This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

I'll tell you what I'm thinking with these latest developments ... more than at any time over the past two seasons, I truly believe there is a significant chance that Coach Umile won't be back next season. Souza seems to have picked up the pace, and many (if not most) of these recent late pick-ups look to be slated to come to Durham next season. It's not exactly been in the Umile playbook to bring in a lot of young guys earlier than usual, and have expectations of them playing right away. This recent big push on the back end - admittedly an area of extreme need regardless - for next season might be the first signal that Coach Souza has been given the green light and full control over the team's future ... beginning a year early. It's just so different than what we've been accustomed to, for a long time.

Maybe it's just part of the plan for Year Three, I suppose? One does get the impression that Boyd is not expected back, which is too bad, but not all that unusual at a transition point in the program, had it not been for his medical condition. So that's three guys out, 3-4 guys in, and the likes of Marks and Wyse being the only returnees likely to be guaranteed regular time, while Dawson and Chanter try to hold onto their slots in the face of the incoming frosh, while Nonis goes back to being the spare part he probably always was projected to be anyway.

It all just feels very different, and my gut tells me this late push is happening for a reason.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I'll tell you what I'm thinking with these latest developments ... more than at any time over the past two seasons, I truly believe there is a significant chance that Coach Umile won't be back next season. Souza seems to have picked up the pace, and many (if not most) of these recent late pick-ups look to be slated to come to Durham next season. It's not exactly been in the Umile playbook to bring in a lot of young guys earlier than usual, and have expectations of them playing right away. This recent big push on the back end - admittedly an area of extreme need regardless - for next season might be the first signal that Coach Souza has been given the green light and full control over the team's future ... beginning a year early. It's just so different than what we've been accustomed to, for a long time.

Maybe it's just part of the plan for Year Three, I suppose? One does get the impression that Boyd is not expected back, which is too bad, but not all that unusual at a transition point in the program, had it not been for his medical condition. So that's three guys out, 3-4 guys in, and the likes of Marks and Wyse being the only returnees likely to be guaranteed regular time, while Dawson and Chanter try to hold onto their slots in the face of the incoming frosh, while Nonis goes back to being the spare part he probably always was projected to be anyway.

It all just feels very different, and my gut tells me this late push is happening for a reason.
      I am in total agreement. I think this will be it for Umile and Souza takes over immediately after season. As you posted - seems like Souza is taking the reigns and running with the recent moves. Maybe a long run in HE tourney changes that but I think Umile is done this season.

Just reaching here but it would be interesting to see who Souza brings in as assistant coach - a hugely important recruiting role. Any chance they grab Mike Ayers from BC? He has the roots at UNH and obviously has a great pulse on the recruiting trail.
      Last edited by Lemonade; 02-27-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Bring in some Finns!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Well Chuck, everything happens for a reason!! "Only the shadow knows" if what you are saying is indeed the reason we are seeing a sudden flurry of activity where the D is concerned and not a moment too soon. I suspect this is mostly due to the fact that it could be a very real possibility that we will need to replace 3 rather than the 2 expected (graduation) with the health concerns Boyd has. I didn't see his name listed on the 'inactive' list posted at the 'Whitt Friday. Not to get into his personal situation and I hope that he is ok of course and I wish him the very best regardless.

That all being said "desperate times call for desperate measures" and we are indeed at this point with the D. You are most likely correct that Souza is building for his future. Will it come sooner than expected? Hard to say; I have my doubts but I will not be surprised if what you speculate is indeed true. It's beyond exciting (to me anyway) that Gildon is indeed coming next season along with Maass.

As per these new players taking over more experienced D? When you think about it, this is only the first real year that Chanter has gotten any measurable playing time. But he (Chanter) will be called upon next season along with Dawson for their time put in; their experience is huge. It can only get better on the blue line although we will surely miss Cleland.

