Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    What if it's vice versa and Hill folds under pressure?
    As someone who has seen him talk I can tell you that aint happening.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

If Trump feels pressure in the debates, he'll go schoolyard bully and roll out a couple "Crooked Hillary" lines. His face will turn red (oranger?), he'll get a bit louder, but he won't go raving and folk won't be able to claim he was raving mad. Threshold for this to start is pressure of a 5 on a 10 scale.

If Hillary feels pressure in the debates, she'll get loud and right to the edge of offensively obnoxious (see: behavior in Benghazi testimony). But she will look raving mad if it happens. Threshold for this to start however is pressure of an 8 on a 10 scale.

So the question is: When (not if) Hillary pressures Trump to his 5 pressure level, can he use that to push her to her 8 pressure level?
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        If Trump feels pressure in the debates, he'll go schoolyard bully and roll out a couple "Crooked Hillary" lines. His face will turn red (oranger?), he'll get a bit louder, but he won't go raving and folk won't be able to claim he was raving mad. Threshold for this to start is pressure of a 5 on a 10 scale.

If Hillary feels pressure in the debates, she'll get loud and right to the edge of offensively obnoxious (see: behavior in Benghazi testimony). But she will look raving mad if it happens. Threshold for this to start however is pressure of an 8 on a 10 scale.

So the question is: When (not if) Hillary pressures Trump to his 5 pressure level, can he use that to push her to her 8 pressure level?
        Behavior in the Benghazi testimony...what exactly was that? You mean the one point in like 8 hours of them ranting at her and her saying "*** are you talking about?" You are kidding right? The only ones ranting and raving were the nimrods trying to go after her and being owned.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Behavior in the Benghazi testimony...what exactly was that? You mean the one point in like 8 hours of them ranting at her and her saying "*** are you talking about?" You are kidding right? The only ones ranting and raving were the nimrods trying to go after her and being owned.
          All it takes is one exchange like this, that few American voters have seen, during the debate.

Worse? Trump is perceived as ranting and raving all the time. Anything less than that is good for him. Anything like the Benghazi comments and gesticulations harms Hillary on live, national TV.

Do I think Trump can drive her there? Nope. But he'll try.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            So Trump's campaign is worried about his standing in the race as we write, even his own kids, yet he's on the march and about to overtake Hillary?

Huh...
            That's not the dynamic I'm worried about. If he holds serve the rest of the campaign and Hillary continues to fade by the slow drip drip drip all it's going to take is Stein and Johnson peeling off enough votes to get him elected.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure which hearing Sic was watching either. Must have been the Fox News re-enactment. Hillary swatted away 11 hours of BS and left Gowdy sweating like a stuck pig.

Regarding the debates, bombast got Trump where he is now and bombast will continue. I have full confidence in Hillary's ability to turn his attacks back onto him. Trump is about the worst person to try to capitalize on her weaknesses. With multiple bankruptcies, a history of stiffing contractors, discrimination claims, and Mob ties he's not exactly a paragon of virtue on the corruption issue. With a history of infidelity and trading in his wives for younger versions, he really isn't in a position to exploit any Bill Clinton sexcapades from two decades ago. Heck, since he's a year older than her he's the only Gooper candidate who can't play the age card.

Anything can happen and its reeaaal important to set expectations ahead of time. However Trump's going to need multiple strong debates to change his fate.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              That's not the dynamic I'm worried about. If he holds serve the rest of the campaign and Hillary continues to fade by the slow drip drip drip all it's going to take is Stein and Johnson peeling off enough votes to get him elected.
              How could Gary Johnson possibly cost Hillary more votes than Trump? Liberals (pro-govt) and libertarians (anti-govt) have zero in common outside of limiting the reach of the defense department and surveillance state. If Jill Stein starts hitting high single digits, those votes are coming from Hillary but with her "vaccinations cause autism" schtick among other comments I don't see that happening either. Besides the Greens aren't on every state ballot. The libertarians pretty much are.
              Last edited by Rover; 09-01-2016, 02:58 PM.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Or the other time when she went 11 hours calmly. But no, it comes down to her getting frustrated one time in almost 20 hours that they kept asking questions about stuff that in no way addressed the causes of and solutions to the security failures that led to the deaths.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  But no, it comes down to her getting frustrated one time ...
                  In a live TV national debate, all it takes is one time, one slip.

