing to do with the Court's stance on the merits. They might have filed in the wrong font or something.

Edit: five seconds of searching.

The Supreme Court issued orders from its November 21 conference today. The justices did not add any new cases to their merits docket for the term, but they did deny review in several high-profile cases.

Perhaps the most noteworthy denials came in two cases involving gun rights: Kolbe v. Hogan, a challenge to Maryland’s ban on semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines, passed in the wake of the mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school; and Norman v. Florida, a challenge to the state’s ban on the open carrying of guns in public. In both cases, the lower courts had upheld the states’ bans, so today’s rulings leave those decisions in place. Unlike last June, when Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch dissented from the court’s denial of review in Peruta v. California, in which the justices had been asked to decide whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a gun outside the home for self-defense, today’s denials were not accompanied by any public comments from the justices.
                              I would think that if this was substantive Court doctrine the wingnuts would likewise squeal. Somebody probably stapled the request wrong.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'd love to read a SCOTUS reporter's analysis of whether this means anything. Cert can be denied for reasons that have nothing to do with the Court's stance on the merits. They might have filed in the wrong font or something.

Edit: five seconds of searching.

I would think that if this was substantive Court doctrine the wingnuts would likewise squeal. Somebody probably stapled the request wrong.
                                What does this do to the handgun Heller ruling? Nothing?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X