Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

In local elections in the UK, the people have spoken.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48142181
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Love the headline. Tories and Labour hit by Brexit backlash. Yeah, that definitely captures the reality of the order of magnitude difference between the level of losses suffered.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

UKIP also losing is good.

Comment

It's not dead yet. Government plans to bring May's thrice-rejected deal back for an unprecedented fourth vote on or about June 5th, after the European Parliamentary elections.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            It's not dead yet. Government plans to bring May's thrice-rejected deal back for an unprecedented fourth vote on or about June 5th, after the European Parliamentary elections.
            At this point, I'm with the Germans. Fark you Britain, just go!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              At this point, I'm with the Germans. Fark you Britain, just go!!!!!!!!!!
              I think that's everybody at this point. The UK has basically become America East. When the baby cries long enough people stop changing its diaper and leave it in a trash can.

This is how the Anglo global empire of the last 400 years dies. It's going to be funny when these people wake up and discover they're Spain now. With Spain's standard of living and political order. They earned it.

My family's only been Anglo for 140 years. We moved here. We can move on. Hell, maybe we'll take our winnings and go back home. Left from a literal sh-t-smelling swayback farmhouse outside Brno. Return to a delux apartment in the sky in Prague.

We finally got a piece of the frgál.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-16-2019, 07:02 AM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A bit of olde history

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-engl...shire-48281733
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Prime Minister Theresa May offers a “new” Brexit plan, but nobody’s buying it

British Prime Minister Theresa May offered a “new” Brexit plan Tuesday, in a last-ditch effort to get her still-unpopular Brexit deal approved.

But May largely failed to deliver on the “new” part. Instead, she outlined a 10-point strategy that repeated compromises or plans she’s previously offered. The prime minister did offer a few notable concessions, specifically a vote on a second referendum and a vote on a type of post-Brexit customs arrangement with the EU.

It’s noteworthy that May is giving members of parliament (MPs) a chance to decide whether they want to hold a second referendum — basically, some sort of public vote on Brexit — because this is something she’s staunchly resisted before. But the prime minister didn’t offer many specifics about the referendum, including whether she supported it, how it would be executed, or what the public would even be asked.

May’s other concession, on the customs union — where EU members trade without tariffs and minimal customs checks — offers a choice that will please neither the pro-Brexit camp in her Conservative Party or the opposition Labour Party. May proposed a vote on whether MPs want a temporary customs union membership after Brexit, or a plan for a “customs arrangement” that would allow the UK to trade with the EU, but still pursue its own independent trade policy.

Comment

The Beeb had someone on this morning saying it's possible the Tories might dump her today. Evidently they are terrified of getting hammered in the Euro elections. I guess as a bellwether?

She basically said the only thing preventing a complete mutiny under her in her party is they're so demoralized they can't decide whether to throw her overboard or just let her fill up with arrows over the next couple months that otherwise would just wind up in somebody else.

Sounds like a great strategy for governing a modern nation. Like letting your reliever get pummeled in a rout because you're just gonna DFA them that night anyway.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The Beeb had someone on this morning saying it's possible the Tories might dump her today. Evidently they are terrified of getting hammered in the Euro elections. I guess as a bellwether?

She basically said the only thing preventing a complete mutiny under her in her party is they're so demoralized they can't decide whether to throw her overboard or just let her fill up with arrows over the next couple months that otherwise would just wind up in somebody else.

Sounds like a great strategy for governing a modern nation. Like letting your reliever get pummeled in a rout because you're just gonna DFA them that night anyway.
                      PMQ's were an embarrassment for her. She was told her time is up, was called a liar by an MP and - perhaps most damaging - abandoned by her party quite literally. PMQ is usually packed. This was a live shot today, with SNP MP Ian Blackford telling her, “Talk about ignoring reality - look at the benches behind you."

The 1922 Committee is meeting and may drop the "one year" rule and allow Tories to kick May to the curb early. This isn't what they want though. They want Boris to become PM AFTER the first step is already taken. If he becomes PM now it is going to be nigh impossible to get anything through Parliament - and even though they love the prospects of a no-deal it is against international and British law. It would make England a rogue nation and the political and economic fallout would be severe.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        PMQ's were an embarrassment for her. She was told her time is up, was called a liar by an MP and - perhaps most damaging - abandoned by her party quite literally. PMQ is usually packed. This was a live shot today, with SNP MP Ian Blackford telling her, “Talk about ignoring reality - look at the benches behind you."

The 1922 Committee is meeting and may drop the "one year" rule and allow Tories to kick May to the curb early. This isn't what they want though. They want Boris to become PM AFTER the first step is already taken. If he becomes PM now it is going to be nigh impossible to get anything through Parliament - and even though they love the prospects of a no-deal it is against international and British law. It would make England a rogue nation and the political and economic fallout would be severe.
                        Read Hansard when the Commons told Chamberlain his time was up back in May 1940. The only diffference was the House was packed. The speeches of Lloyd George and Leo Amery were devastating.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Cabinet has turned on the boss. Theresa May will meet with Graham Brady, head of the 1922 Committee, on Friday. It is assumed they will work out a time when she will step down. It could be as soon as when that meeting ends. There is no good time for it to happen. This is a mess. As May herself said on Tuesday, "What a time to be alive!" Of course she meant it in a completely different way not even 24 hours ago.

Comment

That pic of the empty benches is amazing. I never thought a party would do that to its own leader and sitting national head of government. Really good thing May isn't Japanese.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              That pic of the empty benches is amazing. I never thought a party would do that to its own leader and sitting national head of government. Really good thing May isn't Japanese.
                              Scratch another Cabinet Member.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48374098
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That image didn’t come through for me
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X