This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    VERY early poll predicts a hung parliament.

2017:

Tory 42.5%
    Labour 40%
    Lib Dem 7.5%
    UKIP 2%

Projected 2019

Tory 31%
    Labour 28%
    Lib Dem 16%
    Brexit 14%

Poll was conducted 5-7 September in Great Britain.
    Wonder where SNP ends up along with Plaid Cymru. Would think some sort of Labour/LibDem/SNP/PC anti-Brexit pact would form, though Corbyn as PM would cause complications.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Why is Labour getting blasted when it was the Tories who f-cked up?

Fear of a Corbin Planet?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Wonder where SNP ends up along with Plaid Cymru. Would think some sort of Labour/LibDem/SNP/PC anti-Brexit pact would form, though Corbyn as PM would cause complications.
        SNP stands to gain about 17 seats according to Channel 4 projections. Plaid/Green/IND/Change UK will have a handful of seats. The projection has Conservatives around the 310 seat mark, but does not put Brexit candidates on the ballot because it is unknown in which constituencies Brexit will compete. Even if the Tory/DUP coalition exists after the election (not a given) there may not be enough votes to carry a majority. It is possible Labour/SNP/Lib Dem/Green etc can team up to become the majority, but a Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn would be a HUGE roadblock.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Why is Labour getting blasted when it was the Tories who f-cked up?

Fear of a Corbin Planet?
        The Lib Dems are formidable. Corbyn underestimates them at his own peril.

Also, Labour are not a Remain party. There are many more MPs in that group, but it is split (as the Tories are). There are about 90 Tories in the "No-Deal Brexit" group, another 150 or so who are "Brexit with a deal" and about 40-ish who are Remain. Labour is almost all Remain, but about 50 of the 262 Labour MPs are in the "Brexit with a deal" camp including much of leadership. The only true "2nd Referendum" option available to English voters is Lib Dem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          AKA F-you Boris.
          It's like the Anglo-French Wars, but modern and more fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            no one is positioning themselves anywhere other than "it should be between the woman and the doctor". You make it sound like some candidates are campaigning on a "mandatory abortions for all" platform.
            Fine. Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
            Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            What does abortion have to do with Brexit?
            It’s kind of the definition of brexit.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Whoa. The highest civil court in Scotland has ruled unanimously the prorogation of parliament illegal. MPs are demanding BoJo recall them immediately. Of course BoJo is resisting those calls, echoing his twin in questioning the independence of the judiciary and saying the ruling was politically motivated. The matter will be resolved next week at a hearing before the UK Supreme Court in London.

Court of Session judges were unanimous in finding that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymieing Parliament", and he had effectively misled the Queen in advising her to suspend Parliament.

They added: "The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the prime minister's advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."

Comment

The Liberal Democrats have changed the party's position on Brexit, pending approval at the party conference later this month. Forget a second referendum. Elect a Lib Dem majority and the Prime Minister will revoke Article 50.

So party positions are

Brexit Party: Get out, even (preferably) without a deal
                Labour: 2nd Referendum and negotiate a better deal in the meantime
                Lib Dem: Revoke Article 50
                Tory: "We don't know what we want. Will someone please tell us what we want?"

Comment

Comment

us citizens can now use the e-gate's!!!!!!! no more stamping wasting pages in the passport!!!

brexit is a-ok now with mookie
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson drew comparisons between himself and a comic book hero in a recent interview in which he vowed to take the United Kingdom out of the European Union at the end of October, as planned.

“The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets,” Johnson said in an interview with local media, according to Reuters. “Hulk always escaped, no matter how tightly bound in he seemed to be - and that is the case for this country. We will come out on October 31.”

“Banner might be bound in manacles, but when provoked he would explode out of them,” Johnson went on, referring to Bruce Banner, the character who transforms into the Hulk.
                      BoJo SMASH!

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        us citizens can now use the e-gate's!!!!!!! no more stamping wasting pages in the passport!!!

brexit is a-ok now with mookie
                        I like my passport stamps.

Comment

So it turns out No-Deal Brexit isn't dead. There is a way for the UK to leave without a deal AND BoJo to remain as PM.

