Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of D-II Hockey

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Then would the D2 -> D1 playups (9/10 of WCHA + others ) be forced to play down? The women have a combined D1/D2 NCC.
    I don't see this being the conclusion of what sbkbhockey said at all. There are D3 schools that play up (as you should know!) and they are not forced to play down just because there is a D3 national championship.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      I don't see this being the conclusion of what sbkbhockey said at all. There are D3 schools that play up (as you should know!) and they are not forced to play down just because there is a D3 national championship.
      Yet, Russell. Yet. I don't trust the FBS schools.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Yet, Russell. Yet. I don't trust the FBS schools.
        Many of them are not happy that "lesser" schools are allowed to compete for "their" titles. Many years ago, they made sure that no one could "play up" in basketball or football, and they have been tightening the restrictions on these schools in other sports ever since then.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Many of them are not happy that "lesser" schools are allowed to compete for "their" titles. Many years ago, they made sure that no one could "play up" in basketball or football, and they have been tightening the restrictions on these schools in other sports ever since then.
          Yep. And there are concerns that the new Big Ten in hockey is trying to slowly push these "lesser" schools out of hockey (i.e., the freshmen age limit proposal). However, I still think joecct made too big of a jump in his paranoid response...
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
            St.A's has started the process of reclassifying to D 3 and has been accepted to D 3, provided they can find a D 3 league in one year.
            Beginning this year , 2016-2017, no athletes, including basketball, football etc. have been offered any non need based athletic scholarship money, which is consistent with the D 3 model.
            I'm assuming that this is no longer happening and heard a rumor that this will be St. Mikes and Saint Anselms last year in NEHC?

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
              I'm assuming that this is no longer happening and heard a rumor that this will be St. Mikes and Saint Anselms last year in NEHC?
              I'm hearing the same.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Post has released most of their men's schedule.

Apparently there are still a couple dates they're hoping to fill. This year they'll be playing a mix of ACHA (DI & DII) and NCAA (DII & DIII) opponents. Based on their results last year, and the recruits the brought in for this season, I think they should do well against the ACHA DII schools, but I think they're gonna get spanked by the NCAA schools, and probably URI (ACHA DI) as well.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

According to this article from USCHO, Minot State would need to move its entire athletic department up to Division I if it wanted to play Division I hockey. This would presumably be true for Simon Fraser as well, who are also DII. Apparently DII schools playing prior to 2010 have been grandfathered in. As stated earlier in this thread, I was under the impression that any school could move up if there was no national championship offered in their own division. Is that no longer the case? Also, even if that loophole no longer exists, they would still be able to play up in just hockey as long as they didn't offer the full DI allotment of scholarships (the same loophole being used by RIT/Union) correct? This has implications for SNHU and the other NE10 schools as it would pretty much take jumping to DI completely off the table for them.

Comment

No! No! No!!!!

Because D-II hockey does not have a championship, their hockey team can petition to be included with the D-I championship.

It would make life a lot simpler if they turned the D-I championship into a National Collegiate (D-I & D-II) Championship just like the women.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Re: State of D-II Hockey

No! No! No!!!!

Because D-II hockey does not have a championship, their hockey team can petition to be included with the D-I championship.

It would make life a lot simpler if they turned the D-I championship into a National Collegiate (D-I & D-II) Championship just like the women.
                      Ok, ok. That's what I meant. This article is saying Minot State would have to up to Division I for all sports if they wanted to compete for the DI Championship. Apparently petitioning to move up for one sport as you were apparently allowed to in the past is no longer a thing. Or is the source in this article just mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                        Ok, ok. That's what I meant. This article is saying Minot State would have to up to Division I for all sports if they wanted to compete for the DI Championship. Apparently petitioning to move up for one sport as you were apparently allowed to in the past is no longer a thing. Or is the source in this article just mistaken?
                        The article is wrong (in a sense). Since there is no DII national championship in hockey, a DII school can petition to play for the DI title. They are subject to the restrictions of DII in regard to scholarships, etc., but they can compete at the DI level as a DII school. Some of the other schools were allowed full DI status - which allows them more scholarships than a DII school, but a team that chooses to compete at the DI level is for all practical purposes a DI school. It is a distinction with little difference.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          The article is wrong (in a sense). Since there is no DII national championship in hockey, a DII school can petition to play for the DI title. They are subject to the restrictions of DII in regard to scholarships, etc., but they can compete at the DI level as a DII school. Some of the other schools were allowed full DI status - which allows them more scholarships than a DII school, but a team that chooses to compete at the DI level is for all practical purposes a DI school. It is a distinction with little difference.
                          Except you can keep the rest of the athletic program at D-II, which saves $$$$$
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            It is mu understanding that there's a moratorium NCAA-wideon playing up in any sport.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              It is mu understanding that there's a moratorium NCAA-wideon playing up in any sport.

GFM
                              And it was my understanding that said temporary moratoratorium ended, and was replaced by new bylaws outright banning play-ups... with the exception of teams whose division does not sponsor that sport, such as DII Hockey.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                                Yep. 2010-100. But if a currently classified D-II school wanted to start a hockey team, they'd be SOL on post season. However, the NCAA provides an out that allows a D-II Men's hockey team to petition to play in the D-I tournament.

The WCHA (sans BG) is grandfathered. They can offer 18 schollys and play 34/6/8 regular season games. A school described above has to follow D-II rules on games (30) and scholarships (currently 5??? but should be made the same as women who have 18).
                                Last edited by joecct; 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X