State of D-II Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Looking at the attendance numbers for 2017, I'd have to wonder if any AHA team turns a profit, or spreads any money around. Your use of the word "offset" is probably an accurate take.
    All the same: What’s the difference between what AIC and Bentley are doing and what the rest of the NE10 could theoretically do with D-I schedules? At least AIC and Bentley can take a non-con game against BC or Harvard here and there to hope for a little more money than against Worcester State and Post.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: State of D-II Hockey

Mike Snee on the USCHO podcast today confirming:

The D-II schools are aware of their situation and have had discussions about D-I, but…

That they also do not have any stated interest in doing so, regardless of (or waiting to see?) what’s happened with their Women’s programs.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Votes-to-.php

Stonehill gets a mention in CHN’s write up on a quasi-related story about Atlantic Hockey taking RMU back.
        Stonehill, which is another Division II school that currently plays hockey in the Northeast 10 with several other D-II programs, may be moving up to Division I, sources have told CHN. The school's athletic department as a whole is applying for membership in the D-I Northeast Conference, an all-sport league that currently includes hockey schools Sacred Heart, Merrimack and Long Island. If the school is accepted, it would build a new rink and play as a D-I independent.

Of course, the entirety of the NE-10 hockey conference could just play up together (for the same reason Utica could, as discussed elsewhere in the article), but one of them joining a D-I conference is a different thing altogether.

Comment

• I've heard for the past month or so Stonehill was a possible move up. NEC makes sense, follow Merrimack. It is becoming the NE10 of DI.

I so wish SNHU would follow...so disappointing.

Comment

• Well, one domino falls today.

Comment

• The worst team in DII hockey moves up...SNHU continues to play in a 3rd rate rink. Sun rises in the east...

Comment

• Wodon claiming that St Anselm is making calls to see what their options are (presumably to declare for Division I championship if they can arrange a conference). Even includes a quote from their head coach.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...dependents.php

I have to imagine there would be conversations among all of the remaining D-II schools, regardless of whether each school is interested/serious or unlikely to do anything. But any time someone’s willing to be quoted in a piece like this, that’s hard to ignore.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Wodon claiming that St Anselm is making calls to see what their options are (presumably to declare for Division I championship if they can arrange a conference). Even includes a quote from their head coach.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...dependents.php

I have to imagine there would be conversations among all of the remaining D-II schools, regardless of whether each school is interested/serious or unlikely to do anything. But any time someone’s willing to be quoted in a piece like this, that’s hard to ignore.
                  This makes me sick. I truly don't understand why SNHU isn't talking with Saint Anselm about this. NE10 hockey is useless. If the Hawks leave, that means between them and Stonehill we are down 6 games a year that we need to try to find opponents for. I really am wondering what the point of fielding a hockey team is anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post

This makes me sick. I truly don't understand why SNHU isn't talking with Saint Anselm about this. NE10 hockey is useless. If the Hawks leave, that means between them and Stonehill we are down 6 games a year that we need to try to find opponents for. I really am wondering what the point of fielding a hockey team is anymore.
                    We don’t know that SNHU isn’t talking to St A and/or Stonehill. Only that St A has had undisclosed discussions.

I’d reiterate that I honestly expect all of the NE-10 schools are at least talking. Even the ones that don’t intend on doing anything, just so they can know what’s going on around them.

Comment

We don’t know that SNHU isn’t talking to St A and/or Stonehill. Only that St A has had undisclosed discussions.

I’d reiterate that I honestly expect all of the NE-10 schools are at least talking. Even the ones that don’t intend on doing anything, just so they can know what’s going on around them.
                      I reached out to the AD at SNHU. He was forthcoming to tell me there are LOTS of talks going on. Re: hockey, football in the NE10 - etc. Most things may wait until we know what the DI transformation committee comes up with for the future of essentially the P5. They are holding us all hostage right now.

There is some belief (this is me, not him) that Utica may be in play for all sports besides hockey if they get into the Atlantic. That would replace Stonehill football in the NE10.

I would think a lot depends on what the parameters would be for a new league. Is there rules set by the NCAA for minimum requirements? Or can any league set their own rules. Depending on how desperate some programs might be they could accept almost anyone just to ensure that stability in their schedules.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                        I would think a lot depends on what the parameters would be for a new league. Is there rules set by the NCAA for minimum requirements? Or can any league set their own rules. Depending on how desperate some programs might be they could accept almost anyone just to ensure that stability in their schedules.
                        Not really. Other than the obvious minimum number of members needed to get an AQ, the NCAA doesn't really care how you setup a league. Can accept anyone in good NCAA standing. Can even mix divisions within the same league if they want (though that could affect the AQ).
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Once again, the notion comes up. This time with guests:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...New-League.php

Granted, “Bob DeGregorio proposing something” isn’t the same thing as “all of these schools, or even a plurality, think this is a good idea”.

But DeGregorio is a well known name in these parts, and it’s hard to ignore how much more we’ve seen if this stuff in the press since the early days of this thread.

Comment

Once again, the notion comes up. This time with guests:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...New-League.php

Granted, “Bob DeGregorio proposing something” isn’t the same thing as “all of these schools, or even a plurality, think this is a good idea”.

But DeGregorio is a well known name in these parts, and it’s hard to ignore how much more we’ve seen if this stuff in the press since the early days of this thread.
                            It feels like something is going to happen. Either we see the NE10 schools form a conference together to compete at DI or we see those who don't want to commit drop the sport. There isn't any middle ground anymore. How many times can they play each other in one season?

Comment

• Back at the start of this thread, I postulated that part of it might be comfort in having the “exhibition” games against local D-III opponents. Most of these schools have tiny rinks and probably small budgets, so even the possible away game paydays at larger schools might not be enough for some of the ADs.

So maybe that (or something similar) is still in play to prevent this sort of thing.

Comment

• Once the NCAA DI transformation committee finishes their proposals on the future of that division we may finally get an idea of where things will end up across the NCAA. It could be possible (ideal IMO) that division don't lock in - so in essence these DII schools could move a sport like hockey down to DIII or championship purposes. (OR DI).

I would prefer they all just commit the resources to DI hockey but if they aren't willing to do that they should dissolve the programs under the present circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X