State of D-II Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of D-II Hockey

We had a fun trip when I played at Oswego to play 2 games vs. UAH in Alabama,waaaaaaaaaay to much fun or we may have won both games

Comment

From my understanding the DII hockey schools can offer scholarships...but what is the point.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
        From my understanding the DII hockey schools can offer scholarships...but what is the point.
        When the 4 current NE "10" teams outside of St. Mike's and St. Anselm were part of the ECAC-NE, the conference rules forbade them from awarding athletic scholarships. I know that the only sport at St. Mike's that awards athletic scholarships is basketball -

As for questions about eligibility for post season play, the http://static.psbin.com/y/7/jdtr46mbx8ofcy/FAQ.pdf St. Anselm's Web site discusses the transition. Also the latest AD came from a DIII school (UWSP), so I suspect he was chosen for his expertise in DIII sports management.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          When the 4 current NE "10" teams outside of St. Mike's and St. Anselm were part of the ECAC-NE, the conference rules forbade them from awarding athletic scholarships. I know that the only sport at St. Mike's that awards athletic scholarships is basketball -

As for questions about eligibility for post season play, the http://static.psbin.com/y/7/jdtr46mbx8ofcy/FAQ.pdf St. Anselm's Web site discusses the transition. Also the latest AD came from a DIII school (UWSP), so I suspect he was chosen for his expertise in DIII sports management.
          Thanks for that clarification. I believe SNHU offers scholarships in basketball, soccer, baseball currently. No idea on the level of scholarships. Although, it would make sense it is close to the NCAA allotment.

It will be interesting to see St. A's transition- as my wife is an employee of the school, so I will get to see it first hand. I have never witnessed a school transition down. So the sports management nerd within is excited to see how it works, and as far as hockey- how it plays out for the other 5 DII programs.

Comment

Thanks for that clarification. I believe SNHU offers scholarships in basketball, soccer, baseball currently. No idea on the level of scholarships. Although, it would make sense it is close to the NCAA allotment.

It will be interesting to see St. A's transition- as my wife is an employee of the school, so I will get to see it first hand. I have never witnessed a school transition down. So the sports management nerd within is excited to see how it works, and as far as hockey- how it plays out for the other 5 DII programs.
            This "down " transition may not be as daunting a task as some might make it out to be. St.A's has had sports relationships with a number of D3.s, not only in hockey but in other sports. The issue is is all about non need based athletic scholarships and the lack of league rules in sports other than basketball.
            The fact is St.A's does not fit in the NE-10 as a whole . The return ( prestige, reach, admissions, development etc.) on increasing scholarships , they have determined , in order to be competitive in all sports in the NE-10/D2 , is not worth the increased costs,pretty simple.
            Money will be spent on more full time coaches, better facilities and increased FA for all students including athletes.
            My sense is that unless Stonehill figures out their Title IX issue, will drop hockey and add mens lacrosse. Merrimack is gone to DI maybe Bentley with them. St.Mike's is looking for a D3 league and Assumption will back football over hockey anyday.
            I am betting in 5 years , there will not be DII hockey, just DI,DIII and Club.
            As college costs continue to escalate , it is getting increasingly difficult to justify full non need based scholarships($56,000) to a handfull ( basketball (10) and some football) athletes when the largest merit non need based award is $ 19,000.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
              This "down " transition may not be as daunting a task as some might make it out to be. St.A's has had sports relationships with a number of D3.s, not only in hockey but in other sports. The issue is is all about non need based athletic scholarships and the lack of league rules in sports other than basketball.
              The fact is St.A's does not fit in the NE-10 as a whole . The return ( prestige, reach, admissions, development etc.) on increasing scholarships , they have determined , in order to be competitive in all sports in the NE-10/D2 , is not worth the increased costs,pretty simple.
              Money will be spent on more full time coaches, better facilities and increased FA for all students including athletes.
              My sense is that unless Stonehill figures out their Title IX issue, will drop hockey and add mens lacrosse. Merrimack is gone to DI maybe Bentley with them. St.Mike's is looking for a D3 league and Assumption will back football over hockey anyday.
              As college costs continue to escalate , it is getting increasingly difficult to justify full non need based scholarships($56,000) to a handfull ( basketball (10) and some football) athletes when the largest merit non need based award is $ 19,000.
              Will St. A's be eligible for NEHL and NCAA tournament next year. Also would be curious if recruiting is getting higher level players now. The program should be very strong with their excellent athletic facilities.
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                Will St. A's be eligible for NEHL and NCAA tournament next year. Also would be curious if recruiting is getting higher level players now. The program should be very strong with their excellent athletic facilities.
                If you read the link NUProf posted, you would know that they would become full conference and DIII members sometime between 2019 and 2021...
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                  Little early to tell. This is the first year that no athlete will receive a non need based athletic scholarship. Basketball and to a lesser degree football will be the most effected. Interesting to note that that the football scholarships are really renamed FA and not a new cost to the college. The "scholarships" fill in the gap between what a kid qualifies for and what the school, on average , gives the student. For example is a student qualifies for $ 25,000 in FA and the college gives $20,000.00
                  in FA, the scholarship is for $ 5,000.00. A bigger endowment will narrow the gap . DII does not seem to help in that regard.
                  D 3 helps hockey , as it is the opinion of the coaches and others, they lose 2- 3 kids every year that are difference makers because we can't play for conference or national titles. Maybe just an excuse from the coaches but maybe not . I agree with the coaches based on some first hand conversations with kids and parents.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                    DII hockey shouldn't exist and I think St. A's leaving is the first step towards that end. Merrimack is unlikely to move their other sports up- I would assume they are happy with the status quo and based on their facilities it would be tough to see DI on their radar. Bentley, I could see them as an NEC school.

