Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    I have literally no idea why a woman who blew up a church full of people she didn't like didn't kill all forty people out there with a dozen giant scorpions. It ends her war on the spot. Parley rules? Again, she destroyed the Sept and could even argue she was putting down a rebellion if anyone complains. The problem with directors having only an outline instead of actual writing is that everything is now about wanting a spectacle and filling in the blanks around it so it looks cool.
    This. That scene was ridiculous.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Faith does that. Christ, look at Chesterton.
      He didn't have to be written that way. He went from one of my faves to one of my just kill him now please.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Even at its worst the show is better than a lot of shows but it's gotten pretty bad recently. The previous ep had some big flaws but this one was pretty bad and you can tell being short on time meant rushing a lot of things that could've been fleshed out more subtly over a few episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Even at its worst the show is better than a lot of shows but it's gotten pretty bad recently. The previous ep had some big flaws but this one was pretty bad and you can tell being short on time meant rushing a lot of things that could've been fleshed out more subtly over a few episodes.
          It almost seems like they didn't intend to get this far and now they just want it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            I have literally no idea why a woman who blew up a church full of people she didn't like didn't kill all forty people out there with a dozen giant scorpions. It ends her war on the spot. Parley rules? Again, she destroyed the Sept and could even argue she was putting down a rebellion if anyone complains. The problem with directors having only an outline instead of actual writing is that everything is now about wanting a spectacle and filling in the blanks around it so it looks cool.
            that sure looked a whole lot less than half the Unsullied.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Bronn left for Winterfell in the very first episode of the season. We don't really know how long his journey was, and his appearance felt entirely within the context of the character.
              I guess my comment wasn't so much that Bronn wouldn't have had time to reach Winterfell as much as who would travel on a two week journey, only to have a glass of ale, stick around for two minutes, then leave? Furthermore, by not killing Tyrion or Jaime or both, he has revealed himself to Cersei as a traitor to her, should she end up winning. Seems like an ill conceived plan on his part.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I guess my comment wasn't so much that Bronn wouldn't have had time to reach Winterfell as much as who would travel on a two week journey, only to have a glass of ale, stick around for two minutes, then leave? Furthermore, by not killing Tyrion or Jaime or both, he has revealed himself to Cersei as a traitor to her, should she end up winning. Seems like an ill conceived plan on his part.
                He bet on the dragons. He said as much.

Comment

New Jersey has gotten on the GoT act.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/201...-jerseros.html
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    It almost seems like they didn't intend to get this far and now they just want it over with.
                    Yeah who knows, I get that they have finite resources and so they probably needed to wrap up the show in 6 episodes for whatever reason (also the pace can be a bit plodding at times so I like that they're speeding it up a little...) but some of the stuff like Jaime just undoing all his character development and being knight buddies with Brienne (that whole scene would be tough to rewatch if you went through the series again)... it's not totally unforeseeable but it's just a total reversal without any real buildup or explanation.

Bronn scene was laughably bad. The end with the dragon/army five feet away but Cersei's gonna give them a chance to fight the final battle for some reason... :facepalm: That after the dragon dies because they didn't do any basic scouting like five feet from the coast of King's Landing... I get that the 2nd dragon probably had to die somehow and I can suspend my belief that the arrows somehow hit the moving target perfectly on the first shot 1000 yards away in the wind but it seemed kinda lazy how it all happened (she flies through all the arrows on her dragon somehow... :***: ) and then Dany barely shows any emotion after it happens.

There's other stuff I'm forgetting too but this isn't the first time a good show struggled towards the end.

Comment

Yeah who knows, I get that they have finite resources and so they probably needed to wrap up the show in 6 episodes for whatever reason (also the pace can be a bit plodding at times so I like that they're speeding it up a little...) but some of the stuff like Jaime just undoing all his character development and being knight buddies with Brienne (that whole scene would be tough to rewatch if you went through the series again)... it's not totally unforeseeable but it's just a total reversal without any real buildup or explanation.

Bronn scene was laughably bad. The end with the dragon/army five feet away but Cersei's gonna give them a chance to fight the final battle for some reason... :facepalm: That after the dragon dies because they didn't do any basic scouting like five feet from the coast of King's Landing... I get that the 2nd dragon probably had to die somehow and I can suspend my belief that the arrows somehow hit the moving target perfectly on the first shot 1000 yards away in the wind but it seemed kinda lazy how it all happened (she flies through all the arrows on her dragon somehow... :***: ) and then Dany barely shows any emotion after it happens.

There's other stuff I'm forgetting too but this isn't the first time a good show struggled towards the end.
                      There was plenty of build up for Jamie and Brienne. Plenty. And they ruined it.

Comment

Not that the scene was written well, but I think Jaime was just being a jerk so she would move on. He’s done a lot of terrible things for Cersei and I think he wants to kill her.

I could be wrong. But to have a half hour of happiness for one of the strongest female characters and then have her crying was not my favorite

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Ran out of ideas? Hardly. The core storyline was Snow/Dany and Sansa going full Little Finger. Which IMO was worse case scenario. I don't like where any of it is going.

As for the stupidity of the naval battle. The only thing that explains it is the cockiness of Tyrion and Dany with the dragons. Last time the dragons weren't there. They probably didn't know they had found a way to mass produce the scorpions and mount them on ships.

I don't think there were a lack of ideas. I think there were too many bad ones. Here's hoping Arya saves the day again cause her and Bran are all that's left that has any integrity. Hell, they even sent Ghost packing.

Tyrion dying at the end for his military stupidity would have been fitting. He's not clever. He stopped being clever the minute the show's writers started writing him instead of GRRM.
                          Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Fixed that for you.
                            Could be. Could be.

Comment

I paused the episode there. I'm sure the next few scenes are going to deal with the Ironborn fleet pressing their advantage and attacking the forces on the beach. Are Tyrion, Varys and the Unsullied remnants going to be captured? If not, how will they survive in the middle of hostile territory with no supplies? Will they need to cut a deal with a local lord to keep them safe? Is their diminished force going to need to struggle to link back up with the Northern forces?

Oh wait- I unpaused it and in the next scene everyone is just standing battle ready outside Kings landing with no explanation.
                              Someone on a diff. forum posted this and I'd say it's spot on. I don't really care about editing/pacing/time travel issues that move the story along and keep it from getting boring but this was... weird.

Comment

Someone on a diff. forum posted this and I'd say it's spot on. I don't really care about editing/pacing/time travel issues that move the story along and keep it from getting boring but this was... weird.
                                It was forced by how close we are to the end. There was simply no time to have an Anabasis. Space and time are no match for a tight shooting schedule.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X