Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of D-II Hockey

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
    For the 2016-2017 , Saint Anselm will be not awarding any non need based athletic scholarships in any sport, including basketball and football .
    One thought is by making this move now, the NCAA may reduce the waiting period by one year .

As to what league St.A's is looking at . there are at least two existing leagues that have expressed an interest in adding colleges , with NEWMAC being one.
    The option that still exists is in starting a new D 3 league.

St.Mike's explored the NEWMAC but lack of football and distance did not help them.

NEWMAC, I am told is looking at 3-4 colleges and will be asking one or two to join their league . Two of the requirements are that the college have a football team and they are within a two hour drive for most teams . NEWMAC has received a formal letter of interest from St.A's, has had meetings are are awaiting a site visit, that should happen in the next 2-3 weeks. After that the Presidents vote. St.A's has been in contact with another league as well and some of the other DII are seriously looking at a D3 option and creating a new league.
    Can you add whom those DII's might be? What have you heard?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      Ya that's what I've heard as well. You would think they would've announced it by now though. Maybe they're having problems getting accepted.

As for the other DII schools, I'm not convinced there will be any major shakeup. Its certainly possible. I heard a lot of people say that St. Mike's might want to move down, but as far as I know the school itself hasn't done anything. As for the others, I don't think the loss of St. A's or even St. A's and St. Mike's, would force them to change things. If they've been content with the limbo they're in now for as long as they have been, who's to say they would want to change things now? They would just lose one or two teams, but they could still play their little NE-10 tournament with 4 or 5. I don't see Stonehill and Assumption just up and cutting their programs after all this time just because one or two more DII schools have left. SNHU going DI isn't totally ridiculous when you consider all the money and brand recognition they have now from their online programs, but I still wouldn't call it likely. Plus, If Post comes in and St. Mike's stays, they could just stick with the 6 team format they have now.
      True. I was unaware of Post. But there has been no word from the conference. I'd assume something will be coming out soon if they are to enter the league/St. A's leaving the league.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
        Can you add whom those DII's might be? What have you heard?
        There is no secret that more than a few current NE-10 members are less than enthusiastic about the direction the league has taken since 2000.
        This is not hockey driven but more of an issue relative to full non need based athletic scholarships in all other sports. As a result a number are looking at leaving
        D 2 and move to D 3, following the lead of St.A's or splitting off and starting a new D 2 league and adhering to the partial, not full, scholarship model of D 2.
        As to who these schools are, most were members of the NE`10 prior to 2000. We'll see.

Comment

Looks like NEWMAC is no go...http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/160409275

Comment

The article quotes the AD's email as saying "will continue to explore, both Division II and Division III." Since they already have been accepted into D-3, I wonder if they might decide to stay D-2?
            Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

What an odd order of events.

The author is dead on in noting the illogic of applying for DIII without having a home to go to.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                What an odd order of events.

The author is dead on in noting the illogic of applying for DIII without having a home to go to.
                I may be wrong, but I would imagine applying to DIII is probably a prerequisite to applying to a DIII conference. I thought I read somewhere that the process is 1.) you apply to join DIII 2.) you enter a transitional period in which you'e still technically DII 3.) IF you get accepted to a DIII conference then you get confirmed as DIII member.

But ya, this isn't good news for them. I wonder what the holdup was?
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

The great NE-10 play-up, of course! :P
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I would imagine applying to DIII is probably a prerequisite to applying to a DIII conference. I thought I read somewhere that the process is 1.) you apply to join DIII 2.) you enter a transitional period in which you'e still technically DII 3.) IF you get accepted to a DIII conference then you get confirmed as DIII member.

St A's will get in somewhere during the next 3 years. Wasn't the Liberty League mentioned as a possibility? That will probably mean more travel than they want. Perhaps if two teams wanted to join the NEWMAC and be travel partners, the league might be more receptive?

Comment

[ Story ]

Just a follow up to the previous article. Basically says the same thing, but I feel like the tone of this one is leaning much more towards St. A's staying in DII for the longterm.

