The Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Why do we suck so hard? We're an immigration destination for many of the countries who are better. I would think we could just throw some Indian- / Pakistani-American money at it and become top 10 overnight.
    There are hardly any players who were born here or have even spent much time here in the current team. The reason we’re so bad is there was never much youth cricket until the last few years. There is a lot of good work being done these days though.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: The Cricket Thread

The foundations of English society have suffered an earthquake. Names and numbers will be on test kits.

EGAD!!

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/test...mpression=true
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        The foundations of English society have suffered an earthquake. Names and numbers will be on test kits.

EGAD!!

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/test...mpression=true
        This news is actually a few months old. I think it’s rather tacky, but maybe it will help non-cricket people.

Comment

And in today's Cricket World Cup final between New Zealand and host England that began at 5:30 AM ET

After 50 overs - tied at 241
          After the one over overtime - tied at 15

England won on more boundaries in regulation.

Doko - Federer ended first by a hair.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

And in today's Cricket World Cup final between New Zealand and host England that began at 5:30 AM ET

After 50 overs - tied at 241
            After the one over overtime - tied at 15

England won on more boundaries in regulation.

Doko - Federer ended first by a hair.
            Thank you for explaining that to me. I have no clue how to read a cricket box score.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Thank you for explaining that to me. I have no clue how to read a cricket box score.
              Amber - it's a blast to watch - especially the short T20 (20 overs - 120 balls a side) format. If you've never watched it, cricket can be a head scratcher.

I had to have wiki open on my laptop the first few times I watched it. After about the 4th match, I began to get the hang of it.

Coming up, the Ashes between Australia and England (test cricket - 5 days or less) and the Caribbean Premier League (T20 & the self billed biggest party in the world).

Ashes will start around 5AM and the CPL in the early evening.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I had to have wiki open on my laptop the first few times I watched it. After about the 4th match, I began to get the hang of it.
                It's always on in the Pakistani lunch place I go to. I still have no clue what I'm watching but it's fascinating. I also love that the screen is completely filled with stats. It's probably even more stats-heavy than baseball. Plus they're more advanced because, you know, Asians.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's always on in the Pakistani lunch place I go to. I still have no clue what I'm watching but it's fascinating. I also love that the screen is completely filled with stats. It's probably even more stats-heavy than baseball. Plus they're more advanced because, you know, Asians.
                  It has to be Willow TV. It's the only cricket station in the US (owned by the Times of India & NBC sports group 70/30).

The Pakistani PM, Imran Khan, is a former world class cricket bowler. It's a shame that Pakistan and India hate each other so much that their players are forbidden to play in the other's cricket leagues.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

their players are forbidden to play in the other's cricket leagues.
                    I did not know that.

I think it is Willow. They have an insane menu of international feeds. They show feverish Indian soaps which make telenovelas look like a Lutheran sermon and are completely understandable without captions.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I did not know that.

I think it is Willow. They have an insane menu of international feeds. They show feverish Indian soaps which make telenovelas look like a Lutheran sermon and are completely understandable without captions.
                      Netflix- PIKU or totally weird P.K.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I don't know how test cricket works, so this is limited to T20/ODI (One Day Int'l)'s that have limited overs.

but the gist is it's 10 on 10. 2 batters on the field at a time, all 10 fielders. each over is 6 bowls to the same direction before they turn around and bowl to the other wicket. T20 = 20 overs per side and lasts roughly the same amount of time as a baseball game. ODIs are 60 overs per side, I think.

Each time the batters run to the other wicket, it's a run, back and forth = 2, back and forth and back again = 3, and so on. A ball rolling through the boundary = 4, a ball over the boundary on the fly is worth 6. Teams bat til they're out of overs or until 9 men are put out. A score of 150-4 means they've scored 150 with 4 batters put out.

Outs are recorded in roughly the same way as they are in baseball. Catch on the fly = out. A bowl that knocks the horizontal piece off the wickets is an out. "Leg before wicket" means a bowl hit the batter's leg, but would've hit the wicket had it not hit the leg. "Run out" means the batters tried to run to the other wickets, and the wicket got knocked over before that batter reached it.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          I don't know how test cricket works, so this is limited to T20/ODI (One Day Int'l)'s that have limited overs.

but the gist is it's 10 on 10. 2 batters on the field at a time, all 10 fielders. each over is 6 bowls to the same direction before they turn around and bowl to the other wicket. T20 = 20 overs per side and lasts roughly the same amount of time as a baseball game. ODIs are 60 overs per side, I think.

Each time the batters run to the other wicket, it's a run, back and forth = 2, back and forth and back again = 3, and so on. A ball rolling through the boundary = 4, a ball over the boundary on the fly is worth 6. Teams bat til they're out of overs or until 9 men are put out. A score of 150-4 means they've scored 150 with 4 batters put out.

Outs are recorded in roughly the same way as they are in baseball. Catch on the fly = out. A bowl that knocks the horizontal piece off the wickets is an out. "Leg before wicket" means a bowl hit the batter's leg, but would've hit the wicket had it not hit the leg. "Run out" means the batters tried to run to the other wickets, and the wicket got knocked over before that batter reached it.
                          It’s 11 V 11. All you need to know is the goal is to score more runs than the other team.

Comment

Understanding scores

Side A wins by 10 runs
                            Means Side B fell 10 runs short in its chase.

Side B wins by 6 wickets.
                            Side B is chasing Side A's score and surpasses it with 6 outs (wickets) remaining

Match drawn
                            Test cricket only. Side B didn't get enough time to complete it's second innings

Match tied
                            Scores were even at the end of the match

England wins by 0 runs.
                            What happened Sunday.

Getting runs without hitting the ball

bye - a wild pitch. Batters run between the wickets and score runs.
                            leg bye - ball bounces off the batter's body and runners run between the wickets.
                            Wide (1 run & ball must be rebowled)- in ODI & T20 only. A ball delivered that is either behind the batter or just a bit outside.
                            no ball - a bad delivery. 1 run & you have to rebowl. In T20 and ODI this us followed by a free hit in which the batter cannot be put out unless he is run out.
                            Last edited by joecct; 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Understanding scores

Side A wins by 10 runs
                              Means Side B fell 10 runs short in its chase.

Side B wins by 6 wickets.
                              Side B is chasing Side A's score and surpasses it with 6 outs (wickets) remaining

Match drawn
                              Test cricket only. Side B didn't get enough time to complete it's second innings

Match tied
                              Scores were even at the end of the match

England wins by 0 runs.
                              What happened Sunday.

Getting runs without hitting the ball

bye - a wild pitch. Batters run between the wickets and score runs.
                              leg bye - ball bounces off the batter's body and runners run between the wickets.
                              Wide (1 run & ball must be rebowled)- in ODI & T20 only. A ball delivered that is either behind the batter or just a bit outside.
                              no ball - a bad delivery. 1 run & you have to rebowl. In T20 and ODI this us followed by a free hit in which the batter cannot be put out unless he is run out.
                              Well, I'm recovering from surgery still, so when is the next match?
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Well, I'm recovering from surgery still, so when is the next match?
                                7/24 0600 ET Test match Ireland @ England. This won't go beyond the 3rd day.

7/26, 7/28, 7/31 0500 ET. ODIs. Bangladesh @ Sri Lanka

8/1 0600 ET The Ashes Match 1. Australia @ England. Test Cricket. This should be fun.

8/3, 8/4, 8/6 1030 ET. T20 India @ West Indies

I think the first 2 India @ West Indies are in Ft. Lauderdale. Prices are NFL level.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X