Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Bronn left for Winterfell in the very first episode of the season. We don't really know how long his journey was, and his appearance felt entirely within the context of the character.

Tyrion's act outside of King's Landing was just to build tension because if he dies it won't be until the final episode.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Ran out of ideas? Hardly. The core storyline was Snow/Dany and Sansa going full Little Finger. Which IMO was worse case scenario. I don't like where any of it is going.

As for the stupidity of the naval battle. The only thing that explains it is the cockiness of Tyrion and Dany with the dragons. Last time the dragons weren't there. They probably didn't know they had found a way to mass produce the scorpions and mount them on ships.

I don't think there were a lack of ideas. I think there were too many bad ones. Here's hoping Arya saves the day again cause her and Bran are all that's left that has any integrity. Hell, they even sent Ghost packing.
      The Hound and Jon are the only other fighters holding to character. After that, you can really tell that new people are writing the lines for characters with large quantities of dialog.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        In general I thought that episode was a mess. It was pretty clear that it was going to be a "breather" episode between the two big battle episodes of last week and next week (same director for both those episodes and some prior battles). But still.

Bronn just randomly shows up at Winterfell? It takes everyone else weeks to get from Kings Landing to Winterfell, yet he shows up drunk, spends two minutes threatening Tyrion and Jaime, then heads back? W T F?

Then, as others have alluded to, the confrontation at the end was stupid. How do you get ambushed with dragons? So if you show up with only one dragon still alive and maybe 500 unsullied, Cersei is just going to fold up her tent and go home? Plus, the whole Tyrion thing of trusting that Cersei won't kill him so he just walks up to talk to her is getting old. Didn't he just learn that Bronn has been sent to kill him and that he avoided that fate only due to Bronn's greed?

I honestly sat there last night hoping they'd stick a thousand arrows in Tyrion, even though he is one of my favorite characters, just because of the stupidity of that whole scene.

It was like the writers and directors sat around and decided that they had to do the funeral, they had to bring a completion to the two new love stories (Gendry/Arya and Jaime/Brienne) to get those wrapped up before the end, but then ran out of ideas before the next big battle.

They'd better do something in the last two episodes to bring some context and meaning to last night's mess or it was a waste of an hour and a half.
        I agree about 90%. I won't call it a waste -- we needed a breather / final arc build episode. You can't just have crescendo after crescendo, that gets boring (cough Avengers cough).

There was an atypical amount of stupid in that episode, and I too wanted Tyrion to pay for the patent stupidities of the episode by being turned into a pin cushion. Though I did like Sansa in the episode, and Arya, and it takes something for me to say anything nice about a Stark.
        Last edited by Kepler; 05-06-2019, 08:52 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Bronn left for Winterfell in the very first episode of the season. We don't really know how long his journey was, and his appearance felt entirely within the context of the character.

Tyrion's act outside of King's Landing was just to build tension because if he dies it won't be until the final episode.
          Agree on both points, however, it would have been better at this point just to have killed him now. The scene would have had a purpose then.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Tyrion dying at the end for his military stupidity would have been fitting. He's not clever. He stopped being clever the minute he put an arrow through daddy.
            He got stupid when he fell in love with Dany, as, evidently, does everyone.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              He got stupid when he fell in love with Dany, as, evidently, does everyone.
              He's not in love with her.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

He's not in love with her.
                He believes in her. His eyes shine when he talks about how good a queen she'll be. He loves the ideal of Dany on the throne righting the wrongs of the world. For a Machiavellian pragmatist that is not a step in the direction of greater mental acuity.

"Never get high on your own supply." -- Biggie
                Cornell University

Comment

The Hound and Jon are the only other fighters holding to character. After that, you can really tell that new people are writing the lines for characters with large quantities of dialog.
                  This episode was written by the show's creators.

And yeah, it was bad. Full of dumbness. As stated, you are the only force with air power, you don't use that to scout ahead. You fly within range of being able to be targeted? You anchor your entire fleet within range of being targeted?

And Sansa's just acting like a beech.

I was expecting Tyrion to buy it. And was expecting Missandei to jump from the wall instead of giving Cersei what she wanted.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

He believes in her. His eyes shine when he talks about how good a queen she'll be. He loves the ideal of Dany on the throne righting the wrongs of the world. For a Machiavellian pragmatist that is not a step in the direction of greater mental acuity.

"Never get high on your own supply." -- Biggie
                    Believing in someone and loving them are two completely different things. He doesn't love her that much or he wouldn't be discussing treason with Varys.

Comment

Agree on both points, however, it would have been better at this point just to have killed him now. The scene would have had a purpose then.
                      Bronn will make one more appearance in the finale, showing up to betray Cersei in some direct manner when it collapses around her. Then it's a question of whether or not he's served his purpose and will be disposed of after-the-fact.

Comment

Bronn will make one more appearance in the finale, showing up to betray Cersei in some direct manner when it collapses around her. Then it's a question of whether or not he's served his purpose and will be disposed of after-the-fact.
                        Again, for a show that got it's wings on killing main characters it sure is hung up on some minor characters sticking around.

Comment

Believing in someone and loving them are two completely different things. He doesn't love her that much or he wouldn't be discussing treason with Varys.
                          As I said, he loves an image of her as a savior. He's smart enough to be always thinking so yes he can form the conception of assassinating her to save Westeros. I think we are set up for Dany to beat Cersei only to have Tyrion do a murder / suicide to Save the Realm. Varys was absolutely right during their scene. Tyrion knew it intellectual but rebelled against it spiritually. But his conscience will eventually overcome his faith, tragically. They're setting him up to be Judas.

Cersei kills the last dragon.

Cersei kills Arya.

Cersei is about to kill Dany.

Jaime distracts Cersei for the critical second.

Cersei kills Jaime.

Grey Worm kills Cersei.

*Zion Dance Party*

Tyrion kills Dany and himself.

Cut to Jon holding his d-ck. Credits.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-06-2019, 09:07 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

As I said, he loves an image of her as a savior. He's smart enough to be always thinking so yes he can form the conception of assassinating her to save Westeros. I think we are set up for Dany to beat Cersei only to have Tyrion do a murder / suicide to Save the Realm. Varys was absolutely right during their scene. Tyrion knew it intellectual but rebelled against it spiritually. But his conscience will eventually overcome his faith, tragically. They're setting him up to be Judas.
                            He used to be clever. Now he's an idiot.

Comment

I agree about 90%. I won't call it a waste -- we needed a breather / final arc build episode. You can't just have crescendo after crescendo, that gets boring (cough Avengers cough).

There was an atypical amount of stupid in that episode, and I too wanted Tyrion to pay for the patent stupidities of the episode by being turned into a pin cushion. Though I did like Sansa in the episode, and Arya, and it takes something for me to say anything nice about a Stark.
                              I have literally no idea why a woman who blew up a church full of people she didn't like didn't kill all forty people out there with a dozen giant scorpions. It ends her war on the spot. Parley rules? Again, she destroyed the Sept and could even argue she was putting down a rebellion if anyone complains. The problem with directors having only an outline instead of actual writing is that everything is now about wanting a spectacle and filling in the blanks around it so it looks cool.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

He used to be clever. Now he's an idiot.
                                Faith does that. Christ, look at Chesterton.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X