Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Nobody knows if Trump is a racist, and it doesn't matter. He exploited white working class racism to win the nomination. OK, so Republicans have all done this since Nixon, but he is the first nominee to base his whole campaign on it. Rewarded with office, he would continue to use it to maintain and build popularity. The difference is as a candidate he only has rhetoric, while as an official he would have policy.

Fun's fun, but no way can we let him into a position where he can hurt real people. The media don't care -- their money insulates them from consequences -- so it's up to us to send this twat back home.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-04-2016, 06:06 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Drumpf's actions when it came to his properties back up the claim that he is racist.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Because of course.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Because of course.
          I wonder if Jesus weeps every time a Republican lies or is hypocritical. Oh wait, that must be how God keeps the oceans full.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            I wonder if Jesus weeps every time a Republican lies or is hypocritical. Oh wait, that must be how God keeps the oceans full.
            Well, there are the Clintons and the Kennedys on your side of the ledger.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Not even close. This is another false equivalency. About as meaningful as the modern "necessity" for TV news to be "balanced" instead of factual. Clinton (or Democratic) surrogate comes on and says something factual so a Trump (or Republican) surrogate is given time to say something to the opposite. Fact checkers are already showing Trump to be speaking falsely 4 or 5 times as frequently as Clinton. I'd say the Democratic lies and hypocrisy will certainly keep the Great Lakes filled with Jesus' tears, but the oceans and seas will be kept full by the Republicans and their surrogates.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                When did the Clintons and Kennedys become pastors exactly. Weak effort Joe.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  When did the Clintons and Kennedys become pastors exactly. Weak effort Joe.
                  lies? hypocrites? If you give a pass to those two families, then you are seeing the world thru blue tinted glasses.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Because of course.
                    The pastor protested the line of questioning with, “I thought you were going to do a profile". Um, dude fleshing out the bio from your own web page is doing a profile.

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    Not even close. This is another false equivalency. About as meaningful as the modern "necessity" for TV news to be "balanced" instead of factual.
                    There is nothing wrong with allowing two 'sides' to try to make their case and let the viewer decide if either is full of crap or not. I take it you won't watch any of the debates?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

There is nothing wrong with allowing two 'sides' to try to make their case and let the viewer decide if either is full of crap or not. I take it you won't watch any of the debates?
                      Not my point and not why the media does it. The news media used to present something accurate and factual to the viewers and left it at that. Now if Clinton or a surrogate came on and said 2+2=4 there would be a Trump surrogate on during Clinton's statement there with the opportunity to refute the claim that 2+2=4. It isn't about presenting the who, what, when, where and how. It is about not pi55ing off the other side. A political debate between two candidates in not like that at all, and isn't staged for that purpose. And I doubt I will tune in to the debates. The last ones I watched were between the 3 main 1992 presidential candidates. Since then, even the debates have become more "reality TV" than actual debates where one can learn something about the candidates they did not know. My guess is I'll learn more from the things you and the others in this thread post. I'm serious about that and mean it as a compliment to almost everyone who posts in the campaign threads. Even those I don't agree with.

Comment

Still going to have to pile up a much bigger pile of crap to make any of the other 3 a better candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          lies? hypocrites? If you give a pass to those two families, then you are seeing the world thru blue tinted glasses.
                          I am giving a pass to no one...but your false equivalency of comparing politicians to a pastor who lied and then tried to cover it up when he was caught red handed is hilarious especially for a religious person.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                            Not my point and not why the media does it. The news media used to present something accurate and factual to the viewers and left it at that. Now if Clinton or a surrogate came on and said 2+2=4 there would be a Trump surrogate on during Clinton's statement there with the opportunity to refute the claim that 2+2=4. It isn't about presenting the who, what, when, where and how. It is about not pi55ing off the other side. A political debate between two candidates in not like that at all, and isn't staged for that purpose. And I doubt I will tune in to the debates. The last ones I watched were between the 3 main 1992 presidential candidates. Since then, even the debates have become more "reality TV" than actual debates where one can learn something about the candidates they did not know. My guess is I'll learn more from the things you and the others in this thread post. I'm serious about that and mean it as a compliment to almost everyone who posts in the campaign threads. Even those I don't agree with.
                            While true, it's a matter of supply and demand and significantly our fault as consumers of the dreck they put out there. We want the National Inquirer in all its forms if we can get it, and if we have to consume news we want bold print, exclamation marks, and headlines only. Put Buckley out there now and see how many watch him.

Comment

Apparently Leaving CNN Allows Your Brain to Function Again

Nailed it...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

- On one hand, someone once said don't interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake, and in the first half of August Trump was definitely doing that. So for awhile it made sense for Hillary to stay low, raise funds, and get the ground operations going (I hope) while Trump dug himself deeper.
                                - That said, you can't do that forever. What works for two weeks is less effective for an entire month, and is horrible strategy for 3 straight months.
                                - Additionally, a little offense against Trump goes a long way towards causing him to make mistakes. His early August meltdown didn't happen in a vacuum, it happened because the Dems came out swinging in the convention and largely because of the Khan speech. Yes he can say what in previous campaigns would be crippling stupid stuff on his own, but in this campaign it clearly has not been enough to finish him off. It feels, though, like the stuff that does cause damage comes in reaction to what Hillary or other Dems say. So Hillary doesn't necessary need to go into fifth gear, but a little offense goes a long way.
                                - On the other hand, though, as others have pointed out, August is a pretty dead time as a lot of people are finishing up their summer, so you won't get the biggest bang for your back. Perhaps saving the money and political ammo for after Labor Day is the most cost-effective way to do it.
                                - Placing a lot of emphasis on the debates can go both ways. Yes, it might be the best forum to point out that Hillary is a serious answer and Trump is inane bombast, but if people haven't gotten that message yet, will they really make that much of a difference? Don't get me wrong, it still makes sense to be well prepared, as to not give Trump a chance to climb back into people's minds as a serious answer, so don't sleep on them. But there's way too much that can (and will) happen in the last two months to have that be a majority of one's strategy.

Overall, August took us from what looked like it was becoming a dead heat to one where Hillary has a notable but not insurmountable lead. Granted it has tightened since mid-August, but there is always it seems a slight correction from the original bounce. But my point is, the strategy for August was a net gain, we shouldn't lose too much sleep over it. But now that is has done it's job, it's time for a new one for September and home stretch.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X