Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    At least he was honest about what they want, for once.

I'd have at least a smidge of respect for Republicans if they didn't lie, and if they said, "no, it's not about rights or the Constitution, it's about my liberty to associate with people I like and to keep out people I don't."

"Republican: the freedom to hate in public those we hate in private." That's the real party motto. They should just state it clearly and unequivocally. It is an internally consistent philosophy.
    For me, personally, this attitude isn't surprising, but one has to wonder how many USCHO conservatives and defenders of Trump and crew feel the same way. Sadly, I think we'd be unpleasantly surprised by that.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      For me, personally, this attitude isn't surprising, but one has to wonder how many USCHO conservatives and defenders of Trump and crew feel the same way. Sadly, I think we'd be unpleasantly surprised by that.
      There are people I loathe and don't want around. If a host from the 700 Club got into my house through the door they would assuredly go out through the window.

I could actually see somebody make an argument for "liberty of hate" -- that they shouldn't have to pretend to tolerate in, say, their private business, those they wouldn't allow in their home. I think it would be a p-ss poor way to try to build a community, but I can see people thinking that dancing cheek to cheek with a person your religion teaches you to stone to death is hypocritical.

I'd almost rather we just allow those people to self-identify, so we could know them by their rules. Let Hobby Lobby put a "Colored Only" water fountain in their store. It would a way to know exactly who the as-sholes were. Let the bakers with half a brain and any soul put a little rainbow decal in their window saying "we support all marriages." That's where I'll shop. And I'll send a nice little letter to the flour suppliers for the homophobe bakery to tell them maybe it would be a good idea to respect a boycott of that place, or else be boycotted themselves.

Let the market destroy the haters. And if the market means hatred wins in parts of this country, well, then at least we know where we stand as a country and as a people, and we know which backwaters to pull all investment from and let suffocate in their own filth.
      Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2018, 10:21 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        At least he was honest about what they want, for once.

I'd have at least a smidge of respect for Republicans if they didn't lie, and if they said, "no, it's not about rights or the Constitution, it's about my liberty to associate with people I like and to keep out people I don't."

"Republican: the freedom to hate in public those we hate in private." That's the real party motto and driver of their policies from blacks to immigrants to gays to non-Christians. They should just state it clearly and unequivocally. It is an internally consistent philosophy.
        If you go back to a point in time 55 years ago, or longer, racism in this country was overt. People were openly racist, used openly racist names or terms and were unafraid to announce decisions that were racist in nature.

Legislation in the mid-1960's did not, by any stretch, cause racism to disappear. It may have produced marginal improvement, but more importantly it provided a remedy to the victims. But as for the racism itself, it was essentially unchanged and driven underground. It became covert, unspoken, but nevertheless present. In many ways it made it more difficult for the victims because it at least created some doubt as to whether the actions or motives were racist.

There is no question that the election of Trump has emboldened a sizable portion of the racist section of this country to return to the open, to become more overt in their actions or statements. In some ways that might be good because it removes the questions of motive or cause that existed in the more covert racism we've seen for 55 years.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

America wanted a racist in the oval office and they got it. And he has never let them down since taking office.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            If you go back to a point in time 55 years ago, or longer, racism in this country was overt. People were openly racist, used openly racist names or terms and were unafraid to announce decisions that were racist in nature.

Legislation in the mid-1960's did not, by any stretch, cause racism to disappear. It may have produced marginal improvement, but more importantly it provided a remedy to the victims. But as for the racism itself, it was essentially unchanged and driven underground. It became covert, unspoken, but nevertheless present. In many ways it made it more difficult for the victims because it at least created some doubt as to whether the actions or motives were racist.

There is no question that the election of Trump has emboldened a sizable portion of the racist section of this country to return to the open, to become more overt in their actions or statements. In some ways that might be good because it removes the questions of motive or cause that existed in the more covert racism we've seen for 55 years.
            On the whole, I think there has been positive change in racial attitudes. I've seen it in my kids, who are in their mid to late 20s and grew up in rural 'murica. We discussed such things at home, and they were not afraid to speak out about bigoted behavior at school or among friends and classmates. It's still there--we all can see that. But cultures just aren't as isolated as they once were, and that is helping.

I'm not trying to minimize the seriousness or extent of the problem, and what you say has a lot of truth to it.

Comment

Racism has evolved IMHO. I'd like to think even most (but not all) Trump supporters would be horrified by cops sending dogs after peaceful protesters or blacks being beaten on their way to the polling station. Or segregated lunch counters.

Racism now is white privilege. Its not that non-whites shouldn't have basic rights. Its that those rights need to be secondary to those of whites. Trump voters don't mind one Hispanic kid in class with their kids. They don't want a majority of the kids to be non-white. Trump voters don't mind one Indian family in the neighborhood. They don't want the neighborhood to be even close to a majority non-white. They might not mind seeing one black guy in the office. 3 or 4 or them? That starts to become a problem. This attitude is what Trump appeals to. It has little to do with economics although one could make the case that if people's economic situation was better maybe they'd be less likely to look for scapegoats. I'm a bit skeptical of that argument. Its about taking older people back to a country where whites were like 80-90% of the population and you could use racial and ethnic slurs as part of your everyday conversation.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I am shocked SHOCKED that that is where this led.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

So can I start a business and kick out bigoted losers with terrible mustaches? I truly believe it...

Freedom of Speech only covers racist stuff...so sayeth the racist.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    I am shocked SHOCKED that that is where this led.
                    It's almost as if it was what they were after all along...
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      There are people I loathe and don't want around. If a host from the 700 Club got into my house through the door they would assuredly go out through the window.

I could actually see somebody make an argument for "liberty of hate" -- that they shouldn't have to pretend to tolerate in, say, their private business, those they wouldn't allow in their home. I think it would be a p-ss poor way to try to build a community, but I can see people thinking that dancing cheek to cheek with a person your religion teaches you to stone to death is hypocritical.

I'd almost rather we just allow those people to self-identify, so we could know them by their rules. Let Hobby Lobby put a "Colored Only" water fountain in their store. It would a way to know exactly who the as-sholes were. Let the bakers with half a brain and any soul put a little rainbow decal in their window saying "we support all marriages." That's where I'll shop. And I'll send a nice little letter to the flour suppliers for the homophobe bakery to tell them maybe it would be a good idea to respect a boycott of that place, or else be boycotted themselves.

Let the market destroy the haters. And if the market means hatred wins in parts of this country, well, then at least we know where we stand as a country and as a people, and we know which backwaters to pull all investment from and let suffocate in their own filth.
                      Yeah, because that worked real well from 1860 to 1960.

Sometimes you really do hit that ivory tower academic elite trope really well.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Yeah, because that worked real well from 1860 to 1960.

Sometimes you really do hit that ivory tower academic elite trope really well.
                        I do my best.

I'm wondering whether we're grown up enough yet to have people vote with their feet.

Of course, I have a secret agenda:

My plan is the last minority protection is destroyed on the very day that white Christians become a minority. As Lewis C. K. says, "you don't fall from first to second."
                        Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                        X