Marks is going to have to step up his game next season he is indeed due. Wyse shows so much potential...I hope he's ready to go for the weekend. The other newcomers (Darcy/Miller) I know nothing about them but look forward to what they will bring. (I see Miller has 18 points with the Vees this season) Jury is still out on Nick Nonnis but he has gotten some valuable ice time which can only be seen as a positive. Nobody is riding the pine this season that's for sure with injuries/illness.

At any rate IMO finally UNH is able to begin the re-build process in earnest with these additions to our D. I'm beyond thrilled while knowing it's going to be tough to replace what TyK and Cleland brings to our offense. Not sure who will step up to be playmaker but I have a feeling they will make it work. I'm willing to be patient.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-27-2017, 08:24 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            I am in total agreement. I think this will be it for Umile and Souza takes over immediately after season. As you posted - seems like Souza is taking the reigns and running with the recent moves. Maybe a long run in HE tourney changes that but I think Umile is done this season.

Just reaching here but it would be interesting to see who Souza brings in as assistant coach - a hugely important recruiting role. Any chance they grab Mike Ayers from BC? He has the roots at UNH and obviously has a great pulse on the recruiting trail.
            I was thinking Ayers as well but don't know/think UNH can pay him what he's prob. getting at BC...(pure speculation) Regardless; this new coach (when they arrive) hopefully will have a huge defensive (and recruiting) background. Perfect world scenario, of course! At any rate I am enjoying the 'possibility thinking' going around this thread right now!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              No. Just Limoges is top uncommitted (former Cornell commit) forward. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=187534

A linemate of Kelleher at TriCity, so perhaps there's a relationship there. If we are finally seeing a typical new boss situation -- see below -- we might have room to offer him a spot next year, and he would be a big help for next and also for 2018, when there is a bigger need for an impact kid on the top lines.

In a typical transition, the new coach brings in his guys to compete and replace a lot of the weaker players on the former coach's roster. It has the benefits of forcing competition, getting loyalty from the new kids who are understood to be part of the new coach's "guys" -- a selling point to lure recruits. Leaving the "full ride" new guys, the new coach can offer them a promise of taking less money the first year, with a more realistic prospect of getting more in later years -- more certainty when you are one of the new guys' guys. The older guys are offered the prospects of having their promises honored, but being told (and signalled) that realistically they will be the 10th defenseman. That means many of these situations are sorted out by next year.

Given that this is how it usually happens, I was very surprised that Souza had not already brought in many decently talented guys who could compete for spots and have a prospect of being top 3 line guys. Not only did they not bring in a lot of volume, they actually underspent their scholarship money (just a rough calculation), with Foegele, Poturalski, Ryczek and Masonius money coming of the books and scholarships being given only to two new guys (Dawson, Wyse). Instead, they were very lean this year, and the roster has lots of limited to none-scholarship kids like Cefalu, Nonis, Sacco, Miller or partial kids like Boyd, Salvaggio, Jamie Hill. There should be lots of money available. So combine the availability, with the need for competition and depth, and we are finally seeing something closer to a usual model of Souza bringing in his guys.

Speaking of Tri-City and Texas, how about Jace Foskey and Michael Gildon (report from USHR last summer's Select 15 camp)

And bringing this Texas connection full circle, Michael Gildon projects to be like Scott Morrow (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5979), who I noted back in December, when Wazney committed, was also a power forward from Plano Texas who was part of Bob Kullen's upsurge in recruiting when he took over from Coach Holt. He played for UNH 88-92 when Umile used Kullen's recruits to get UNH back to respectability, and later the NHL.

And one final return to recruiting, as Dan mentioned then, Scott Morrow's son is a top 8th grader (huh?).
              Lots of fun speculation in this single post, but most are fairly realistic yet promising options as well.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

im not sure I'm ready to buy that Umile is walking away. It's certainly possible he recognizes that next year, while potentially a big step towards the future could still be worse than this season in the short term and doesn't want to go through that. It is just as likely he doubles down and refuses to go out on the sour note this season has left him with, believing he can make more out of next year. That's what I see his pride deciding, but we will know soon enough...

