Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Smart...make them pay for the stupidity.
    Was it? England / Wales (figuring Scotland and Northern Ireland will punt the UK) will have control of their own sovereignty. EU laws and court decisions contrary to English (UK) law will no longer apply.

I wonder if it has to do with National psyche? England has not been invaded and conquered since 1066. Many have tried (Spain, France, Germany) and failed. The continent, however, has had countries overrun and regimes deposed with regularity. The continent is used to having someone else run their affairs. England is not.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Was it? England / Wales (figuring Scotland and Northern Ireland will punt the UK) will have control of their own sovereignty. EU laws and court decisions contrary to English (UK) law will no longer apply.
      They'll apply if England wants to trade with the EU.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        They'll apply if England wants to trade with the EU.
        Other non EU countries trade with the EU. I doubt they pay much attention to what comes out of Brussels.

--------
        Christopher Hitchens on England, alone.

http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclu...ery-well-alone
        Last edited by joecct; 06-26-2016, 01:44 PM.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Here we go!!!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...erstate-Brexit
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wODeo2n65qY
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was gonna post this, but that'll play too.

Comment

North American Union is next, although it will take martial law in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  North American Union is next, although it will take martial law in the US.
                  I'm sure Hillary will see to all of that on her second day in office.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I'm sure Hillary will see to all of that on her second day in office.
                    No, the people will try to elect Trump, and Obama will just decide to declare and stay in office, basically pulling a Julius Caesar. After all, Rome was in an endless war at the time the Republic fell.

Comment

Nigel Farage (MEP-UKIP) speech before the European Parliament:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...laude-juncker/
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Nigel Farage (MEP-UKIP) speech before the European Parliament:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...laude-juncker/
                        So, question. Why would the EU parliament invite the head of the UK independence party to speak?
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          So, question. Why would the EU parliament invite the head of the UK independence party to speak?
                          He's a member (MEP).
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Is this the bottom or wait until Monday's close? I suspect some calming over the weekend, some folks buying a Monday's open, and then another slide down to a total of about 3.2% down.

(Dang I wish I'd shorted the FTSE 100 yesterday. Seems someone did ... )
                            Shoot. My numbers are off, but the scenario is right: Should've shorted the < bleep > out of the market late Thursday and bought back in at Monday's close.

It would've been money on the way down; money on the way up. Missed it. < #$%*&#$% !!!! >
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Scotland still might veto this whole thing. The parliament still have to give their permission and considering 62% of the country voted to remain in the EU I can't imagine they'll give it willingly. More than likely as a concession for Scotland giving its OK the country will either
                              1) Break away entirely from the UK and ask the EU to keep them or
                              2) Get a referendum to do the above.

Northern Ireland doesn't have the same rights as Scotland (go figure) and the vote was closer (56-44) so it isn't clear if they would want to break away from the UK or not.

Comment

The Labour Party just passed a motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn 172-40. He says he will not resign and "betray the people" who elected him. He was elected with 60% of the vote.

Meanwhile, the EU wants England the GTFO now.

The European Parliament called on Britain on Tuesday to hurry up and leave the European Union after a stormy and ill-tempered debate.

A majority of lawmakers voted in an emergency session to approve a nonbinding resolution that asks Britain to set the clock ticking “as soon as possible” on a legal process that could lead to a withdrawal from the European Union in two years. (An earlier draft of the resolution had called on Britain to invoke the legal process “immediately.”)
                                In contrast, lawmakers gave a standing ovation for Alyn Smith, a member of the European Parliament from Scotland, which voted overwhelmingly to stay in the European Union. “We will need cool heads and warm hearts, but please remember this: Scotland did not let you down,” Mr. Smith said to cheers and applause. “Do not let Scotland down now.”

Comment

Working...
                                X