Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Subverting prophecy, I guess? "Azor Ahai, the Prince that was promised" went from Stannis, to Jon, to Jon and Dany to " Hey, Arya, go kill the Night King". I'd say Melisandre was so **** at her job that I wonder how she managed smoke babies, lighting fire swords, and raising the dead. If that's really the end of the Long Night/War for the Dawn, it's obvious they were just ashamed to have to deal with fantasy tropes and wanted to get back to politics with dragons as nuclear weapons.

I'll watch the rest because it's almost over and I'm never going to get another ending, but I have no expectations of competence.
    The fantasy pieces have always been window dressing since day one. I'm not surprised by the sudden and complete end to it. It was more satisfying an ending to the fantasy here than in End Game IMO.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

This show has never been about the simple battle between good and evil. Almost all of the characters are flawed, deeply in most instances. That's why I don't think anyone should have been surprised that the show wouldn't end with a battle between the Night King and everyone else.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    This show has never been about the simple battle between good and evil. Almost all of the characters are flawed, deeply in most instances. That's why I don't think anyone should have been surprised that the show wouldn't end with a battle between the Night King and everyone else.
    It's what I really like about the show. I love fantasy but having it play second banana throughout the show has been a pleasing to see for once. The plan to kill the Night King worked. Not the way they planned, but the way it happened. It was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Now let's deal with what the show is really about, The Throne.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's what I really like about the show. I love fantasy but having it play second banana throughout the show has been a pleasing to see for once. The plan to kill the Night King worked. Not the way they planned, but the way it happened. It was perfect as far as I'm concerned. Now let's deal with what the show is really about, The Throne.
    agreed. And while looking back its obvious it would be Arya, the did a great job of distracting us from that last night and recently.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Someone left this comment on a review which made me laugh:

Man, if I wanted to watch bodies just stumble around in bad lighting and a heavy frost Id watch a Bills game.

Never Forget!

The Night King has an ironclad contract. He can't be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's what I really like about the show. I love fantasy but having it play second banana throughout the show has been a pleasing to see for once.
    This is also what make good science fiction: you take one element and break reality with it, but then simply play out the story with that as a known aspect of the universe. No need to make a fuss.

I liked the "fog of war" battle scenes -- only wish there had been fewer of them. You get the idea after the millionith zombie.

Back to the real story. Now let's slaughter some Starks.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This is also what make good science fiction: you take one element and break reality with it, but then simply play out the story with that as a known aspect of the universe. No need to make a fuss.

I liked the "fog of war" battle scenes -- only wish there had been fewer of them. You get the idea after the millionith zombie.

All said and done, the Starks retain the North (as kings or wardens, don't know), Targaeryns win the Throne, at least one Lannister remains so the family retains Wardens of the West, and the Vale does whatever it does with its crazy warden. The only question is who kills Cersei (my bet is Jaime), and if Bronn double crosses Cersei by not killing either Jaime or Tyrion. The Mountain will fall to the Hound.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

For better or for worse, I don't see us losing any more Starks.

First, most have been killed off. I think Bran is destined for some sort of permanent warg into a raven or wolf. I think Arya has had her big moment. She killed the night king, so I see her kind of sliding back into a secondary role. I could see her finishing off The Mountain if the Hound doesn't get the job done, but I don't see her with any other big kills, like Cersei, but I also don't see her dying.

I think Sansa will have to play the North's figurehead for the remainder of the show, since no one else is left to do it.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

I really enjoyed that episode once I found my military issue night vision googles. Would have been a great watch right after a glaucoma test. Geez, enough darkness already, we get it.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by RENCEB View Post
    I really enjoyed that episode once I found my military issue night vision googles. Would have been a great watch right after a glaucoma test. Geez, enough darkness already, we get it.
    I thought the darkness was a good decision, drove home the dire and creepy nature of the situation.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by RENCEB View Post
    I assumed it was dark because we were watching in the theater so the settings were off. Saw the reaction online and rewatched it on TV with the brightness cranked up. I must say, being able to see everything does add to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I thought the darkness was a good decision, drove home the dire and creepy nature of the situation.
    Same here. Nothing is better than your imagination. That's why radio > TV.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Same here. Nothing is better than your imagination. That's why radio > TV.
    I thought the shot from up high of the Dothraki hoard, with their blades lit up, thundering across the field, only to see the flames slowly extinguished, was brilliant. My response to my wife was, "well, that's not good."

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I thought the shot from up high of the Dothraki hoard, with their blades lit up, thundering across the field, only to see the flames slowly extinguished, was brilliant. My response to my wife was, "well, that's not good."
    That was a great shot for TV. Terrible battle plan, but excellent viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    That was a great shot for TV. Terrible battle plan, but excellent viewing.
    Best scene in the episode for my money. The reaction of all the other armies' soldiers to the few surviving Dothraki actually running away was great.

As for battle plans: sending all your light cav straight at the center of the enemy line with no infantry support is how Harold Godwinson lost England.

Also if you have air superiority why not lay down the fire on the advancing dead long before they reach striking range of Winterfell? And if you have trenches full of wildfire directly in front of the keep, why not also have a concentric outer trench, advance no soldiers except scouts, light them with the dragons, and create a killing field with no escape for the dead?

This is great. I'd love to believe that the writers quite wittingly took their unimaginably large treasure troves of money and gave all of us viewers of their ridiculous 100-hour TV movie the middle finger.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-29-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Never Forget!

Best scene in the episode for my money. The reaction of all the other armies' soldiers to the few surviving Dothraki actually running away was great.

As for battle plans: sending all your light cav straight at the center of the enemy line with no infantry support is how Harold Godwinson lost England.

Also if you have air superiority why not lay down the fire on the advancing dead long before they reach striking range of Winterfell? And if you have trenches full of wildfire directly in front of the keep, why not also have a concentric outer trench, advance no soldiers except scouts, light them with the dragons, and create a killing field with no escape for the dead?

This is great. I'd love to believe that the writers quite wittingly took their unimaginably large treasure troves of money and gave all of us viewers of their ridiculous 100-hour TV movie the middle finger.
    From a strategic perspective it was horrible. However, the writers obviously wanted to winnow down the numbers now so when the winners take on Cersei and the Golden Company it seems like impossible odds.

The score for the last part of the show was haunting and beautiful. Reminded me of the amazing score from the ep where Cersei blew up the temple

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The score for the last part of the show was haunting and beautiful. Reminded me of the amazing score from the ep where Cersei blew up the temple
    That's Ramin Djawadi, and he's unbelievably talented. Give him a YouTube. He also does the music for Westworld.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Yes yes yes

Thread Information