Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    And Jeyne is hardly a major character either. She is only significant because she married Robb, other than that, she was a nothing.
    Good point. But, you could also argue Robb marrying Jeyne was the final tipping point for the North’s betrayal of the Starks. Which thus makes her a major factor in the storyline etc.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Good point. But, you could also argue Robb marrying Jeyne was the final tipping point for the North’s betrayal of the Starks. Which thus makes her a major factor in the storyline etc.
      I've completely forgotten the early part of the show. Was that the arranged strategic marriage to allow Robb to get past the chokepoint?

In all honesty I had forgotten the character of Robb Stark entirely. I remember Headless Ned and Hard As-s Caitlyn and Sucker Stanis. That's about it.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I've completely forgotten the early part of the show. Was that the arranged strategic marriage to allow Robb to get past the chokepoint?

In all honesty I had forgotten the character of Robb Stark entirely. I remember Headless Ned and Hard As-s Caitlyn and Sucker Stanis. That's about it.
        In the TV show, Jeyne was a nurse treating both Stark and Lannister soldiers following their battle. Robb was told about it, instructed his people to let her continue and even gave her supplies. He marries her, rebuffing his agreement with Walder Frey, and thus he lost his passage across the Neck (confluence of rivers in the aptly named Riverlands region). It's what led to the Red Wedding.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Jeyne was the book version from a Westerland house who survived. Talisa was the foreign nurse on the TV show who died pregnant.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            In the TV show, Jeyne was a nurse treating both Stark and Lannister soldiers following their battle. Robb was told about it, instructed his people to let her continue and even gave her supplies. He marries her, rebuffing his agreement with Walder Frey, and thus he lost his passage across the Neck (confluence of rivers in the aptly named Riverlands region). It's what led to the Red Wedding.
            Actually in the show its Talisa Maegyr from Volantis...she replaces Jeyne Westerling from the books.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              That's right.

Robb was every bit as strategically bright as Stanis and Jon.

They deserve to lose to Cersie.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                Jeyne was the book version from a Westerland house who survived. Talisa was the foreign nurse on the TV show who died pregnant.
                Oh yeah. It's been a while since I've seen those episodes, and a while since I've last read any of the books. I think I prefer the book chain of events to the show's, in that regard.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Actually in the show its Talisa Maegyr from Volantis...she replaces Jeyne Westerling from the books.
                  The change from Jeyne to Talisa was a dumb decision when adapting the script from the source material. Talisa, as a character was weaker and added nothing. Jeyne was much better, due to the Westerling connections to the Lannisters.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    The change from Jeyne to Talisa was a dumb decision when adapting the script from the source material. Talisa, as a character was weaker and added nothing. Jeyne was much better, due to the Westerling connections to the Lannisters.
                    I don't know what they gained by doing it. Making her more defenseless, I guess.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      My fault. I never read the books and got that confused. Regardless she’s the foreign nurse that really ramped up why Red Wedding happened because the rest of the North saw an opening to overthrow the Starks. Robb betrayed Frey’s trust when he didn’t wed his daughter and her being foreign made it an easy sell to the rest. You could tell in the show people in Robb’s camp were getting fed up with her being by his side and advising him.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        My fault. I never read the books and got that confused. Regardless she’s the foreign nurse that really ramped up why Red Wedding happened because the rest of the North saw an opening to overthrow the Starks. Robb betrayed Frey’s trust when he didn’t wed his daughter and her being foreign made it an easy sell to the rest. You could tell in the show people in Robb’s camp were getting fed up with her being by his side and advising him.
                        They have a point. She should have just been preggers and not tried to advise a man

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Only if you intended on having Jaime and/or Tywin having dealings with Jeyne's family in seasons 4 or 5. Otherwise killing Talisa is a convenient dead end on a show that was probably dealing with character size bloat in season 3. Makes perfect sense in a book series that could be as long as it wanted (only to have the writer take the whole bloat thing to extremes while running a little theatre instead)
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Only if you intended on having Jaime and/or Tywin having dealings with Jeyne's family in seasons 4 or 5. Otherwise killing Talisa is a convenient dead end on a show that was probably dealing with character size bloat in season 3. Makes perfect sense in a book series that could be as long as it wanted (only to have the writer take the whole bloat thing to extremes while running a little theatre instead)
                            They could have still killed off Jeyne, as they did Talisa. It just was better storytelling to have Jeyne being killed, in a plot by the Lannisters, to the song Rains of Castermere, than Talisa, given the Westerlings previous involvement in the Reyne/Tarbeck incident that inspired Rains of Castermere.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              I thought the dragon riding was pretty cheesy, but I think it did have a purpose. Tyrion studied dragons and presumably knows that only Targaryens can ride them. He saw Jon riding Rhaegal.

Jaime's face when seeing Bran was the best part. Good job leaving that for the end.
                              As was Bran's looking back at Jaime.

Sorry, I just binge-watched the season 6 finale and then these three new ones.

Didn't care for the How To Train Your Dragon sequence, but other than that, it's been pretty amazing. Tormund has been the scene stealer of the season so far.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                                Too short
                                Taller than Arya.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X