Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: All - nchc awards

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,186

    All - nchc awards

    Guesses on the NCHC awards this year?

    POY - Boeser
    Goalie - Kaskisuo
    ROY - Boeser
    Coach - Berry
    Defensive Forward - Schmaltz
    Offensive D - Prow
    Forward - Boeser

    1st Team
    Boeser
    Kossila
    Heinen
    Prow
    Stecher
    Kaskisuo

    2nd Team
    Gambrell
    Benik
    Caggiula
    Butcher
    Welinski
    Johnson

    3rd Team
    Moore
    Schmaltz
    Guentzel
    LaDue
    Nevalainen
    Lindgren

    Rookie
    Boeser
    Gambrell
    Roslovic
    Borgen
    Pionk
    Weninger
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  2. #2
    #BanBiddy Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Posts
    55,847

    Smile Re: All - nchc awards

    I kind of hope Boeser, somehow, doesn't win ROY just so I can see Schlossman have a coronary on Twitter.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

  3. #3
    Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Your award winners and rookie team look good to me. Would go with these all-conference teams, not much difference.

    1st team
    Boeser
    Guentzel
    Benik
    Prow
    Stecher
    Kaskisuo

    2nd
    Kossila
    Heinen
    Caggiula
    Belpedio
    Welinski
    Lindgren

    3rd
    Moore
    Gambrell
    Schmaltz
    LaDue
    Soucy
    Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    150

    Re: All - nchc awards

    I would replace Borgen with Schuldt on the rookie team. Schuldt has the luxury of playing with Prow on defense but his numbers are substantially better.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,186

    Re: All - nchc awards

    I was close on the Rookie team. Schuldt did make it, instead of Pionk.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,186

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Going to be wrong on POY. Boeser wasn't even nominated by UND. Sucks that nominations have to be in early.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  7. #7
    #BanBiddy Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Posts
    55,847

    Smile Re: All - nchc awards

    Brock wouldn't have won anyways. For a freshman to win POY they need to be far and away the best player in the league, like Eichel last year in HE. When Boeser is arguably not even the best player on his line, he wasn't going to win. Whether that's fair or not, it's just the way it is.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,186

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Brock wouldn't have won anyways. For a freshman to win POY they need to be far and away the best player in the league, like Eichel last year in HE. When Boeser is arguably not even the best player on his line, he wasn't going to win. Whether that's fair or not, it's just the way it is.
    Yeah, maybe. But he scored a goal in 17 of the 24 conference games he played in. I think next best was something like 11 of 24.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  9. #9
    Like-Minded Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind enemy lines
    Posts
    1,284

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,340

    Re: All - nchc awards

    All-Conference First Team
    F Danton Heinen, So., Denver
    F Brock Boeser, Fr., North Dakota
    F Drake Caggiula, Sr., North Dakota
    D Ethan Prow, Sr., St. Cloud State
    D Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
    G Charlie Lindgren, Jr., St. Cloud State

    All-Conference Second Team
    F Joey Benik, Sr., St. Cloud State
    F Jake Guentzel, Jr., Nebraska-Omaha
    F Kalle Kossila, Sr., St. Cloud State
    D Troy Stecher, Jr., North Dakota
    D Andy Welinski, Sr., Minnesota-Duluth
    G Cam Johnson, So., North Dakota

    Honorable Mention All-Conference
    F Nick Schmaltz, So., North Dakota
    F Trevor Moore, Jr., Denver
    F Sean Kuraly, Sr., Miami
    D Louie Belpedio, So., Miami
    D Paul LaDue, Jr., North Dakota
    G Kasimir Kaskisuo, So., Minnesota-Duluth

    Sounds like Prow may be the favorite for POTY.

    Boeser also logged a plus-23 rating and tallied four game-winning goals, both of which were second in the NCHC.
    In case you're wondering... Jimmy Schuldt (+26) and Joey Benik (5 GWG)
    Last edited by The Exiled One; 03-09-2016 at 04:03 PM.