Comment

This article has little credibility - the mere mention of St. Anselm to the the NESCAC is beyond absurd. It calls into question anything else that was said. The facts are that even under the exploratory program, St. Anselm would continue to be a member of DII, so for "the foreseeable future" St. As will be in the NE-10. The exploratory year is exactly that. It looks like student journalism with an agenda.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          This article has little credibility - the mere mention of St. Anselm to the the NESCAC is beyond absurd. It calls into question anything else that was said. The facts are that even under the exploratory program, St. Anselm would continue to be a member of DII, so for "the foreseeable future" St. As will be in the NE-10. The exploratory year is exactly that. It looks like student journalism with an agenda.
                          I mean now that the NEWMAC is off the table I don't think its ridiculous to the think that Saint Anselm would at least try and look at the NESCAC. The article acknowledges that it would be extremely unlikely. I don't think it would ever happen, but with the NEWMAC off the table St. A's would be stupid to not at least ask and give it a shot. There aren't many other conferences that make a whole lot of sense, at least if they're going to continue to claim that the school's academic profile fits into the equation.

Comment

[ Story ]

Just a follow up to the previous article. Basically says the same thing, but I feel like the tone of this one is leaning much more towards St. A's staying in DII for the longterm.
                            I think you are reading too much into this . Saint A's will go to D 3 if it can find a league. NEWMAC not a good fit but was best available, for a lot of reasons, all non hockey related.
                            The CCC is an option , also not perfect, but could work. Unintended consequence from a hockey perspective , is if accepted, St.A's would then leave the NEHC and be a member of CCC. I would think that St.A's and St.Mike 's might ask to join together , with St.Mike's starting the reclassification process next year.
                            This might be a win /win/ for St.A's. It would provide a conference, allow for a AQ if they were to win the league and allow them , and this is what is important and a driver, to play a very attractive out of conference schedule (NESCAC, NEWMAC , Minnesota etc.) schedule in all sports, including hockey.

They they might , 2,3,4 years down the road explore starting a new conference as the word is more than a couple of NEWMAC teams are not happy with the conference and might be interested in starting a league. More to come.
                            two things. NESCAC is not even talked about as an option . More than a simple majority of Trustees, President, faculty et al are all committed to D3, question still remains where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                              I think you are reading too much into this . Saint A's will go to D 3 if it can find a league. NEWMAC not a good fit but was best available, for a lot of reasons, all non hockey related.
                              The CCC is an option , also not perfect, but could work. Unintended consequence from a hockey perspective , is if accepted, St.A's would then leave the NEHC and be a member of CCC. I would think that St.A's and St.Mike 's might ask to join together , with St.Mike's starting the reclassification process next year.
                              This might be a win /win/ for St.A's. It would provide a conference, allow for a AQ if they were to win the league and allow them , and this is what is important and a driver, to play a very attractive out of conference schedule (NESCAC, NEWMAC , Minnesota etc.) schedule in all sports, including hockey.

They they might , 2,3,4 years down the road explore starting a new conference as the word is more than a couple of NEWMAC teams are not happy with the conference and might be interested in starting a league. More to come.
                              two things. NESCAC is not even talked about as an option . More than a simple majority of Trustees, President, faculty et al are all committed to D3, question still remains where to go.
                              So, even if St A's plays D-2 this coming year, it will not give scholarships to incoming 2016-17 freshmen athletes because, league or not, they are starting the reclassifaction process now?

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                                So, even if St A's plays D-2 this coming year, it will not give scholarships to incoming 2016-17 freshmen athletes because, league or not, they are starting the reclassificacion process now?
                                St.A's has started the process of reclassifying to D 3 and has been accepted to D 3, provided they can find a D 3 league in one year.
                                Beginning this year , 2016-2017, no athletes, including basketball, football etc. have been offered any non need based athletic scholarship money, which is consistent with the D 3 model.

Comment

Working...
                                X