Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of D-II Hockey

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I believe they were looking to try to get into the NEWMAC.
    Does anyone know if St Anselm begins its "so called" cleansing program in the Fall of 2016? I guess this wouldn't apply to hockey since I don't believe they give scholarships, but in other sports, such as basketball, would incoming freshmen be eligible for just financial aid this fall and not a scholarship? If incoming freshmen this fall come in without athletic scholarships, then St Anselm would be eligible for D-3 tournaments when these incoming 2016 freshmen are seniors......correct? For the next 3 years, will they continue to be under the D-2 heading, but playing with a mix of scholarship and non-scholarship players?
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
      Does anyone know if St Anselm begins its "so called" cleansing program in the Fall of 2016? I guess this wouldn't apply to hockey since I don't believe they give scholarships, but in other sports, such as basketball, would incoming freshmen be eligible for just financial aid this fall and not a scholarship? If incoming freshmen this fall come in without athletic scholarships, then St Anselm would be eligible for D-3 tournaments when these incoming 2016 freshmen are seniors......correct? For the next 3 years, will they continue to be under the D-2 heading, but playing with a mix of scholarship and non-scholarship players?
      For the 2016-2017 , Saint Anselm will be not awarding any non need based athletic scholarships in any sport, including basketball and football .
      One thought is by making this move now, the NCAA may reduce the waiting period by one year .

As to what league St.A's is looking at . there are at least two existing leagues that have expressed an interest in adding colleges , with NEWMAC being one.
      The option that still exists is in starting a new D 3 league.

St.Mike's explored the NEWMAC but lack of football and distance did not help them.

NEWMAC, I am told is looking at 3-4 colleges and will be asking one or two to join their league . Two of the requirements are that the college have a football team and they are within a two hour drive for most teams . NEWMAC has received a formal letter of interest from St.A's, has had meetings are are awaiting a site visit, that should happen in the next 2-3 weeks. After that the Presidents vote. St.A's has been in contact with another league as well and some of the other DII are seriously looking at a D3 option and creating a new league.

Comment

Here's the timeline from St. A's website. Like hawkhockey said, there would be no scholarships for new athletes starting in 2016-17. St. A's would be classified as DII and play a DII schedule for 2016-17 and would be classified as DIII and play DIII schedule starting in 2017-18. They would be eligible for the post season in 2019-20 at the earliest and 2021-22 at the latest. It says that during the transitional years all student-athletes would be "transitioned" from athletic to institutional aid. What exactly that means for the upperclassmen who already have scholarships I'm not really sure.

[ Timeline ]
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I believe they were looking to try to get into the NEWMAC.
          What's a NEWMAC and who currently belongs??

Comment

Originally posted by Norwich59 View Post
            It's 2 all soy patties, low cal sauce, organic lettuce, cheese, kosher pickles, on a low cal sesame seed bun
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              It's 2 all soy patties, low cal sauce, organic lettuce, cheese, kosher pickles, on a low cal sesame seed bun
              Supersize it!

Comment

If you currently have a scholarship at St.A's , you will continue to keep the scholarship until you graduate.
                As to NEWMAC , teams are Babson , WPI, Springfield ,Wheaton, MIT, Coast Guard, Clark, Wellesley, Mt Holyoke, Smith and Emerson.
                No hockey except Babson but they are starting a football conference in 2017-18. A number of teams played football in the Liberty League and now Liberty is looking for teams in football but may add a new college, depending on the college, in all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                  If you currently have a scholarship at St.A's , you will continue to keep the scholarship until you graduate.
                  As to NEWMAC , teams are Babson , WPI, Springfield ,Wheaton, MIT, Coast Guard, Clark, Wellesley, Mt Holyoke, Smith and Emerson.
                  No hockey except Babson but they are starting a football conference in 2017-18. A number of teams played football in the Liberty League and now Liberty is looking for teams in football but may add a new college, depending on the college, in all sports.
                  Thank you Sir!

Comment

Norwich is an affiliate member of the Newmac for football in 2017.

The football league is WPI, Springfield, MIT, Coast Guard, Maine Maritime, Merchant Marine, Catholic and NU.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

About the NEWMAC
                      - the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference
                      Last edited by norm1909; 04-02-2016, 06:21 AM.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                        No official word on the Saint A's move...there was a LOT of backlash on campus about this as it was done quite secretly by the President. They have since changed AD's twice I want to say. The reasoning as to why they want to move down is to be able to use their "scholarship" monies in any fashion they show choose.

I have heard only rumors that Saint Mike's is thinking the same.