  11. #11
    0 for 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    395

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
    All-Conference First Team
    F Danton Heinen, So., Denver
    F Brock Boeser, Fr., North Dakota
    F Drake Caggiula, Sr., North Dakota
    D Ethan Prow, Sr., St. Cloud State
    D Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
    G Charlie Lindgren, Jr., St. Cloud State

    All-Conference Second Team
    F Joey Benik, Sr., St. Cloud State
    F Jake Guentzel, Jr., Nebraska-Omaha
    F Kalle Kossila, Sr., St. Cloud State
    D Troy Stecher, Jr., North Dakota
    D Andy Welinski, Sr., Minnesota-Duluth
    G Cam Johnson, So., North Dakota

    Honorable Mention All-Conference
    F Nick Schmaltz, So., North Dakota
    F Trevor Moore, Jr., Denver
    F Sean Kuraly, Sr., Miami
    D Louie Belpedio, So., Miami
    D Paul LaDue, Jr., North Dakota
    G Kasimir Kaskisuo, So., Minnesota-Duluth

    Sounds like Prow may be the favorite for POTY.



    In case you're wondering... Jimmy Schuldt (+26) and Joey Benik (5 GWG)
    Not that I disagree but I didn't expect to see Charlie on the all conference first team.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Only 1/3 of the awards went to UND players? NoDak was robbed...

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,957

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by willythekid View Post
    Only 1/3 of the awards went to UND players? NoDak was robbed...
    At least they haven't stolen your "Fighting Hawks" nickname
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  14. #14
    Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: All - nchc awards

    I think Heinen and Caggiula making 1st team ahead of Guentzel is horseshiz. Kuraly making 3rd team is probably more of a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

  15. #15
    southpaw
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    I think Heinen and Caggiula making 1st team ahead of Guentzel is horseshiz. Kuraly making 3rd team is probably more of a joke.
    Why? He had fewer points per game in conference than both of them. I'd say Benik could have been considered 1st team ahead of Caggiula but you have to think the flashy goals played a part in the whole process.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,340

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Why? He had fewer points per game in conference than both of them. I'd say Benik could have been considered 1st team ahead of Caggiula but you have to think the flashy goals played a part in the whole process.
    I'm not criticising any of the placements, but I find it curious that a first team case has now been made for Guentzel and Benik with no mention of Kossila. Weird.

  17. #17
    Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: All - nchc awards

    Quote Originally Posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Why? He had fewer points per game in conference than both of them. I'd say Benik could have been considered 1st team ahead of Caggiula but you have to think the flashy goals played a part in the whole process.
    Because I don't just look at points or points per game. Part of my evaluation involves the eye test, and when I watched Guentzel play he was more impressive than Caggiula and Heinen. Guentzel was also on a team with a bunch of stiffs who couldn't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag.

    Caggiula is a fine player and I guess I can see why someone would disagree with me. Heinen I don't get.
    Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 03-10-2016 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

  18. #18
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,550

    Re: All - nchc awards

    AWARD FINALISTS

    Herb Brooks Coach of the Year Finalists
    Brad Berry, UND
    Jim Montgomery, Denver
    Bob Motzko, SCSU

    Player of the Year Finalists
    Drake Caggiula, Sr., F, UND
    Danton Heinen, So., F, Denver
    Ethan Prow, Sr., D, SCSU

    Scholar-Athlete of the Year Finalists
    Kalle Kossila, Sr., F, SCSU
    Gabe Levin, Sr., F, Denver

    Rookie of the Year Finalists
    Brock Boeser, F, UND
    Dylan Gambrell, F, Denver
    Jack Roslovic, F, Miami

    Goaltender of the Year Finalists
    Cam Johnson, So., UND
    Kasimir Kaskisuo, So., UMD
    Charlie Lindgren, Jr., SCSU

    Forward of the Year Finalists
    Drake Caggiula, Sr., UND
    Jake Guentzel, Jr., Omaha
    Danton Heinen, So., Denver

    Defenseman of the Year Finalists
    Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
    Ethan Prow, Sr., SCSU
    Troy Stecher, Jr., UND
    Andy Welinski, Sr., UMD

    Offensive Defenseman of the Year Finalists
    Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
    Ethan Prow, Sr., SCSU
    Troy Stecher, Jr., UND

    Defensive Forward of the Year Finalists
    Kalle Kossila, Sr., SCSU
    Sean Kuraly, Sr., Miami
    Quentin Shore, Sr., Denver

    Three Stars Award Finalists
    Brock Boeser, Fr., F, UND
    Danton Heinen, So., F, Denver
    Tanner Jaillet, So., G, Denver
    Charlie Lindgren, Jr., G, SCSU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •