Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    One of the great unknowns is what was said between Cersei and Tyrion when he went back in alone and somehow convinced her to agree to at least come back and tell everyone else that she had agreed to send her armies north. Did Tyrion promise her something? Did she go along with it to fool the others into thinking they had her support? Or (my vote) did they hatch some other plan?

I don't buy Tyrion's statement in the last episode that Cersei said she would do it because then her unborn child would have a chance. That felt like a lie on Tyrion's part, and I think we've yet to see play out exactly what was hatched/agreed to by those two during their private meeting.
    If he turns evil that would be one of the greatest TV disappointments of all time. And anything hatched with Cersei is going to be evil.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I don't buy Tyrion's statement in the last episode that Cersei said she would do it because then her unborn child would have a chance. That felt like a lie on Tyrion's part, and I think we've yet to see play out exactly what was hatched/agreed to by those two during their private meeting.
      I do believe Cersei is doing everything "for" her child. She showed this with her other children: she is the classic Freudian mother extending her narcissism through her children to escape death through them, and thus literally demands the universe for them as her own infinite domain.

The Iron Rule of Hollywood decrees that the competent, superlative people die protecting the attractive, unobjectionable people. That argues for Gendry and Sansa uniting the Baratheon and Stark houses over the dead bodies of basically everybody else. Samwell gets to live to write their story (they could have just called him "Samwise" -- it's obvious enough). Cersei needs to die spectacularly. Dany needs to die cathartically. Jon needs to die tragically if you like him and gah, finally! if you don't. Arya, Jaime, Jorah, and Brienna need to die melodramatic comic book heroes deaths so the camo-fondlers can masturbate, Dickless Theon probably survives because he owes Sansa and that assures peace. Likewise Tormund lives to take the Free Folk back home and lead them. Varys will probably live because the Deep State can live through anything. Maybe Bronn lives because we could use some ironic wit in this Bland New World. Bran Stark ascends into heaven or turns into a tree or some such sh-t. I'd save Tyrion to look around, say "meh, this is too peaceful for me," and ride off into the sunset on the last direwolf.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One of the great unknowns is what was said between Cersei and Tyrion when he went back in alone and somehow convinced her to agree to at least come back and tell everyone else that she had agreed to send her armies north. Did Tyrion promise her something? Did she go along with it to fool the others into thinking they had her support? Or (my vote) did they hatch some other plan?

Tyrion and Cersei have hated each other since long before the series began; there's no way they plot to work in union. Anything Tyrion has done has been regarding the idea of ruling out of a sense of duty to the masses. He defended King's Landing to protect the people. He devised ways of protecting Myr from folding into chaos while serving as the Queen's Hand there. He's taken steps to not have Danaerys lay protracted sieges so as to protect the common people who would be the ones to starve. Everything he has done has been to protect the masses.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I do believe Cersei is doing everything "for" her child. She showed this with her other children: she is the classic Freudian mother extending her narcissism through her children to escape death through them, and thus literally demands the universe for them as her own infinite domain.

The Iron Rule of Hollywood decrees that the competent, superlative people die protecting the attractive, unobjectionable people. That argues for Gendry and Sansa uniting the Baratheon and Stark houses over the dead bodies of basically everybody else. Samwell gets to live to write their story (they could have just called him "Samwise" -- it's obvious enough). Cersei needs to die spectacularly. Dany needs to die cathartically. Jon needs to die tragically if you like him and gah, finally! if you don't. Arya, Jaime, Jorah, and Brienna need to die melodramatic comic book heroes deaths so the camo-fondlers can masturbate, Dickless Theon probably survives because he owes Sansa and that assures peace. Varys will probably live because the Deep State can live through anything. Maybe Bronn lives because we could use some ironic wit in this Bland New World. Bran Stark ascends into heaven or turns into a tree or some such sh-t. I'd save Tyrion to look around, say "meh, this is too peaceful for me," and ride off into the sunset on the last direwolf.
          So Gendry gets both Stark girls?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So Gendry gets both Stark girls?
            Every boy's dream.

He'd probably peg Jon, too, but... too effeminate.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Anyone ever figured out why Tyrion got so dumb ever since he became the Hand of the Queen? It's one of the great mysteries of Westeros.
              He hasn't been drinking. His brain needs alcohol to function at a high level. Get that man some wine!

