Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't think anyone has reasonably concluded that Dany is anything but the "Mad Queen" in making since at least midway through the series. She has always been about the throne, notwithstanding her little spiel to Sansa last night. But that does tie in a bit with three thoughts I had about the series following last nights episode.

Thought #1 Since Dany has been heading for the "Mad Queen" role for some time, it begs the question whether the writers will kill her off, and if so, at whose hand and how. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's at the hand of Jeor Mormont. Maybe she gets killed by a sword stuck in her back by the man sworn to protect her, like with the Mad King. To have that sword be Heartsbane, given to Mormont last night would be interesting, given Dany's treatment of the Tarleys. What's the point of the writers directing our attention not once, but twice, to a weapon that has thus far played no role in the show?

Thought #2 Man, it sure seemed like last night's episode was a sort of "last rights" for Jaime Lannister. He made his peace with Sansa and Dany for the role he played in their fathers' deaths. He offered his apologies to Bran. He and his brother came full circle in their relationship. And he was able to essentially show his love for Brienne. I've been of a mind that Jaime was going to be one of the characters that made it through to the end, at least long enough for one last confrontation with Cersei, but I'm not so sure after last night.

Thought #3 The writers have never been shy about using the "cavalry to the rescue at the last minute" plot device and it sure seems like they are setting it up here again, but that will disappoint me if they do. Try something different in the battles. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that while the battle is raging we're just going to have the Golden Company and Bronn with his crossbows completely out of sight.
    #2 Isn't it possible that Jeor Mormont and Heartsbane could be the pair that finds a way to kill the Night King? If I'm not mistaken Valeyrian steel also kills walkers as well as dragon glass right?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      If I'm not mistaken Valeyrian steel also kills walkers as well as dragon glass right?
      Yes.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I guess I don't see Dany as the mad queen. Either I missed it or I just have a different view. She may die, but I don't really have a list of "want to die" characters.

Cersei is unredeemable at this point for me. She's the personification of Chaotic Evil. But, that doesn't mean she needs to die in the end.
        Oh, Cersei's gotta die. To have any resolution at all you need Cersei dead. She's the Terminator and any order established is precarious as long as she is alive. Unless of course that is the message: the wheel never stops. In that case Cersei is the embodiment of the conflict we can never escape.

Dany doesn't have to be the Mad Queen -- it's an open question and the show is toying with us over it. Is she being seduced by her power? Is just occupying a position of authority poisoning? Or is she simply adopting another guise appropriate to this stage of the mission? For example, that heart to heart with Sansa seemed to me to be the height of insincerity by both of them. That was two schemers playing "you know that I know that you know..." with a dash of Mean Girls added as spice.

I believe in Dany's stated goal to break the wheel (who, aside from sociopaths, wouldn't?) but singular figures don't do well in this world and Dany is the most alone character in the show. One of the main messages is isolation deforms and kills.

The other way out is she realizes this and she's building to a heroic sacrifice. Dany can vanquish the tawdry (Cersei) and lethal (Night King) threats and then fall on her own sword, leaving the survivors to figure it out for themselves. Self-determination can't be a gift, it has to come from below. Baghdad taught us that.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Oh, Cersei's gotta die. To have any resolution at all you need Cersei dead. She's the Terminator and any order established is precarious as long as she is alive. Unless of course that is the message: the wheel never stops. In that case Cersei is the embodiment of the conflict we can never escape.
          There are things worse than death.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            There are things worse than death.
            Yeah, and what is dead may never die. But while both of those things may look good on a dragon bumper sticker, they don't mean anything. Like "for he who sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother," it's just selling something to the rubes.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dany doesn't have to be the Mad Queen -- it's an open question and the show is toying with us over it. Is she being seduced by her power? Is just occupying a position of authority poisoning? Or is she simply adopting another guise appropriate to this stage of the mission? For example, that heart to heart with Sansa seemed to me to be the height of insincerity by both of them. That was two schemers playing "you know that I know that you know..." with a dash of Mean Girls added as spice.

I believe in Dany's stated goal to break the wheel (who, aside from sociopaths, wouldn't?) but singular figures don't do well in this world and Dany is the most alone character in the show. One of the main messages is isolation deforms and kills.

The other way out is she realizes this and she's building to a heroic sacrifice. Dany can vanquish the tawdry (Cersei) and lethal (Night King) threats and then fall on her own sword, leaving the survivors to figure it out for themselves. Self-determination can't be a gift, it has to come from below. Baghdad taught us that.
              She spoke all about breaking the wheel while in Essos. Since arriving in Westeros, she's been all about being on top of the wheel.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Anybody else concerned about (or hoping for) zombie Ned Stark coming to life in the crypts? "Let's send the women and children into an enclosed area with dead bodies the Night King can reanimate! What could possibly go wrong!?"

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  Anybody else concerned about (or hoping for) zombie Ned Stark coming to life in the crypts? "Let's send the women and children into an enclosed area with dead bodies the Night King can reanimate! What could possibly go wrong!?"
                  All of the dead Starks are candidates, now that you mention it. And with all the women and children...and Sam and Tyrion in the crypts, it's a little too obvious of a plot device.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    All of the dead Starks are candidates, now that you mention it. And with all the women and children...and Sam and Tyrion in the crypts, it's a little too obvious of a plot device.
                    In the books Jon had a recurring dream of being down in the crypts and hearing the rocks covering the tombs moving.

Comment

Either A: The Night King raises the dead in the crypt and a fifth column slaughters everything in Winterfell except a retreating army main characters escaping via dragonback/Yara's fleet or

B: Bran pulled a Tyrion and the army attacks without the Night King, who flew to King's Landing to get another army started (Bran had a vision of a dragon's silhouette flying over KL and Danaerys dreamt of the Iron Throne abandoned, covered in snow)

Something has to break. There's 310 minutes left with a three sided war. It has to lessen to two pretty soon.
                      Last edited by bronconick; 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        That felt a little weird watching Arya...
                        A lot of weird.. we’ve basically watched her grow up.

Also, so has the cast.. had to have been a little weird for them too.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          A lot of weird.. we’ve basically watched her grow up.

Also, so has the cast.. had to have been a little weird for them too.
                          Maisie herself speaks to her nude scene...

Williams started the show when she was 11 years old, but is now 22.

She said Benioff and Weiss told her, "You can show as much or as little as you want."

"So I kept myself pretty private," Williams said. "I don't think it's important for Arya to flash. This beat isn't really about that. And everybody else has already done it on the show, so..."
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Something has to break. There's 310 minutes left with a three sided war. It has to lessen to two pretty soon.
                            The three-sided war may well come after the Night King is defeated. Cersei v Jon v Dany. Best thing for Westeros is everybody dies and that kickas-s little girl takes the iron throne.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The three-sided war may well come after the Night King is defeated. Cersei v Jon v Dany. Best thing for Westeros is everybody dies and that kickas-s little girl takes the iron throne.
                              Sansa gets the throne if I were to guess.

Comment

Doubt she wants to go south. My prediction has been a return to seven *separate* kingdoms after the dragons are gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X