I agree, St. Mike's will be following St. A's down...just a matter of time. Assumption probably would drop hockey as you say in favor of maintaining their football program. I think FPU would consider dropping their program as well. I have no read on the situation at SNHU...I am told they cherish hockey and don't want to see the sport go away, but there is no way we move down to DIII. We are far too competitive in just about every program right now to sacrifice a shot at a national title each year in baseball & soccer, and deep runs in basketball to give hockey a chance at a title. I'd much prefer a move up in all sports...but time will tell. Things are quite now, and I am not getting answers to these questions...

What is the story with St. Anselm finding a conference to call home in DIII? I heard their top choice isn't going to pan out- but I am not sure what that choice was...what have you heard?

Comment

What is the story with St. Anselm finding a conference to call home in DIII? I heard their top choice isn't going to pan out- but I am not sure what that choice was...what have you heard?
                      I believe they were looking to try to get into the NEWMAC.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I believe they were looking to try to get into the NEWMAC.
                        Ya that's what I've heard as well. You would think they would've announced it by now though. Maybe they're having problems getting accepted.

As for the other DII schools, I'm not convinced there will be any major shakeup. Its certainly possible. I heard a lot of people say that St. Mike's might want to move down, but as far as I know the school itself hasn't done anything. As for the others, I don't think the loss of St. A's or even St. A's and St. Mike's, would force them to change things. If they've been content with the limbo they're in now for as long as they have been, who's to say they would want to change things now? They would just lose one or two teams, but they could still play their little NE-10 tournament with 4 or 5. I don't see Stonehill and Assumption just up and cutting their programs after all this time just because one or two more DII schools have left. SNHU going DI isn't totally ridiculous when you consider all the money and brand recognition they have now from their online programs, but I still wouldn't call it likely. Plus, If Post comes in and St. Mike's stays, they could just stick with the 6 team format they have now.
                        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                          Ya that's what I've heard as well. You would think they would've announced it by now though. Maybe they're having problems getting accepted.

As for the other DII schools, I'm not convinced there will be any major shakeup. Its certainly possible. I heard a lot of people say that St. Mike's might want to move down, but as far as I know the school itself hasn't done anything. As for the others, I don't think the loss of St. A's or even St. A's and St. Mike's, would force them to change things. If they've been content with the limbo they're in now for as long as they have been, who's to say they would want to change things now? They would just lose one or two teams, but they could still play their little NE-10 tournament with 4 or 5. I don't see Stonehill and Assumption just up and cutting their programs after all this time just because one or two more DII schools have left. SNHU going DI isn't totally ridiculous when you consider all the money and brand recognition they have now from their online programs, but I still wouldn't call it likely. Plus, If Post comes in and St. Mike's stays, they could just stick with the 6 team format they have now.
                          Is Post definitely starting men's hockey? I know women's was in the works....
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

For those who may be interested, I sort of found an answer to my earlier question about the format of the DII/DIII tournaments back before the DII Championship was cancelled. This article is from 1999, the last year the DII Championship was held, but I'm assuming this was roughly the same format both tournaments used going back to their beginnings in the late-70's (DII) and mid-80's (DIII). The only difference I imagine was probably the number of teams that got in and which conferences did or did not get auto bids. I know that during the DII Championship's first run from '78-'84, their were four teams that got in, not just two. Anyways, it seems that the DII Championship contenders were chosen on a strictly at large basis.

[ Story ]

Comment

They had both men's and women's teams this year. The men played a 15 game schedule against mostly club teams. They played DIII schools Morrisville State and Daniel Webster and got the crap kicked out of them both times. They were 3-10 in the rest of their games, and that was against pretty average (at best) ACHA competition. I pointed out in another thread that Post seemed really unusual this year in that they appear to be a totally independent team, operating outside of both the ACHA and the NCAA. Usually even transitional teams are listed as independents on USCHO.com, but they aren't. When they announced they were starting the program last year they originally announced that they would be joining the NE-10, but there's been no follow up to that and as far as I know the NE-10 never made any such announcement. Since the end of the season there's been nothing new on Post's website as to what their plans are for next year.

Comment

Post University - 1st Game of Men's Ice Hockey Program 11/7/15

Post University Athletics Adds Men’s and Women’s Hockey Programs

Pete Whitney was named the first head coach in Post University men's hockey history on April 6, 2015
                                Larry Normandin
                                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X