Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Who gets pneumonia in the summer? I normally associate that malady with flu season.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Who gets pneumonia in the summer? I normally associate that malady with flu season.
      I've had a co-worker or two get it in summer. It's not common, but can happen.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

One of the talking heads on Meet the Press today claimed that since WWII the more likable candidate has won the race for President.

They claimed put all the other stuff aside, the more likable person won every time.

I bet Charles Manson is kicking himself for not running an indy campaign.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

All you need is weakened immune system like someone taking chemo
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            There is a gray area, you know. You can support a candidate without agreeing with EVERYTHING they say.
            If you have to agree with everything a candidate says, soon we'll have candidates that say nothing.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If you have to agree with everything a candidate says, soon we'll have candidates that say nothing.
              I know. Tell that to Maize and company....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The thing that strikes me about HRC's comments on Trump's supporters is the contrast it creates between her and her husband. Bill Clinton would have never uttered such a statement, probably because he instinctively understands it's not true.

I bet it would be fascinating to spend an extended period of time in Little Rock talking to people who were around when the Clintons were there. Almost certainly you would be left with the impression that Bill was "one of us", someone who notwithstanding his political leanings understood his friends and neighbors in the South, while HRC was someone who was simply plotting her way out.

So long as politicians and their supporters on the left continue to accept the What's the matter with Kansas? tripe that today's conservatives are a bunch of ignorant, uneducated, bible-thumping, bigoted hicks, led around by their noses by the likes of the Koch brothers and Fox News, then they will continue to be puzzled by stories like we saw in Minnesota today that the Iron Range, of all places, is suddenly a place where Donald Trump is making inroads.

For those interested in digging a little deeper into who Donald Trump's supporters really are, what they believe, and why they vote the way they do, I commend for your reading pleasure the truly extraordinary book by Arlie Russel Hochschild, Strangers in Their Own Land. It's a quick read, but quite worth it.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Pneumonia is more commonly caused by bacterial infection and not a virus, like the flu. It can also be caused by something other than a virus or bacteria. Flu is only caused by some variant of a flu virus, and while somewhat more common in the cold months in the U.S., can and frequently does any time during the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    So long as politicians and their supporters on the left continue to accept the What's the matter with Kansas? tripe that today's conservatives are a bunch of ignorant, uneducated, bible-thumping, bigoted hicks, led around by their noses by the likes of the Koch brothers and Fox News, then they will continue to be puzzled by stories like we saw in Minnesota today that the Iron Range, of all places, is suddenly a place where Donald Trump is making inroads.
                    1. We're talking about the Iron Range that is predominantly white and relies on increasingly diminishing blue collar labor, correct?

2. If those assumptions are false, why is Donald Trump his party's candidate?
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      I just posted I got it at camp...that was during the summer. It happens quite a bit actually. Usually it starts as a cold which kills the immune system and then you get run down. Being run down and already sick allows the pneumonia to kick in.
                      Last edited by Handyman; 09-11-2016, 07:44 PM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The thing that strikes me about HRC's comments on Trump's supporters is the contrast it creates between her and her husband. Bill Clinton would have never uttered such a statement, probably because he instinctively understands it's not true.
                        This statement is not supported by the facts at all. Anyone who does not believe that some substantial portion of Trump supporters are not exactly how Clinton described them has their head in the sand or is ignorant. Polls, social media, mainstream media, and MY OWN EYES AFTER SEEING FAR TOO MANY TRUMP RALLIES UP CLOSE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR have all revealed a startling amount of support for Trump is found in the most bigoted and racist corners of this country. Perhaps the Republican candidates in all of the recent elections enjoyed the same kind of support but since none of them made an astounding number of racist statements while running those folks kept to the shadows. Most people, when they find out about my basic views on any number of current political hot button issues, are surprised I do not identify as a Republican, so I know all Republican's are not ignorant or uneducated or bible thumpers. Maybe Hillary got the percentage wrong, but her statement about his supporters holds infinitely more water than virtually anything coming out of Trumps mouth.

Comment

Bill Clinton would have never uttered such a statement, probably because he instinctively understands it's not true.
                          It's not true? You can argue the exact percentage numbers all day long, and claim that she's wrong when she says it's 50%, but you cannot say that she's incorrect in her assessment of a sizeable proportion of Trump's support. That you would even claim that this isn't so demonstrates either how far you're removed from reality, or the lengths you will go in making excuses for that demographic,.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

A Facebook post by an Indie author.

I remember it well, the 1980s and we were going through Soviet Premiers like nobody's business. One day they'd be fine. Then they'd disappear from public. Then they'd be reported to have "dehydrallergymonia" then there'd be a new Premier and a state funeral. Bam, three in just a few years. It was predictable. It made us feel safe like order always does. Dehydrallergymonia was a code word for vodka/cigarette/cancer/renalfailure/poisoning. Yep, back then there was none of this messing around with hashtags and coughing videos and twitter speculation. We did things straight forward. When you got deyhdrallergymonia you were leaving office soon. Those were the days.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              MNS (poster here) fainted due to coughing on a road trip. It is more common than thought (he wasn't sick, nor was he drunk). It was scary to see. He stood up while coughing, then his head hit the corner of a table as he was fainting, breaking his nose.

And yes, pneumonia does linger (also bronchitis). It's a beech to get rid of (have had both in my lifetime).
                              Yep, I had bronchitis quite a few years ago, and was sitting here at the computer when I had a coughing spell. Next thing I know, i was picking myself up off the floor, no idea how I got there.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Let him go...he is rolling.

I wonder if Keith Hernandez is involved in this somehow
                                Fundies!
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X