Assuming the British Supreme Court finds in favor of government next week (the case will be heard this week, ruling expected next) and Parliament remains prorogued until 14 October...

On or about 19 October BoJo reintroduces a version of Theresa May's Brexit plan. The plan passes the Commons. The law as written only requires BoJo to get the approval of Parliament for an exit plan. It doesn't require him to go through with it.

So, he puts up the plan for a vote. He tells his ERG Tory friends who have voted against it because they want No-Deal that he won't put forward any other bills that are required for Brexit until after the UK is already out. With the ERG reassured and enough support from the other Tories (and some Labour MPs) that just might be enough to pass the plan. He then waits until after the UK has left Europe to put forward the bills required to enforce the agreement - all of which will fail spectacularly. His government will be sacked and a new election will take place in late November or early December - just as Brexit is getting bad. How bad? The government's own forecast (which it tried to keep secret but Parliament forced some of it out) is bleak, to put it mildly. In that environment the UK populace will go to the polls. Ordinarily, that would spell disaster for the Tories who just took the UK out and caused all this havoc. However, the Brexit Party will not stand in the election and the Lib Dems and Labour will split the votes. That could return a Tory majority and BoJo as PM.

This is a scenario a few British legal minds saw coming, but stayed silent because they didn't want to tip off BoJo and friends in case they missed it (like nearly everyone else did). The Daily Mail published the report on Sunday though, so now it is in the public. That's why BoJo has been so ebullient in recent days. All he has to do is survive the High Court's ruling and he's home free. My question is whether Parliament can do anything in those 10 or so days at the end of October, but that remains unclear.

As I said previously, "I'm sure something else will happen though. This has taken so many turns to the unexpected there are bound to be more." That still holds true...

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            As I said previously, "I'm sure something else will happen though. This has taken so many turns to the unexpected there are bound to be more." That still holds true...
                            Clearly not a Minnesota sports fan
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This case is so interesting, but listening to the arguments is unsettling.

When asked if BoJo would comply with an order from the Court to call Parliament back into session government representative Lord Keen said, "It must be for the decision maker (BoJo) to consider the declaration made by the court and to ensure that he proceeds lawfully thereafter." So...is that a maybe?

The government case is that this is completely a political question and the Court should not issue a ruling. Lord Pannick laid out a compelling case against the prorogation, all of which has been essentially ignored by government.

The scariest part of the hearing was when Pannick suggested that if the Court refuses to intervene, there is nothing to stop a minority PM from ordering another prorogation as soon as Parliament returns from this one. Without a legal ruling, there is nothing to force that PM to ever call the Parliament back. They could prorogue Parliament for six months, a year or indefinitely. They could legally become a dictator. Sound familiar?

There are still two more days of this, so it's still very early. As one legal analyst said, "Predicting court judgments is a mug's game which is why I can't help playing it. But anyway, from what I have heard I reckon the Miller and Cherry legal huddles will be happier than the government's."

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                This case is so interesting, but listening to the arguments is unsettling.

When asked if BoJo would comply with an order from the Court to call Parliament back into session government representative Lord Keen said, "It must be for the decision maker (BoJo) to consider the declaration made by the court and to ensure that he proceeds lawfully thereafter." So...is that a maybe?

The government case is that this is completely a political question and the Court should not issue a ruling. Lord Pannick laid out a compelling case against the prorogation, all of which has been essentially ignored by government.

The scariest part of the hearing was when Pannick suggested that if the Court refuses to intervene, there is nothing to stop a minority PM from ordering another prorogation as soon as Parliament returns from this one. Without a legal ruling, there is nothing to force that PM to ever call the Parliament back. They could prorogue Parliament for six months, a year or indefinitely. They could legally become a dictator. Sound familiar?

There are still two more days of this, so it's still very early. As one legal analyst said, "Predicting court judgments is a mug's game which is why I can't help playing it. But anyway, from what I have heard I reckon the Miller and Cherry legal huddles will be happier than the government's."
                                Except Her Majesty can dissolve Parliament at any time. Normally she would do what Her government wants her to do, but in the above scenario, I believe she would and it would take a Cromwell to defy her.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X