X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
    FYI...Here's an email sent out to all Alaska residentst that are members of USA Hockey:
    Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow, and can't make it. If anyone here is able to attend, please report back with the info that was discussed.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I suspect a lot of people will have to work, so nobody will show up. Oh well.

Comment

almost makes you think they planned it that way...I'm sure it was just an oversight! Here's the link....click here scroll down to the bottom and ask the President a question. Ask him why all of these forums are being held at time that a vast majority of the stakeholders can not participate.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdqcaONRC8Zy5B1B76MJBege_88H6pXooBXJxUJvsWS 5mBDww/viewform?c=0&w=1

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
        I suspect a lot of people will have to work, so nobody will show up. Oh well.
        Last edited by hockeytownak; 09-07-2016, 04:09 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

So, Matt Thomas on KTVA Ch 11 last night in the Sports section said that recruiting has been suspended. This is getting very real.

Comment

“Right now we’re not recruiting, because we don’t really have a program to sell to,”

http://www.ktva.com/hockey-other-spo...a-budget-cuts/
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              “Right now we’re not recruiting, because we don’t really have a program to sell to,”

http://www.ktva.com/hockey-other-spo...a-budget-cuts/
              Hopefully a lot of people will show up today for the meeting with Dr. Johnsen. I am not sure what he can really do though. His hands are very tied.

Comment

Hopefully a lot of people will show up today for the meeting with Dr. Johnsen. I am not sure what he can really do though. His hands are very tied.
                He could show he isn't a bagman for the legislature and push back. But he won't because he (like every other UAA upper level official ... Bill Spindle and Tom Case) are only concerned with their positions and not concerned with what's best for the University and community. Not a single testicle between the three of them.

Comment

Got to see some of the forum online (they posted a bad link at first) but was lucky enough to see Chuck Homan speak ... someone shake his hand for me and thank him for what he said.

Everyone I saw speak spoke in positive support of athletics at UAA. We'll see if Johnsen has any cajones or if this event was just BS because he's got his marching orders from his masters (the legislature). Not much to do except crossing of the fingers. I personally tend toward pessimism at this point.

Comment

Dr. Johnsen is a pencil neck. His cocky smirk throughout the forum has me wondering if the legislators have already made up their mind. He is a good public speaker though, didn't dance around the questions too much. I got there a little before 1, I'd say 90% of the speakers were in favor of UAA Athletics. The head coaches that I saw spoke (Cross Country, Men's BB, Women's BB) were great and moving, Jim Dahl gave the most moving speech about former student athletes and their public jobs. Good to see two students speak in favor of athletics. When they only had enough time for two last speakers, this woman was oblivious to the fact the Brush was behind here (which I call baloney seeing as how she as worked the games for as long as I can remember), didn't allow him to speak and instead gave a short but sweet speech. You gotta let the godfather speak woman. It was well attended, it spilled out of the cafeteria. Good to see all the hockey alumni there, Dahl, JJ, others that I can't name right now, and Haider. I think we did all we could.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Got to see some of the forum online (they posted a bad link at first) but was lucky enough to see Chuck Homan speak ... someone shake his hand for me and thank him for what he said.

Everyone I saw speak spoke in positive support of athletics at UAA. We'll see if Johnsen has any cajones or if this event was just BS because he's got his marching orders from his masters (the legislature). Not much to do except crossing of the fingers. I personally tend toward pessimism at this point.
                      Wonder how the UAS forum will go.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Because I'm not up to speed on Alaska politics, I'm looking for an answer on these points.

How many of the legislature members are up for re-election this fall? Is this issue being used as a selling point by candidates or used against them by their opponents? Are there lame-duck legislators who are trying to shove this through before they leave office?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Because I'm not up to speed on Alaska politics, I'm looking for an answer on these points.

How many of the legislature members are up for re-election this fall? Is this issue being used as a selling point by candidates or used against them by their opponents? Are there lame-duck legislators who are trying to shove this through before they leave office?
                          Alaska is a very RED state. For the past 40 years it's been DOMINATED by state legislators who use "Fiscal Conservatism" as PR to sell to their constituents who overwhelmingly vote right-wing because they all think they are effing cowboy individualists who are self-made successes (whether or not they are). They also believe the money in state coffers came out of their pocket somehow when nobody in the state has paid any state taxes ever. This attitude is hugely prevalent outside of the two cities. So every year it's all about cutting the budget because they've never properly forecasted revenue in advance. They're incompetent at everything except pandering to the people that they know will vote them back in.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            Alaska is a very RED state. For the past 40 years it's been DOMINATED by state legislators who use "Fiscal Conservatism" as PR to sell to their constituents who overwhelmingly vote right-wing because they all think they are effing cowboy individualists who are self-made successes (whether or not they are). They also believe the money in state coffers came out of their pocket somehow when nobody in the state has paid any state taxes ever. This attitude is hugely prevalent outside of the two cities. So every year it's all about cutting the budget because they've never properly forecasted revenue in advance. They're incompetent at everything except pandering to the people that they know will vote them back in.
                            Actually, there were state income taxes at one time. Hammond signed a bill in 1980 to eliminate personal income tax (after the pipeline generated billions of new revenue).
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

So, in the meeting yesterday, UA President Jim Johnsen said that Intercollegiate athletics at UA will definitely go forward. The question is, which teams will be cut and replaced. So, If UAA replaces hockey with Mens/Womens Soccer and deletes Gymnastics and the Skiing programs, will you still support UAA?

For me, I think it will be hard. I like our basketball and Volleyball teams, but Division I really is where it is at and UAA has a Division I hockey team. If the hockey team goes away, then I probably will dissolve my relationship with UAA. I know that it sounds harsh, but Division I is really where it is at. I have said that UAA should go Division I in all sports because while we are good at Division II, nobody cares. Will anyone care if we go all Division I? I think it would be more relevant than Division II. While I concede that we probably won't go Division I in all sports, I do hope it happens in my lifetime. For now, I am a Texas State Fan and will probably shift my allegiance. I would be a sad break-up, but it is what it is. I will keep my ear and pulse on UAA only to see if there is ever any talk about going D-1. But, with Alaska's politics and fiscal constraints, I really doubt it now.

Comment

For me, I think it will be hard. I like our basketball and Volleyball teams, but Division I really is where it is at and UAA has a Division I hockey team. If the hockey team goes away, then I probably will dissolve my relationship with UAA. I know that it sounds harsh, but Division I is really where it is at. I have said that UAA should go Division I in all sports because while we are good at Division II, nobody cares. Will anyone care if we go all Division I? I think it would be more relevant than Division II. While I concede that we probably won't go Division I in all sports, I do hope it happens in my lifetime. For now, I am a Texas State Fan and will probably shift my allegiance. I would be a sad break-up, but it is what it is. I will keep my ear and pulse on UAA only to see if there is ever any talk about going D-1. But, with Alaska's politics and fiscal constraints, I really doubt it now.
                                If Lake State cuts hockey, I would dissolve my relationship with LSSU, so I definitely get where you are coming from on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X