Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 255

Thread: Gender Studies I

  1. #181
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Latinx atleastmakes some sense because Latino is a gender-specific term. Even though it’s widely accepted as an inclusive term until the Wokelympics came along.

    Womyn and womxn is just dumb and done out of spite.

  2. #182
    Kicizapi Cetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    15,378

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    How is this stuff ever going to seem normal if we keep making up special (separate but equal) words for it?
    I understand the want to be "x" or "y" (Latinx, womyn) to point out the differences. As an interim step to point out difference and inequality it's influential. It makes people think. But in the end it'll be marginalizing. The goal is to have the same regard as the whole but still be unique (yourself); you can't be regarded as an co-equal of the whole if you insist on being uniquely separated from it by name. So to sum up: to get regarded and seen as unique but still co-equal it's a great move, but to stay self-labeled could continue to force folks to the margins.

    Mentioning separate but equal words: I'm tiring of it when it comes to crimes. "Hate" or "special circumstances" crimes labels downplay the core crime. Murder is murder. I don't care why you did it; if you did it you're going away.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  3. #183
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,775
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I understand the want to be "x" or "y" (Latinx, womyn) to point out the differences. As an interim step to point out difference and inequality it's influential. It makes people think. But in the end it'll be marginalizing. The goal is to have the same regard as the whole but still be unique (yourself); you can't be regarded as an co-equal of the whole if you insist on being uniquely separated from it by name. So to sum up: to get regarded and seen as unique but still co-equal it's a great move, but to stay self-labeled could continue to force folks to the margins.

    Mentioning separate but equal words: I'm tiring of it when it comes to crimes. "Hate" or "special circumstances" crimes labels downplay the core crime. Murder is murder. I don't care why you did it; if you did it you're going away.
    Can I assume you're also against laws which enhance penalties for crimes against cops?

  4. #184
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,423

    Re: Gender Studies I

    The main takeaway here is, it aint up to us. Our opinions spectacularly do not matter.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #185
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Yes, we get it. Men can’t talk about the English language. Or women. Or anything.

  6. #186
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,775

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The main takeaway here is, it aint up to us. Our opinions spectacularly do not matter.
    And yet, you continue to provide yours.

  7. #187
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Here’s the thing. We can talk about the words and their spellings. What we don’t get an opinion on is whether these groups get an opinion or how they should feel.

    Your argument is reductive and doesn’t move the needle. Which is what matters. Sorry Kep.

  8. #188
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,423

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And yet, you continue to provide yours.
    And?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  9. #189
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,423

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yes, we get it. Men can’t talk about the English language. Or women. Or anything.
    I weep for our oppression.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  10. #190
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Sorry. That was flippant. My other reply wasn’t.

  11. #191
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,775

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    And?
    I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you. I think it'd be far simpler to just shut up like I mostly have on this thread, and leave it at that.

    But maybe that's just me.

  12. #192
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you. I think it'd be far simpler to just shut up like I mostly have on this thread, and leave it at that.

    But maybe that's just me.
    Can I drag you into this pit? What are your thoughts? You are, as Kepler had said in the past, one of the (maybe) four or five voices of reason on this board. I know you’ve said in the past that you aren’t completely on board with using ‘they’ as singular. I assume that’s your law background coming out? Similarly, strict adherence to rules and norms was beaten into me by my professors so I’m not terribly woke on this issue.

    As always, curious about your thoughts.

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,904

    Re: Gender Studies I

    I think women is fine, but I say that as someone born female so I don’t want to speak for others and cause offense.

  14. #194
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,600

    Re: Gender Studies I

    As a trans woman, "women/woman" doesn't really bother me, but as my generation says, "you do you, boo."
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  15. #195
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,775
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Can I drag you into this pit? What are your thoughts? You are, as Kepler had said in the past, one of the (maybe) four or five voices of reason on this board. I know you’ve said in the past that you aren’t completely on board with using ‘they’ as singular. I assume that’s your law background coming out? Similarly, strict adherence to rules and norms was beaten into me by my professors so I’m not terribly woke on this issue.

    As always, curious about your thoughts.
    I personally hate womyn, womxn, and the like. Partly because I simply think those terms are stupid, partly because the use of such terms is a complete unforced error politically made by otherwise intelligent people (pretty much all of whom are liberal academics from New England or the Pacific Northwest). You're simply opening yourself up to having a significant portion of the population roll their eyes at you and dismiss everything you say after that, and it's completely unnecessary. It's not like 'woman/women' is gender's version of the N-word, for Christ's sake.

    Kepler is right that language evolves and words can change their meaning over time. But what he forgets is that many words don't change over time, and history is littered with fads that disappeared a generation or two later. Certain feminists have been trying to normalize womyn since the 60s, and it still hasn't caught on 60 years later. I'm not holding my breath that it will in the next 60, either.

    'They' as a singular simply grinds my gears as grammar Nazi. It's a third person plural pronoun. I realize people use it as a singular all the time, especially in speech when referring to collective singulars (How'd State do today? They won), but in formal written prose, it's not a singular pronoun. Sorry.

    I realize that in 40 years when I'm in the retirement home, this may make me the same as my southern grandmother who referred to black people as 'colored' till the day she died. It's almost inevitable that we'll all have at least one or two such things (if not many, many more).

    Which is why intent matters. A ****** referring to Amber as a man repeatedly is a ****** because he is being intentionally disrespectful. And that's regardless of the words actually used (or not used). My grandmother referring to people as colored, while groan inducing, was a lesser offense because there wasn't harmful intent in it.

    If society really wants to go down a route of having an infinite number of terms for every individual characteristic out there, it'll happen whether I like it or not. But people better grow some really thick skin, then, because it will lead to more and more instances where the wrong term is used, often for innocent reasons.

  16. #196
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,423

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you.
    Wha---?

    I know the Dartmouth game is Friday but chill bra.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  17. #197
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,600

    Re: Gender Studies I

    "singular they is improper written prose."- People who claim they're "Grammar Nazis."

    APA Style (which is what I use when writing papers for my MSW) disagrees with you.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  18. #198
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,914

    Re: Gender Studies I

    APA also states that there should only be one space between sentences. They’re monsters.

  19. #199
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,395

    Re: Gender Studies I

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    APA also states that there should only be one space between sentences. They’re monsters.
    TWO SPACES, GODDAMMIT. See? Right here. Two spaces.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #200
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,600

    Re: Gender Studies I

    AP Style and Chicago Style also mandate singular they.

    The only major style guide to not mandate singular they is MLA. I should know... I keep up with this stuff.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •