Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    LOL, all the while you don't care about human issues that this president is slamming people all over the place. So to hang your hat onto that one "moral issue" is rather hypocritical.
    I dunno why it comes down to the atheist Marxist to defend joe, but from his perspective abortion is the mass murder of babies. If you're gonna be a single issue voter the mass murder of babies is a pretty good line in the sand.

And yes, it's not; and yes, the people who stuck that idea in his head are terrible. But there he stands, he can do no other.

Except, of course, if he comes to understand that a smoldering cinder of an earth is worse yet, and that is what we face if the Nazis win again.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I dunno why it comes down to the atheist Marxist to defend joe, but from his perspective abortion is the mass murder of babies. If you're gonna be a single issue voter the mass murder of babies is a pretty good line in the sand.

And yes, it's not; and yes, the people who stuck that idea in his head are terrible. But there he stands, he can do no other.

Except, of course, if he comes to understand that a smoldering cinder of an earth is worse yet, and that is what we face if the Nazis win again.
      Because he is also pro death penalty; supports a party who guts social services, is pro war, and pro pollution; and generally supports positions that will result in harm to millions of non straight white men.

He puts potential life ahead of actual life. Who cares about millions of (non) babies if you're just going to kill them after they're born?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Because he is also pro death penalty; supports a party who guts social services, is pro war, and pro pollution; and generally supports positions that will result in harm to millions of non straight white men.

He puts potential life ahead of actual life. Who cares about millions of (non) babies if you're just going to kill them after they're born?
        To be fair his positions also harm millions of straight white men. Hundreds of millions, in fact.

My parents were both strongly Catholic and they were able to make the distinction you did -- even being anti-abortion they still chose to oppose the party which while being ostensibly right on that issue was wrong on every other and which has now brought our country, the West, and the world to the brink of catastrophe. I never give up on joe because I believe he'll eventually see that, too, and then we will have another ally. He is obviously not a bad person; he is a good person starting from a bad axiom.

This is a problem in metaphysics, not ethics.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What does abortion have to do with Brexit?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            To be fair his positions also harm millions of straight white men. Hundreds of millions, in fact.

My parents were both strongly Catholic and they were able to make the distinction you did -- even being anti-abortion they still chose to oppose the party which while being ostensibly right on that issue was wrong on every other and which has now brought our country, the West, and the world to the brink of catastrophe. I never give up on joe because I believe he'll eventually see that, too, and then we will have another ally. He is obviously not a bad person; he is a good person starting from a bad axiom.

This is a problem in metaphysics, not ethics.
            That's kind of the point of being a hypocrite. If you are going to take a pro-life moral stand on one item, should you not do the same for every single other moral value that harms people? Any people in any way? Which is the R party- which really supports corporate profits above all else, and have adopted anti-abortion to get a group of people to support their politicians.

But that's discussion is for a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              So in terms of the next steps- what do you think is going to happen? Most talking heads seem to think Boris is in big trouble...

Comment

What does God need with a starship?
                Cornell University

Comment

So in terms of the next steps- what do you think is going to happen? Most talking heads seem to think Boris is in big trouble...
                  Presumably he tries to get a deal done in the 14 days of prorogation?
                  Cornell University

Comment

It appears cooler heads have prevailed on BoJo not to break UK law and take it out of Europe illegally. That way lies madness, and a long prison sentence.

There are still some variables, but if we take that off the table...

BoJo is not getting a deal with Europe, so let's ignore that one.

A less likely outcome is the EU giving the UK a 90-day extension. It is more likely to be the two-year deal France is proposing. Point of order here, the extension is not up to BoJo. Within 48 hours of Europe offering a longer extension (or agreeing to 31 January for some reason) the matter returns to parliament for approval. The law is clear on that.

With an extension sorted, the Labour party (or whatever is left of the Tories) declares no-confidence in BoJo. He loses and new elections are forced. The Tories then have a choice: Keep BoJo as leader of the party or force him out and try to find a new leader. Either way is a problem.

In the new election, most of England will see a Tory, Labour, Lib Dem and Brexit candidate. All four parties are viable. Both sides will be split. I have no idea what the outcome of that election will be. It will probably happen in early December. Possible outcomes include a majority for any of the four parties (unlikely), a coalition Lib Dem/Labour/SNP or Tory/Brexit/DUP (more likely) or a hung parliament (most likely) with no clear majority for any of the parties and no easy coalition. Expect Green, Independent, Change UK and other parties to gain enough seats to force other groups into an uneasy alliance and the whole thing is a mess. Meanwhile, the European Council looks on in mild amusement wondering how Britain went from the Stiff Upper Lip crowd to an island full of schizophrenics.

That's one guess. I'm sure something else will happen though. This has taken so many turns to the unexpected there are bound to be more. On that note, wait until you hear the idea floated in my next post...

Comment

Boris Johnson has told government officials to explore the possibility of building a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. Documents seen by Channel 4 News reveal that both the Treasury and Department for Transport have been asked for advice on the costs and risks of such a project.
                      ---
                      The DUP, the party supporting the Conservatives in Parliament, believes a bridge could break the Brexit impasse by removing the need for a border in the Irish Sea.
                      No, this is not satire.

No word on whether BoJo wants to nuke hurricanes as well.

Comment

So in terms of the Tories vs the Brexit- I'm not so sure that there are Tories that don't want Brexit. I do think they don't want a no-deal brexit- which is now off the table.

And in terms of being forced to eat a lot of crow- either way, given how BoJo played his hands, I'm not really sure how he gets out of this. Sacking so many of his own party that disagreed with the no-deal brexit wasn't all that smart, as I see it. The risk is that he loses any brexit support- when a deal brexit was very much in the cards. That could be totally lost now.

It helps to take one's mind off the mess we have here.

Comment

No, this is not satire.

He'll make it a floater. Like the Mulberry harbors for D-day. We will forget that one didn't even last a week over a short distance....

Comment

Boris seemed to have fashioned himself as a UK version of Donald Chump but his own party had a few more standup guys (and gals) in it than the treasonous money laundering cult that we call "Republicans" over here. By my rough math, approx 20 out of 200+ Tories told him to go screw. Can you imagine the positive implications for the US if 10% of the GOP in say the Senate was willing to defy Chump whenever he went off the rails? That 5 extra votes would be crucial in getting sensible legislation passed while turfing the loony stuff (Kavanaugh nomination, tax cuts, etc).
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

No, this is not satire.

I love the idea.

I think Ireland and Scotland should let the English pay to build the bridge, then withdraw from the UK together.
                              Cornell University

Comment

VERY early poll predicts a hung parliament.

2017:

Tory 42.5%
                                Labour 40%
                                Lib Dem 7.5%
                                UKIP 2%

Projected 2019

Tory 31%
                                Labour 28%
                                Lib Dem 16%
                                Brexit 14%

Poll was conducted 5-7 September in Great Britain.

Comment

Working...
                                X