Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Gordon Sumner Better known as Sting

That has been stuck in my head since last week. Not just because of the 100th anniversary of the Somme, but because of the youth reaction to the Brexit vote.

"All of those young lives betrayed..."
    Whoa, that is crazy that the 100th anniversary of the Somme is Friday. So Britain is basically saying "**** it" and going back to Splendid Isolation.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Whoa, that is crazy that the 100th anniversary of the Somme is Friday. So Britain is basically saying "**** it" and going back to Splendid Isolation.
      Britain's foreign policy back in the day was to ally itself to the #2 continental power in an attempt to hold back #1.

When the continent is trying to impose its vision of the future that may be contrary to yours, you either surrender or fight. The Leaves are fighting the diktats of Brussels.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Britain's foreign policy back in the day was to ally itself to the #2 continental power in an attempt to hold back #1.

When the continent is trying to impose its vision of the future that may be contrary to yours, you either surrender or fight. The Leaves are fighting the diktats of Brussels.
        The young people - the ones who will have to live with this decision for the rest of their lives - wanted to stay by a 3-to-1 margin. The old fogeys who are going to be dead soon voted for a future they won't be around to suffer and that their grandkids didn't want.

Comment

There will be chances to go back after the olds die. We're going through a transitional phase now where old and young people are living in different mental spaces. The olds have the money so right now they have the power, but literally every second that balance is changing.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            There will be chances to go back after the olds die. We're going through a transitional phase now where old and young people are living in different mental spaces. The olds have the money so right now they have the power, but literally every second that balance is changing.
            except like everywhere else, once the youngs grow up and get money, they become the olds
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              except like everywhere else, once the youngs grow up and get money, they become the olds
              Except the youngs will be paying off their student debt until they're old and won't have any money saved.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Except the youngs will be paying off their student debt until they're old and won't have any money saved.
                so they won't have any power and will become angry men.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre. The falcon cannot hear the falconer. Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

And hamstringing the youth by foisting a future on them they didn't want will help them how?

Comment

I was volunteering tonight and one of the women there has a daughter with British citizenship, living in Portugal. She has no idea what this will mean for her. Does she have to move back "home" even though she has a life and a business in Portugal?

Then there are these geniuses.

Comment

I find it fascinating the alignment of posters here toward the Brexit decision.

Comment

When the UK decides to remain/rejoin the EU one of the stipulations should be a requirement the Brits need to change to driving on the right side of the road.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          so they won't have any power and will become angry men.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre. The falcon cannot hear the falconer. Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.
                          An aged man is but a paltry thing,

A tattered coat upon a stick . . .

btw, your Yeats language and Scooby have something in common
                          Last edited by burd; 06-30-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I find it fascinating the alignment of posters here toward the Brexit decision.
                            The Brits must've been a backward, unheard of, afterthought of nothingness for centuries before the EU.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The guy who I thought would be the next PM, won't be, as Boris Johnson decided not to run for the leadership position.

And in other news, New Zealand has offered its top trade negotiator to help the UK exit the EU.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                I was volunteering tonight and one of the women there has a daughter with British citizenship, living in Portugal. She has no idea what this will mean for her. Does she have to move back "home" even though she has a life and a business in Portugal?

Then there are these geniuses.

And Scotland was actually much closer than it should have been...I want to say 55/45 vs. 70/30. I have a friend over there now and he said they voted that way not expecting to leave but rather only to signal Scottish interest in another independence vote...well ironically they'll possibly get that vote under circumstances they didn't expect.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X