As for Souza's assistant hire - it is my hope that he is willing to be patient, open up the search process and make the best hire even if it is someone he isn't familiar with or has strengths/experience Souza does not have. That's what successful people do.

It still could be Ayers in that scenario - and if it is a UNH guy that's who id like to see get the job. Ayers had connections from working at the US NTDP, a long list of elite connections from his time at BC and is a highly regarded and sought after goaltending instructor (Strelow, etc)...

Question marks for Ayers would be - exactly how involved in recruiting is he at BC (with York and Brown there). If I am not mistaken, he also coaches the forwards on the Heights (he runs that group on the bench), which is also the strength of Souza and Stewart...
                Last edited by Dan; 02-27-2017, 10:11 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  im not sure I'm ready to buy that Umile is walking away. It's certainly possible he recognizes that next year, while potentially a big step towards the future could still be worse than this season in the short term and doesn't want to go through that. It is just as likely he doubles down and refuses to go out on the sour note this season has left him with, believing he can make more out of next year. That's what I see his pride deciding, but we will know soon enough...

As for Souza's assistant hire - it is my hope that he is willing to be patient, open up the search process and make the best hire even if it is someone he isn't familiar with or has strengths/experience Souza does not have. That's what successful people do.

It still could be Ayers in that scenario - and if it is a UNH guy that's who is like to see get the job. Ayers had connections from working at the US NTDP, a long list of elite connections from his time at BC and is a highly regarded and sought after goaltending instructor (Strelow, etc)...

Question marks for Ayers would be - exactly how involved in recruiting is he at BC (with York and Brown there). If I am not mistaken, he also coaches the forwards on the Heights (he runs that group on the bench), which is also the strength of Souza and Stewart...
                  Vaild points. Also I am not sure if the UNH asst job is seen as a step up from the BC asst job - if anything its a lateral move or probably a step back in term of pay and status. Unless Ayers really wants to come back to UNH he may not be the best fit as you mention they are in need of a defensive coach on the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    I suspect this is mostly due to the fact that it could be a very real possibility that we will need to replace 3 rather than the 2 expected (graduation) with the health concerns Boyd has. I didn't see his name listed on the 'inactive' list posted at the 'Whitt Friday.
                    Boyd has not been listed on the inactive list since at least the Provience series but has been seen with the inactive players all along. We speculated earlier this could be a possible medical redshirt situation but there is the very real possibility that he is not going to return. Both this season and last he has lost considerable time and it just may not be in the cards for him to continue.

I hope he can continue as he is a solid D-man back there in a bottom 4 role, but if it is going to cause him complications with his medical condition we will obviously wish him the best and he will move on.

Back to Chuck's question, does anyone have anything on Ryan Gaudin? I looked at his hockeydb info but I haven't reached the point of digging into recruiting info too much. With all the excitement around Gildon (rightfully so) I have not seen anything on him besides the quick breakdown from C-H-C.

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Several Hockey East schools and a few ECAC Hockey schools are in on Aidan McDonough of Thayer, listed here as top uncommitted '99 in New England:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...ri-hartikainen
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

Back to Chuck's question, does anyone have anything on Ryan Gaudin? I looked at his hockeydb info but I haven't reached the point of digging into recruiting info too much. With all the excitement around Gildon (rightfully so) I have not seen anything on him besides the quick breakdown from C-H-C.
                        Thanks to Jeff Cox for debunking the "fake news" contained in the tweet on Ryan Gaulin! He has not committed to UNH.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 02-27-2017, 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling error
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Bring in some Finns!
                          https://***********/du_hockey/status/836103900642050048
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

https://***********/du_hockey/status/836103900642050048
                            No wonder they (DU) are number one!!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I've always been aware of the plan for Maass, Miller and Darcy to come next season. We are all also well aware that UNH has changed plans in the past, often making the wrong decision. That Gildon was even available had to be a surprise and taking him next year is a no-brainer.

Watchers take is a good one and makes a lot of sense, IF UNH thinks Gildon, Maass and Miller would all be expected to see serious minutes next season OR will be recruited over in that fifth season down the road (Darcy is 20, and must come next fall).

Gildon, to me, is a top-four lock immediately. Perhaps even top-two. Maass' and Miller's immediate PT are less certain. I noticed, Watcher left Miller out of a projected top six. I have him in mine, with questions on Maass due to his limited junior career.

UNH is desperate on D - but if either or both come and do not play right away is that the right choice? If UNH thinks one or the other might sit much of next season, but could be a top-pair contributor 3-4 years from now would they be better served playing consistently for a junior team next winter?

What are people's thoughts on their immediate versus long term potential - taking future D recruiting into account of course.

Next fall, you have to think Marks, Wyse are locks to play regularly. Gildon has to be in the line-up. So that leaves three spots with Chanter and Dawson returning as regular contributors and Boyd taking a regular shift early this year, as well as the other three freshman. Six skaters competing for three spots.

Watcher - this is where you are likely exactly right in why there will be so many D on next years roster. Is this what you want to see? Think is the best recruiting management? Or would you do things differently?

Are Maass, Miller or Darcy ready to and capable of unseating much more experienced upperclassmen? It only gets more complicated if Darcy, who has struggled to match initial expectations upon his commitment, can be who Borek thought he would be. Is the increased competition and minor 2017-18 upgrade worth wasted eligibility? That depends A LOT on who they add in the next few years of recruiting.

Will Umile be interested at all in playing for the future, playing perhaps more talented but developing and mistake prone freshman ahead of dependable but deficient and maxed out upperclass D to assist future teams D units?

As alluded to above - and evidenced by Gildon - deferring risks losing recruits. You also saw Poturalski and Blackburn encouraged to defer - Poturalski took off and UNH got two years out of him instead of three. Might Blackburn do the same?

Knodel and Agosta were both 20, but assuming they were 19 would they have been better served by redshirting (working out and practicing with the team) or playing juniors? Redshirting would be an option again, of course - but UNH would risk losing them with eligibility remaining like they did with both Knodel and Agosta.

It raises a lot of questions without knowing exactly the coaches opinions of these players...
                              Like you I have questions about Maass. But 'Watcher likes him, so I will defer to his expertise. I did hear some chatter a few games back regarding Maass, and that he picked UNH because they wanted him next year. (Have no idea if the person making the claim knew what he was talking about.) So you have to wonder if Maass might be a flight risk if pushed back.

To your broader point, people always say that Bill Belichick would rather get rid of a player a year too early rather than a year too late. (I'm not sure if that is really the case.) When it comes to college hockey players today, I would rather bring them in a year too early rather than a year too late.
                              Last edited by Felger; 02-27-2017, 04:44 PM.
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                Like you I have questions about Maass. But 'Watcher likes him, so I will defer to his expertise. I did hear some chatter a few games back regarding Maass, and that he picked UNH because they wanted him next year. (Have no idea if the person making the claim knew what he was talking about.) So you have to wonder if Maass might be a flight risk if pushed back.

To your broader point, people always say that Bill Belichick would rather get rid of a player a year too early rather than a year too late. (I'm not sure if that is really the case.) When it comes to college hockey players today, I would rather bring them in a year too early rather than a year too late.
                                After the fiascos with LaLeggia and Vecchione, the default position should be earlier not later. UNH is not in any position to defer any kid with a modicum of talent. As for the speculation (Chuck's) that Umile might leave a year early, just don't see it. He's always been an ultra-competitive guy so, unless his DNA has been altered somehow, I think his pride would not allow him to quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X