I believe I had heard before that when a conference has enough members playing a sport they have to sponsor it based on NCAA regulations. Let's say (whether or not possible) the remaining 4 teams in the NE-10 move up...does that mean Bentley/AIC get sucked into a D1 version of NE-10 hockey? Would Merrimack be forced from HEA- they have considered moving up in all sports- or would they just join the AHA.
                        The "secrecy" of this decision by the President , as directed by the Board of Trustees, has come up a few times relative to this decision.
                        As most know , especially in athletics, situations change and change unexpectedly and quickly and as a result there is usually not a lot of time to survey alumni, ask for feedback etc.. that was the case with NEWMAC in particular looking for team(s) and the college decided to move forward with the move to D3 . This had been considered and discussed at the Trustee level for years. Most college decisions are not made using the democratic process and this is no different.
                        Ask football supporters at BU or Northeastern, baseball supporters at Providence or hockey fans at Penn, Fairfield or Iona if they were consulted prior to dropping their sports.
                        Ok, now as to the amount of backlash. Approx. 1900 people signed a online petition to reconsider . Seems like a lot. Except when you drilled down, there were multiple signatures from the extended families and friends of current athletes due primarily to the false impression that current students were going to lose their scholarship aid , which was not going to happen. Very few of these numerous posts had anything to do with D 2.
                        There were also some basketball supporters who wanted to continue the current policy of 10 full basketball scholarships and continue in D 2 , no real surprise here but what was surprising was very few athletes / supporters in other sports, who understood the FA/Scholarship situation signed the petition.
                        Some current students were upset with the lack of openness and transparency and let say all 2000 students, not the case, were against the move. Next year , there will be 1500, the following year . 7500 etc until in 2020 all students at St.A's will know we are D 3 and the issue , for the students , goes away.
                        This could have been handled much better by the college from a public relations standpoint but many think that this move was necessary for the sustainability of the college. End of this chapter of the story. The next chapter is also finished, the College was accepted by the NCAA . The last Chapter is still in the works, finding a D 3 league. We'll know more in 3-4 weeks.

Comment

Will the game's this year count as
                          official d3 game's, if so, a lot of teams will want to play st. A's
                          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                            Will the game's this year count as
                            official d3 game's, if so, a lot of teams will want to play st. A's
                            No. Per the timeline published by St. Anselm, and linked here several times, they will still be classified as DIIduring the 2016-17 season.
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Okay, so for those of you keeping track, that list is...
                              • St. Anselm (NEHC)
                              • St. Michaels (NEHC)
                              • Southern New Hampshire (NE 10)
                              • Assumption (NE 10)
                              • Stonehill (NE 10)
                              • Franklin Pierce (NE 10)
                              • Post University (Ind)
                              • Minnesota-Crookston (Just kidding. No one brought them up and they're long dead)

With all in the NE 10 for their primary conference, except for Post (CACC) and, if the D-III downgrade happens officially, St. Anselm in (maybe) NEWMAC and no longer a D-II school.

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                              Bottom line, nobody knows of this will ever be resolved. St A first flirted with DI in the AHA, but decided that DIII resolved the issue more reasonably. And I would say that were the most likely of the 6 to go DI.
                              It's curious that the "most likely to go DI" school would be the one actually going DIII. What reasons would there be to suggest that others wouldn't be more likely? I would guess the "community rink" size (at best) arenas that I think most (or all) of these schools play on, but looking at some of the smaller D-I programs that's not entirely a roadblock. (Similar to "no scholarships" and "can't travel far", that might be a setback, but one which continues to exist for multiple existing D-I programs)
                              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-05-2016, 01:21 PM.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The "secrecy" of this decision by the President , as directed by the Board of Trustees, has come up a few times relative to this decision.
                                As most know , especially in athletics, situations change and change unexpectedly and quickly and as a result there is usually not a lot of time to survey alumni, ask for feedback etc.. that was the case with NEWMAC in particular looking for team(s) and the college decided to move forward with the move to D3 . This had been considered and discussed at the Trustee level for years. Most college decisions are not made using the democratic process and this is no different.
                                Ask football supporters at BU or Northeastern, baseball supporters at Providence or hockey fans at Penn, Fairfield or Iona if they were consulted prior to dropping their sports.
                                Ok, now as to the amount of backlash. Approx. 1900 people signed a online petition to reconsider . Seems like a lot. Except when you drilled down, there were multiple signatures from the extended families and friends of current athletes due primarily to the false impression that current students were going to lose their scholarship aid , which was not going to happen. Very few of these numerous posts had anything to do with D 2.
                                There were also some basketball supporters who wanted to continue the current policy of 10 full basketball scholarships and continue in D 2 , no real surprise here but what was surprising was very few athletes / supporters in other sports, who understood the FA/Scholarship situation signed the petition.
                                Some current students were upset with the lack of openness and transparency and let say all 2000 students, not the case, were against the move. Next year , there will be 1500, the following year . 7500 etc until in 2020 all students at St.A's will know we are D 3 and the issue , for the students , goes away.
                                This could have been handled much better by the college from a public relations standpoint but many think that this move was necessary for the sustainability of the college. End of this chapter of the story. The next chapter is also finished, the College was accepted by the NCAA . The last Chapter is still in the works, finding a D 3 league. We'll know more in 3-4 weeks.
                                Please keep us updated on the conference situation!

Comment

Working...
                                X