WCHA Pushing To Team With Big Ten, NCHC For Conference Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Pushing To Team With Big Ten, NCHC For Conference Tournaments

I'd think you'd inevitably have the "little brother" syndrome, as you had when the ECAC and HE had their tournament at the same venue at more or less the same time.

The luster is off the conference tournaments, and I think it's partially and unintended consequence of the NCAA tournament expansion and by a more transparent and objective way of selecting the field for the NCAA tournament. Too many teams (and more importantly fan bases) know well in advance that they're going to the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      The arena could've literally been empty, and it still probably would've made more money than the other two tournaments.
      Please explain how.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Please explain how.
        http://btn.com
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Logistics would be interesting, but if my league was involved, I'd go.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            For crying out loud, Ryan, give it a rest.

To this day I can't figure out why it is that the vast, vast majority of people who continue to complain about the formation of the NCHC are Tech fans. Furthermore, for someone like me who attended his first college hockey games in the 60's and recalls the old WCHA it's even more puzzling. When Michigan, Mich. St., Tech and Notre Dame packed up their toys and moved to the CCHA to form some sort of "Michigan superconference", fans of the six WCHA teams left behind didn't spend any time whining about it. Maybe because we were too busy watching our teams win natty after natty, but that's beside the point.

In fact, when you guys wanted to come crawling back three years later once you learned that it wasn't Michigan who was pulling the WCHA success wagon, we didn't even exact any sort of retribution or contrition on you.

Keep taking your shots, but you aren't scoring any points.
            Thank you for saying what really needed to be said. I get the angst but my lord do some Tech fans on here know how to continually beat a dead horse.

Comment

Someone in this thread had previously mentioned that most of the BIG schools simply don't travel very well regardless of where they're playing. Then throw in the fact their teams are often playing hoops at the same time (Wisconsin, Sparty, Ohio State, etc). The BIG schools are so far apart geographically that there isn't going to be a solution to their conference tournament in the future, period. The NCHC at Target Center seems to do OK as long as UND makes it and the WCHA did OK in Grand Rapids as well. Let the BIG worry about their own problems, they brought it upon themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Are you nuts? That's like asking, if some felon named Gwozdecky (random name chosen at random) sets fire to your house in the middle of the night while snacking on an ice cream cone, if you'd be willing to leave or if you'd rather sit in the flames.
                (I will note that I am grateful to the old CCHA for giving us a home though, and do personally enjoy playing the other UP teams)
                Right. So then the NCHC hate, especially against the teams that clearly didn't get the NCHC ball rolling, is kinda ridiculous, especially ad naseum
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  Are you nuts? That's like asking, if some felon named Gwozdecky (random name chosen at random) sets fire to your house in the middle of the night while snacking on an ice cream cone, if you'd be willing to leave and get an NCAA bid (like you would have this year) or if you'd rather sit in the flames.
                  (I will note that I am grateful to the old CCHA for giving us a home though, and do personally enjoy playing the other UP teams)
                  I fixed your post for you to reflect the truth.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Same venue, staggered times? Awesome.

Different venues in different cities (even as close as they are)? Um, that's what they are already doing with the NCHC/WCHA or NCHC/B1G (depending on the year). Dumb.

'Round these parts, we like to tailgate. Set up shop near ONE arena, hang out, many of the folks on here (and their respective team boards) know where people are gathering, etc etc.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'd prefer Tech not get involved with any aspect of the Big 20. They blew up the conferences, they're blowing up recruiting, and their teams are an embarrassment. You can't make that turd shine no matter how much you polish. If the NCHC offered Tech a spot I'd like to tell them thanks, but no thanks, unless you want to combine the conferences and split into east and west. That ain't gonna happen though. It makes too much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        The B1G would probably go along with it just so they could have a less embarassing optic than the one of the crowd in St Paul on Thursday.
                        The B1G is the corporation that is trying to come in and kill all the ma and pa establishments.

The last thing the empty suits in Chicago would want is to share anything with a one-sport conference. Their wet dream is the NCHC going kaput in favor of the Pac-12 and an ACC sprouting up and taking in ND and BC.