Comment

Every boy's dream.

He'd probably peg Jon, too, but... too effeminate.
                Too short

Comment

The Iron Rule of Hollywood decrees that the competent, superlative people die protecting the attractive, unobjectionable people. That argues for Gendry and Sansa uniting the Baratheon and Stark houses over the dead bodies of basically everybody else. Samwell gets to live to write their story (they could have just called him "Samwise" -- it's obvious enough). Cersei needs to die spectacularly. Dany needs to die cathartically. Jon needs to die tragically if you like him and gah, finally! if you don't. Arya, Jaime, Jorah, and Brienna need to die melodramatic comic book heroes deaths so the camo-fondlers can masturbate, Dickless Theon probably survives because he owes Sansa and that assures peace. Likewise Tormund lives to take the Free Folk back home and lead them. Varys will probably live because the Deep State can live through anything. Maybe Bronn lives because we could use some ironic wit in this Bland New World. Bran Stark ascends into heaven or turns into a tree or some such sh-t. I'd save Tyrion to look around, say "meh, this is too peaceful for me," and ride off into the sunset on the last direwolf.
                  My wife and I went through a list of characters (32 IIRC), and we put together a Google sheet before the season started. Basically, we each made predictions on who lives and who dies. We'll then update against the what happens in the show with a count of right/wrong. I sort of followed your thought process, but not entirely.

ETA: My List for how the season ends:

Jon Snow = Dead
                  Daenerys Targaryen = Alive
                  Night King = Dead
                  Cersei Lannister = Dead
                  Arya Stark = Dead
                  Tyrion Lannister = Alive
                  Sansa Stark = Alive
                  Bran Stark = Dead
                  Jaime Lannister = Alive
                  Melisandre = Alive
                  The Mountain = Dead
                  Brienne of Tarth = Dead
                  The Hound = Alive
                  Euron Greyjoy = Dead
                  Drogon = Alive
                  Wight Viserion = Dead
                  Rhaegal = Dead
                  Yara Greyjoy = Dead
                  Jorah Mormont = Dead
                  Sam Tarly = Alive
                  Grey Worm = Dead
                  Tormund Giant's Bane = Dead
                  Bronn = Alive
                  Beric Dondarrion = Dead
                  Theon Greyjoy = Alive
                  Lyanna Mormont = Alive
                  Davos Seaworth = Alive
                  Gendry = Alive
                  Podrick = Dead
                  Varys = Alive
                  Missandei = Alive
                  Ghost = Dead
                  Last edited by St. Clown; 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If they follow Hollywood Iron Rules I will be severely disappointed. That's exactly what King did with The Stand which is a fantastic novel until you learn who dies and who lives and you immediately puke all over the place.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Doubt she wants to go south. My prediction has been a return to seven *separate* kingdoms after the dragons are gone.
                      This is not a completely unreasonable theory. A friend and I have talked about this and we've reached the conclusion it probably has about a 40% chance of occurring.

I think each of the Kingdoms could legitimately still find a ruler among the characters still with us.

Robin Arryn for the Mountain and Vale
                      Sansa, Bran or Arya Stark for the North
                      Edmure Tully for the Isles and Rivers
                      Cersei, Jaime or Tyrion Lannister for the Rock
                      Gendry (the last of the Borathians) for the Stormlands
                      Samwell Tarley for the Kingdom of the Reach
                      Ellaria Sand (isn't she still alive in prison?) for Dorne
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Deadspin says what we're all thinking.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I was kind of hoping to see Hot Pie before the end.

Comment

Posted by a friend of mine:
                            No real Thrones spoilers here but prediction...next week we'll find out the Night King is actually headed towards Kings Landing. The divided Walker horde will overwhelm both Winterfell and KL, driving both houses to the Iron Islands. The Greyjoys will sort that situation, as well as the Cersei story, out there and they'll all regroup to mount one last offensive vs the white walkers. In summary, humans face two major losses, iron throne sorts out before Night King dealt with, then Night King story resolved.

Seems plausible with all the Greyjoy talk, etc?
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

I don't think it was even Maisie Williams' body. To me it looked digitally worked in that scene, where they put Maisie's head on another actress's body, like they did with Lena Headey during Cersei's walk of shame.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                I was kind of hoping to see Hot Pie before the end.
                                I'm so glad this wasn't mookie.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X