Don't believe me?
                  "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Don't believe me?
                    That side won. I'll bet my taters on that.

Gerry Ford's slip about Poland may have been more damaging.

Things to avoid
                    snark
                    fear
                    loss of composure
                    clueless
                    surprised
                    brow beating/bullying
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Don't believe me?
                      Quayle was a moron. That zinger encapsulated everything about him; that's why it was so effective. It was like Christie's take down of Marco.

Neither of those digs would have had nearly that strong an effect if they hadn't been so fitting.

The other thing is a zinger or a flub might hurt a candidate with little prior public recognition, but Hillary may be the only non-incumbent presidential candidate in history who 100% of the public has not only heard of, but has formed an opinion about. I don't believe anyone's mind is going to be changed about either of the candidates because the geological layers of prior impressions go back at least years for the youngins and decades for the rest of us. There's just no room for anything new. We know these people. We know them far better than most sitting presidents. They're already celebs -- they're running for Celebident.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        That side won. I'll bet my taters on that.

Gerry Ford's slip about Poland may have been more damaging.

Things to avoid
                        snark
                        fear
                        loss of composure
                        clueless
                        surprised
                        brow beating/bullying
                        I only remember 1984 on, but my recollection of debates is that they almost always reinforced pre-conceived notions about the candidates and in some cases put a nail in their coffin because of it. Dukakis was already turned into a cartoon character by the time he underwhelmed in the '88 debates. Bush I was thought be out of touch before he was checking his watch to see how much time was left in '92. Gore's debate performance also reinforced all his negative stereotypes.

Even in cases where someone changed the race initially (Mondale '84, Romney '12) the incumbent righted the ship during the next debate.

I'd say 2004 debates put Kerry back into a race that he was clearly losing at that point but again the end result didn't change. He still lost.

Can't speak to 1960 or 1976 or even 1980.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Without seeing the video, I know what Sic's talking about. "What does it matter? At this point, what does it matter?" She responded to someone's question that way, raising her voice in an exasperated way. It came off as arrogant to a large number of people.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Without seeing the video, I know what Sic's talking about. "What does it matter? At this point, what does it matter?" She responded to someone's question that way, raising her voice in an exasperated way. It came off as arrogant to a large number of people.
                            That is what he is talking about...and it was 1 moment in 20 hours of them grilling her. (over the course of the entire investigation) And guess what, it didnt hurt her one bit outside of the people who hate her anyways. Hell I hate her and I completely agreed with her. The committee wanted to pretend she ordered the death of the people who died which was BS. Plus why are those few lives more important than all the people who died in Iraq over full on lies to Congress?

If Sic wants to believe an hour of Drumpf calling her a liar is going to work the same way AND she wont get him to blow his top at the same time I have oceanfront property in Nodak to sell him
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That is what he is talking about...and it was 1 moment in 20 hours of them grilling her. (over the course of the entire investigation) And guess what, it didnt hurt her one bit outside of the people who hate her anyways. Hell I hate her and I completely agreed with her. The committee wanted to pretend she ordered the death of the people who died which was BS. Plus why are those few lives more important than all the people who died in Iraq over full on lies to Congress?

If Sic wants to believe an hour of Drumpf calling her a liar is going to work the same way AND she wont get him to blow his top at the same time I have oceanfront property in Nodak to sell him
                              You're talking about the substance of the matter, which doesn't mount to a hill of beans to a great many people during an election. Some news agency or morning show can splice a nasty reply out of the recording and loop it for all to see. It creates a perception of a woman that's unhinged. There's not much you can do to combat such a situation, should she allow it to happen.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Mookie's Rasmussen email today reads that tD has pulled back in front in national poles
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X