They killed two different lacrosse conferences and opened Pandora's box by inviting an affiliate member so the BTN could broadcast Lacrosse and add a B1G Lacrosse tournament so their revenues can go up a fraction of a percentage.

The WCHA will die once two more schools add women's hockey.

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                        I'd prefer Tech not get involved with any aspect of the Big 20. They blew up the conferences, they're blowing up recruiting, and 5 of their 6 teams are an embarrassment.
                        Fixed it for ya.
                        Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 03-21-2016, 07:52 PM.
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          I don't get it. Are people paying extra to watch hockey on BTN to go? Do you have access to their subscriber numbers?
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I think the mistake that is made is the attempt to recapture the "WCHA F5 magic." It can't happen. That's why it was magic, and not just the product of good marketing.

I never missed a WCHA tournament until the conferences broke apart. I was at the first one at the St. Paul Civic Center, attended all the Bradley Center experiments, the brief stay at Target Center, and ultimately Xcel. There was no "magic" in the conference tournament during those first 12-15 years. Some good hockey games, to be sure. The "magic" was largely the confluence of a number of events in the early 2000's that came together. In no particular order they included the following:

1. A brand new arena in St. Paul, with the development of eating and drinking establishments in the few years that followed.
                            2. SCSU had become an established, successful program, and MSU had joined the conference, giving the WCHA a solid core of six schools within easy driving distance of St. Paul, and with large alumni bases in the Twin Cities.
                            3. Tremendous success by the leading teams in the conference. UND came off a period of 4-5 years of dominance of the WCHA in the late 90's, including the '00 championship. MN had righted the ship and would win two championships in a row, followed by DU doing the same, and then Wisconsin to cap a five year run for the conference.

In a way, it's kind of like the MN State HS hockey tournament. All great events like this need "David and Goliath" stories. The WCHA was blessed with having two, three, sometimes four goliaths, and even more Davids. And you need familiarity. Fans of SCSU need to be working with fans of MN, so in the days leading up to and following the games, excitement can build or be relived.

None of the three (WCHA, NCHC, B1G) have all those ingredients, and that's why I don't expect the "magic" to suddenly reappear for any of them. Instead, I think they need to figure out what each of them can do individually to improve their product and fan experience, and move in that direction.
                            Good Post, and I agree with your reasoning. If the NCHC schools had not broken away, I think that the WCHA tournament still could have been as successful, with more schools still close (replacing Mankato and Bemidji with Western and Miami will likely hurt tournament attendance most years - likewise for the old CCHA/new WCHA).

Regarding the Big 10 and maybe even the other western conferences: What about just scrapping the conference post season altogether, and petition the NCAA for 4 more regular season games if you have no conference post season? Just give the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

If the Big10 insists on a conference tourny, I'm still for trying it in Chicago. Big alumni base for most schools, fairly easy drive for most. Maybe you don't have the max potential you would if the Gophers are good in a year its hosted in St Paul, or Michigan or Sparty in Detroit; but, if you can get 1,000 to 2,000 from each school in a smaller venue - the atmosphere created by multiple fans bases is worth a shot (along with more of a destination city).

Comment

To make a mega tournament interesting they need three venues for the semi finals and a one day/one ticket "trip to the X" three games back to back finals. Then all 12 teams fans would have to decide if they want a "my team" only pass that gets them into the rink assigned or if they believe in their team enough to get a "super pass" which guarantees three finals in one day.

To be fair they need to alternate it every year with somewhere in Michigan to give both places the experience. That would grow the rebranded tournament. If I could see three championships in one day and hella good hockey the day before.... I would defiantly travel every other year to Michigan.

And I wouldn't want the Beavs to have joined the Nacho league. I like the new WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                                Thank you for saying what really needed to be said. I get the angst but my lord do some Tech fans on here know how to continually beat a dead horse.
                                Because the NCHC kept the domino effect going.It was bad enough that the Big formed their own conference, then you felt you were too good for what was left of the WCHA. You pulled teams from 2 conferences to make your own. It is no wonder people are still pi**ed.( It's like the kid on the block who plays street hockey and when he feels like he is losing, he grabs his stick and goal net and goes home).

Hope when tourney is discussed down the road, you are left out of discussion. Your league is too good for the others anyway.
                                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Working...
                                X