This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    While I know almost nothing about the EPL, I have to think they'll be able to get work permits for soccer players fairly easily, wouldn't they? Same with British players playing in other European leagues.
    English work permits are notoriously hard to get and have scuttled plenty of international transfers. One of the major components being that a player has to have a percentage of International appearances. It’s why the PL has comparatively fewer South Americans playing than say Spain or Italy. Tim Howard had work permit difficulties on his initial transfer to Man U. Teams can get around this by having players get EU passports from places that allow citizenship on things like your grandparents. With a no deal Brexit, all of those players immediately have to try to qualify for a work permit.

The biggest is going to be youth players. FIFA rules prohibit transferring out of country until you’re 18. EU rules allow EU players to get around this, it’s how Pulisic went to Dortmund. Plenty of PL clubs have their youth system full of EU players.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I would think the right political move would be to not be the government when this meteor hits. Can a government vote to collapse, and can the opposition vote to stop them?
      The biggest reason being that it’s another three years until an election and Labour has only a real finite time to use the momentum they have right now. Also, trying to take over the Government gives Labour an opportunity to stop the whole Brexit mess.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Also, trying to take over the Government gives Labour an opportunity to stop the whole Brexit mess.
        How?

Let's say the Tories collapsed tomorrow and Jeremy Coryn leads the new government in a stirring rendition of Internationale. From that instant on they are on the same hot seat Theresa May is now. Brussels already told the UK to sod off so even a snap referendum might not be accepted, and if it was then the UKIPpies will become the same sort of Oy Oy moron brigade that the Freedumb Caucus is here, except Brit rightwingers aren't cowards like ours and actually will start running IRA-style guerrilla operations out of the fish and chips van.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

How?

Let's say the Tories collapsed tomorrow and Jeremy Coryn leads the new government in a stirring rendition of Internationale. From that instant on they are on the same hot seat Theresa May is now. Brussels already told the UK to sod off so even a snap referendum might not be accepted, and if it was then the UKIPpies will become the same sort of Oy Oy moron brigade that the Freedumb Caucus is here, except Brit rightwingers aren't cowards like ours and actually will start running IRA-style guerrilla operations out of the fish and chips van.
          According to this BBC article the UK can stop Brexit and remain in the EU at any point as long as the process is democratic.

The Labour goal right now is to force an election, win a majority (or at least a minority with the National parties), force a referendum, stop Brexit, Nationalize it.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Just watched the Brexit movie on HBO. Pretty well done.

Comment

"No deal" rejected by Parliament.

May now says she believes she has a deal that the majority will support, and once it is approved, she wants to re-open negotiations. Brussels says nee/non, and insists they have made their final offer.

Comment

I was listening to a rundown on the Beeb. The EU has no reason to cut May any slack. The UK cut its own throat with their Trump-like tantrum. F-ck em.

Remember when it was the Anglosphere who were the adults and the Europeans who were irresponsible and volatile?

Too bad we let our chimps have the vote.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pallets. Not enough of the right kind for exporting to the EU.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brex...N5abWeKKrc48d0
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Debate going on now in the Commons on the latest (and final) Brexit "deal" with the EU.

I believe if this one fails, there is a hard exit (don't slam the door on the way out) on March 29.

NOTE: It's live on BBC World. The PM has lost her voice. The opposition benches are not happy.
                    Last edited by joecct; 03-12-2019, 09:38 AM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Debate going on now in the Commons on the latest (and final) Brexit "deal" with the EU.

I believe if this one fails, there is a hard exit (don't slam the door on the way out) on March 29.

NOTE: It's live on BBC World. The PM has lost her voice. The opposition benches are not happy.
                      I can't find it anywhere???
                      Cornell University

Comment

There's a flowchart to Brexit votes and consequences about halfway down this page - the end of the actual article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/uk/br...ntl/index.html
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I can't find it anywhere???
                          609 Verizon
                          or try bbc.com
                          Last edited by joecct; 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Brexit vote today failed.

Good bye, British economy. It was nice knowing you.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Brexit vote today failed.

Good bye, British economy. It was nice knowing you.
                              It will survive. Just Brussels and Strasbourg will have no say over Her Majesty's subjects ever again while they are on English soil.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                It will survive. Just Brussels and Strasbourg will have no say over Her Majesty's subjects ever again while they are on English soil.
                                If a no-deal Brexit occurs, which most think unlikely, the British economy is expected to tank ~9-10% this year. Their economy is so entwined in the global economy that it would wind it say throughout the world and send other economies spiraling. It's not wise to be so blasé about this situation.

The *good * scenarios, a Brexit with a deal, expects to shrink the British economy by ~3-4%.

Comment

Working...
                                X