Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I was meaning on how someone determines if it's a lake, a pond, etc.
    Oh sure. By those standards, Orchard Lake (not THAT "big money" Orchard Lake in metro Detroit) is definitely a lake.

Comment

I just remember the ten thousand lakes ten acres rule of thumb.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I just remember the ten thousand lakes ten acres rule of thumb.
        We have, officially, 11,842 bodies of water that are classified as lakes, based upon a size requirements someone put forth somewhere. However, those requirements are not set forth by the State of MN, per the DNR's site.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          We have, officially, 11,842 bodies of water that are classified as lakes, based upon a size requirements someone put forth somewhere. However, those requirements are not set forth by the State of MN, per the DNR's site.
          So, the DNR is kind of going with, "If we say it's a lake, it's a lake. That's all that counts."
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So, the DNR is kind of going with, "If we say it's a lake, it's a lake. That's all that counts."
            Yeah, it's weird. Someone in the state has declared a value somewhere, because I recall reading some values somewhere. All bodies of water over X acres came up to that 11,842 (which I remember from that MN Twins commercial, "We know that '10,000 lakes" is really Minnesota Nice for 11,842."). I also remember reading that if we used the same size here as our neighboring states, we would actually tally over 14,000 lakes here.

Also, the difference between a pond and a swamp is that a pond's water has a flow to it, like a lake, while a swamp's water is stagnant.

Lastly, around the St. Cloud are is supposed to get snow while we get rain.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Yeah, it's weird. Someone in the state has declared a value somewhere, because I recall reading some values somewhere. All bodies of water over X acres came up to that 11,842 (which I remember from that MN Twins commercial, "We know that '10,000 lakes" is really Minnesota Nice for 11,842."). I also remember reading that if we used the same size here as our neighboring states, we would actually tally over 14,000 lakes here.

Also, the difference between a pond and a swamp is that a pond's water has a flow to it, like a lake, while a swamp's water is stagnant.

Lastly, around the St. Cloud are is supposed to get snow while we get rain.
              That's what I was thinking of, but can't remember the source.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Well, did it snow or not??
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Supposed to happen tomorrow night/Monday during the day.

Comment

If there's a size requirement than no.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      If there's a size requirement than no.
                      Reading their description, there is no set size requirement. Some other party DID set a size requirement, though, hence the confusion.

Comment

Ten thousand. Ten acres.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Reading their description, there is no set size requirement. Some other party DID set a size requirement, though, hence the confusion.
                          As far as I know the official count iincludes only of bodies 10 acres or more.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-30-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It's snowing in downtown Minneapolis right now.

Comment

It's snowing something fierce in Cottage Grove.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Ten thousand. Ten acres.
                                If Minnesota has 10,000 actual lakes, then Wisconsin has 100,000 of them. 10,000 ponds, maybe. Pondettes.

Comment

Working...
                                X