Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    No. You're wrong on so many levels. Allocate a certain number but if you want a bunch of fans watching and cheering your team on, win the MacNaughton Cup.
    Nope. The quarters, and maybe the semis can be heavily home-ice advantage, but for the final, both fans should have equal allotment. Its a championship game, theoretically between the 2 best teams. There should be no home-ice advantage.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Nope. The quarters, and maybe the semis can be heavily home-ice advantage, but for the final, both fans should have equal allotment. Its a championship game, theoretically between the 2 best teams. There should be no home-ice advantage.
      Good luck with that.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Good luck with that.
        If the "visiting" team doesn't use their allotment, and it goes back to the "home" team, then so be it. They had their chance.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          If the "visiting" team doesn't use their allotment, and it goes back to the "home" team, then so be it. They had their chance.
          I don't dispute there is a method by which you could give the visiting team's fans a shot at 50% of the tickets. I just don't think it will happen.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Dropping to 24 would mean a lot more road non conference games and more of those wonderful 2 for 1 deals.
            Or you know, there are some eastern teams you've yet to play...

Comment

I've decided to simulate last year's playoffs using this year's rules. I'm not done, but I think that we'd all agree that it will be harder for an upset to happen in the semifinals. Here's the 2016 quarterfinal predictions that I never did last year. That's a 1,000,000-trial Monte Carlo simulation.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Why should the highest remaining seed not have a home ice advantage for the championship game? That makes no sense. There needs to be some reward for being more successful in the regular season. Maybe it's time to play the game without keeping score and giving the boys a snack and juice box afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Dropping to 24 would mean a lot more road non conference games and more of those wonderful 2 for 1 deals.

I also don't see the Championship being a best 2 of 3. That means if it's in Alaska, the visitors don't get home until Monday night and could be playing out east on Thursday.
                  NCAA Round of 16 games don't get played until Friday at the earliest. I'd also hope that the committee would use a little discretion and send that team to a Saturday-Sunday regional, but that's probably assuming too much common sense.

Comment

I'm not sure which WCHA games some of you are going to, but I can't think of any times I've seen the traveling fan base number into the triple digits. Minnesota State isn't holding back 2640 tickets for visiting fans when half the league can't draw that for a home game.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      I'm not sure which WCHA games some of you are going to, but I can't think of any times I've seen the traveling fan base number into the triple digits. Minnesota State isn't holding back 2640 tickets for visiting fans when half the league can't draw that for a home game.
                      I'd like to see venues hold back maybe a max of 1000 for the championship, since it is only Saturday.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I'd like to see venues hold back maybe a max of 1000 for the championship, since it is only Saturday.
                        I agree with Maize. There is no way 1000 Ferris fans travel to Mankato, even if it is a championship game.

Personally, it won't surprise me at all if the NCHC does the same thing as the end of its five year run at Target Center nears. It's unfortunate because those 10-12 years of the old WCHA Final Five at Xcel were a blast. But times change, and even if the NCHC draws 10,000 a session I still think they're going to figure out on campus series are going to be more profitable.

Going to make it hard to televise on any sort of national basis. The leagues are basically going to have to rely on streaming local broadcasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          I'd also hope that the committee would use a little discretion and send that team to a Saturday-Sunday regional, but that's probably assuming too much common sense.

It could potentially be part of the criteria in adjusting bands of schools. But a Saturday/Sunday regional spot isn't going to be held for the WCHA winner.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Going to make it hard to televise on any sort of national basis. The leagues are basically going to have to rely on streaming local broadcasts.
                            With the increasing costs of renting an HD uplink truck, I'm pretty sure the money saved by the WCHA there could be better used. Nothing says they still can't roll an uplink truck to that final site. Would be nice if Fox Sports North and/or Fox Sports Detroit could continue partnering with the WCHA.

I hope this means that this will mean continued upgrades to WCHA.tv and member schools broadcast abilities. American Sports Network was covering a few WCHA games last year, and I feel that would be a good partnership to continue also.

A slightly lower cost and more consistant branding across the WCHA broadcasts would help. The graphics packages vary across all the schools.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
                              Why should the highest remaining seed not have a home ice advantage for the championship game? That makes no sense. There needs to be some reward for being more successful in the regular season. Maybe it's time to play the game without keeping score and giving the boys a snack and juice box afterwards?
                              You could always just say "forget it" to the playoffs and the regular season winner gets the auto-bid...

Comment

The BSU Men's Hockey Schedule has been released! Non-conference games are two at North Dakota, two at home with Princeton, home and home with Duluth and the North Star Cup (St. Cloud first round).

http://www.bsubeavers.com/mhockey/schedule/
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X