Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AHA Ups Scholarship Limit to 18

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    Might be because they get to play Army two to three times a year in the AHA and only once if they weren't in the conference. Plus...with Navy joining D-1 in hockey and the AHA, it's a party! (please note, I have no evidence to support this statement!)

Back to scholarships, it's a shame the NCAA has a rule that reduces a teams ability to compete (not that RIT is hurting from it for the most part) but imagine if they could offer them, I think they would!
    They have to draw the line somewhere, 18 scholarships is a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
      Well technically the service academies don't give scholarships because tuition is already $0.

The Ivies as a group choose not to give athletic scholarships, but they aren't prohibited from doing so.

RIT and Union are the only teams prohibited by the NCAA from giving scholarships. Union chose not to join the grandfather clause allowing D3 playups to give them (and still expresses no interest in doing so).
      RIT went D1 after the rule was made and therefore is the only school not giving scholarships against their will.
      Ivy students are rich and therefore don't need the money. Money doesn't always matter. The academy students don't pay tuition but are bound to work for the branch for a set number of years after graduation. Is that a scholarship? I'd say so, everyone has to work somewhere. They know that deal going in.

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
        RIT, AFA, and Army still cannot give any athletic scholarships however, correct?
        Technically AFA and Army are the only schools that can give more than 18 scholarships the whole team is on scholarship.

The NCAA rule says only 18 hockey specific scholarships but a school can give everyone a scholarship and that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I guarantee at least one of them won't offer any.

Just because they're allotted 18 doesn't mean they have to give them. I wonder if some of the eastern AHC schools give any for ice hockey at all; UCONN didn't when they were in the AHA.
          Some don't offer any at all that is right, like Ivy League because their students are rich or get other financial aid and money doesn't matter so they wouldn't be there in the first place if it was an issue.

But if a school bothers to offer 16 they will offer 18 it's the same thing at that point. Otherwise they are crippling their team's recruiting and not actually trying to win. 2 more seats in a classroom and 2 more people who get to share a dorm room and cafeteria seat won't bankrupt any schools. They get no other compensation.

The unusual 16 limit was designed to keep bigger schools out of the conference but eventually Army and Air Force joined which actually can offer more than 18 since all the students are on scholarship, since they are not hockey-specific it was a loophole, finally rendered moot by this change.
          Last edited by Go___Tech_Gold; 09-08-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Atlantic is currently 14 Scholarships, raising to 18.

Ivy league colleges have no athletic scholarships but everyone is entitled to needs based financial assistance so no issue with attracting kids and competing. RIT is also needs based financial assistance no issue there, Army and Air Force free for serving.

With going from 14 to 18 it means another four chairs in the classroom, room and board which negates income from other paying students. While it does not sound like much, to some colleges with very low enrollments and little by way of sponsors I believe some will not partake in issuing all 18.

As of late I am hearing good things with AIC starting to show a strong desire to compete, and Bentley in the throws of building a new facility to name just two things. Everything is positive moving forward as a conference, and for NCAA as a whole.

Comment

I know some programs in AH have been pushing for years to make this scholarship increase happen. I wonder how much of this move was that ground swell finally turning to action and how much of it might have been a defensive posture by AH to eliminate any potential motivation for a team to jump out of the conference if they see another D-I college shake-up on the horizon?

Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I have to agree that this helps offset some of the bad news coming out of the west.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                  Ivy students are rich and therefore don't need the money. Money doesn't always matter. The academy students don't pay tuition but are bound to work for the branch for a set number of years after graduation. Is that a scholarship? I'd say so, everyone has to work somewhere. They know that deal going in.
                  Actually, it falls under the Federal Work Study Program .....of course it's a scholarship, you get a scholarship, he gets a scholarship, everybody gets a scholarship who attends a military academy. I believe David Robinson did not have to serve any time on active duty after he graduated though so there are exceptions to the rule that you have to give 6 years back to the service where you attended school.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Might be because they get to play Army two to three times a year in the AHA and only once if they weren't in the conference. Plus...with Navy joining D-1 in hockey and the AHA, it's a party! (please note, I have no evidence to support this statement!)
                    Two times one year, and four times another year, right?

Comment

Actually, it falls under the Federal Work Study Program .....of course it's a scholarship, you get a scholarship, he gets a scholarship, everybody gets a scholarship who attends a military academy. I believe David Robinson did not have to serve any time on active duty after he graduated though so there are exceptions to the rule that you have to give 6 years back to the service where you attended school.
                      He did serve but only 2 yrs and regardless it was probably the best PR for the Navy. He also needed and got special consideration as he was too tall to even join.

Comment

Back to scholarships, it's a shame the NCAA has a rule that reduces a teams ability to compete (not that RIT is hurting from it for the most part) but imagine if they could offer them, I think they would!
                        If you look at Navy's website on this question they say they don't want to set them up to fail by going D1.

D1 Hockey is also expensive.

Comment

If you look at Navy's website on this question they say they don't want to set them up to fail by going D1.

D1 Hockey is also expensive.
                          For the price of one F-35 aircraft, you could fund Navy Hockey in perpetuity.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The academy students don't pay tuition but are bound to work for the branch for a set number of years after graduation. Is that a scholarship? I'd say so, everyone has to work somewhere. They know that deal going in.
                            I believe that rule applies only if they stay all four years, correct? If they leave after two, they don't have to go serve. But your point is still valid.
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              He did serve but only 2 yrs and regardless it was probably the best PR for the Navy. He also needed and got special consideration as he was too tall to even join.
                              Navy Recruiter....hmmm, you seem too tall to join.

David Robinson...I'm an excellent basketball player!

Navy Recruiter...Off to the Academy you go!

Yes, quite the PR job for the Navy but they all knew he'd never get sea duty out of this gig but it was a good result for all involved.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Two times one year, and four times another year, right?
                                Sure, why not....play AFA one night, an OCC game the next out in Denver and vice versa or just play each other in their own barns for two games twice a year. I could research it but I bet their attendance is at the max when they play each other.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X