NAIA Hockey Possible Comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAIA Hockey Possible Comeback

Ya I did some digging around. Prior to the start of the DII tournament (1978) and the DIII tournament (1984) some NCAA teams must've been allowed to compete in both the NCAA and the NAIA. On UMass-Boston's site it says Boston State played Salem State in the district finals to reach the NAIA tournament in '68. And Salem State went to the tournament in '69. Both were in the ECAC DII at the time.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      Ya I did some digging around. Prior to the start of the DII tournament (1978) and the DIII tournament (1984) some NCAA teams must've been allowed to compete in both the NCAA and the NAIA. On UMass-Boston's site it says Boston State played Salem State in the district finals to reach the NAIA tournament in '68. And Salem State went to the tournament in '69. Both were in the ECAC DII at the time.
      And the Goaltender for Boston State, who set records for saves in one game was named Berglund, (could be Bill or Bob).

Thanks for the info on Salem State, I did not know that.

Comment

Personally, I could see the NAIA looking like this in a few years. I really think that this would be a dream scenario for them after a pretty solid start.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

MICHIGAN DIVISION
        Lawrence Tech
        Concordia Ann Arbor
        UM Dearborn
        Rochester College

MIDWEST DIVISION
        Aquinas
        Indiana Tech
        Robert Morris (Illinois)
        Life/Holy Cross

WESTERN CONFERENCE

CENTRAL DIVISION
        Waldorf
        Dordt
        Lindenwood - Belleville
        Midland

MOUNTAIN DIVISION
        Montana Tech
        Providence
        Jamestown
        Carroll

Couple Notes...

- Obviously this only includes teams that currently exist, as I have not heard of any other NAIA schools adding hockey other than those already announced.
        - 8/16 of these teams will be participating in the NAIA next season
        - I believe Holy Cross ACHA D3 folded in 2014, would there be any interest in a return now that there is NAIA hockey?
        - It is very hard to find information regarding Life's hockey program, any updates.
        - Concordia and Providence (Montana) will be adding hockey for 2018-2019

Looking at the standings and scoreboard, the league seems to be off to a fairly competitive start. Nice to see many close games with teams coming from ACHA D1, D2 and D3, was not quite sure how that would be go. Let me know if i missed any teams or if you change anything!
        Last edited by Griffins23; 02-06-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I think that's pretty close for the teams we know now, although with things moving forward I think NAIA is prime from more expansion like CUAA and UofProvidence starting programs from scratch.

The one thing about the current group is that I don't think schedule clusters would break up the WHAC schools. Also all indications is that the Life hockey program is dead or pushed to intramural status. The university's old AD and admins looked to be putting more emphasis but it looks like there was some admin turnover.

WHAC
          Aquinas
          Concordia Ann Arbor
          Indiana Tech
          Lawrence Tech
          UM Dearborn
          Rochester College

MIDWEST DIVISION
          Dordt
          Lindenwood - Belleville
          Midland
          Robert Morris (Illinois)
          Waldorf

MOUNTAIN DIVISION
          Montana Tech
          Providence
          Jamestown
          Carroll

Further growth I'd expect to see schools from the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC), Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC), North Star Athletic Association (NSAA) as likely target areas. Also with the growth of hockey and also NCAA D3 into Western PA, i'd love to see some of the Pittsburgh schools in the River States Conference (RSC) add varsity hockey. Also the NAIA is trying to make a push back into the Northeast US with dual affiliate Northeastern Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (NIAC) so continued growth into the region could be a great spark to NAIA hockey.
          Last edited by sbkbghockey; 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

To be become an official NAIA emerging sport the threshold is 15 teams correct?

Comment

That is what I have heard. It is very encouraging that Providence and Concordia are starting teams from scratch. Concordia will be jumping directly into the NAIA but has anyone heard what Providence plans on doing? I assume they'll probably wait until other western teams join?

Regarding Life, that is interesting. I had no idea they got a new AD, but that could explain how they went from being one of the first teams named to the NAIA to not even participating in the ACHA. Does anyone have info regarding Holy Cross? They would be a perfect fit with the other mid-western teams but have not had a hockey program since 13-14 I believe.

Getting UM-Dearborn to flip from ACHA D1 to NAIA was huge for a new league. However, the fact that Robert Morris, Jamestown and Rochester still have not announced a move is worrisome. I understand scheduling makes movement tough and wanting to wait for the league to become more established, but i am beginning to question whether they move to NAIA at all.

Comment

Possibly just a mistake, but UM-Dearborn and Aquinas College no longer appear of the NAIA Hockey website. Haven't found any other information, but is it possible they're backing out to stay with ACHA?

Comment

According to this short update from Junior Hockey News, apparently the new NAIA hockey league that sprung up last year apparently never actually had NAIA sanctioning. Explains why there's some inconsistency as to who's in the league and who isn't. It looks like UM-Dearborn has officially jumped ship. I guess this experiment has failed. I'd be surprised if they're still playing in any form next year. The NAIA WHAC conference is still sponsoring hockey though, so we'll see.

https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/ne...?news_id=93550

Comment

The NAIA teams (and WHAC conference) were accepted back into ACHA Men's Division 1 for the 2019-2020 season. Some of the other NAIA teams will be playing in a new Midwest Hockey Conference at the Men's D1 level.

http://achahockey.org/view/achahocke...ws/news_511252

http://achahockey.org/view/achahocke...ws/news_511253

Comment

The NAIA programs were accepted back into ACHA Division Men's Division 1. The WHAC Conference and a new Midwest Hockey Conference, also comprised of some NAIA programs, will be playing at the ACHA D1 level beginning next season 2019-20.

http://www.whac.net/article/4570

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                        According to this short update from Junior Hockey News, apparently the new NAIA hockey league that sprung up last year apparently never actually had NAIA sanctioning. Explains why there's some inconsistency as to who's in the league and who isn't. It looks like UM-Dearborn has officially jumped ship. I guess this experiment has failed. I'd be surprised if they're still playing in any form next year. The NAIA WHAC conference is still sponsoring hockey though, so we'll see.

https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/ne...?news_id=93550

I'm generally not a fan of that site, but the NAIA Hockey org was always a stop-gap between the ACHA and full NAIA status when they gain enough schools, many still playing ACHA in addition to the steady expansion of NAIA schools starting new fully funded varsity hockey programs.

Other emerging NAIA sports have remained in the non-NCAA governing bodies like men's lacrosse, bowling, cheerleading, women's wrestling, etc... long enough to gain that full NAIA standing (20-25 teams min). A few have been pushed out of those orgs and had to have stop-gap orgs during the emerging phase.

Although, Chris Heisler tends to be very biased towards orgs he's worked with or connected to in some fashion, and some of his "reporting" is more tabloid rather than newspaper, a major reason for the change of direction might be found in one of his other recent articles: https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/ne...?news_id=93554

The ACHA has had a change of leadership at the top, and that likely comes with new guidance and direction. Craig Barnett, longtime NCAA conference admin, NCAA hockey guy, and longtime NAHL exec, is now the Executive Director at the ACHA. A few years ago, it looked like they were pushing the NAIA and varsity programs to the door but it looks like a under Barnett, the ACHA is welcoming those programs back to their Division I level. Could be a win-win during the emerging sports phase, it allows the NAIA to grow its programs in a stable org with USAH connections, University Winter Games exposure, and also helps the ACHA show their level is more than club hockey, especially at the ACHA DI level.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                          Craig Barnett, longtime NCAA conference admin, NCAA hockey guy, and longtime NAHL exec, is now the Executive Director at the ACHA.
                          You forgot Plattsburgh State alum!!!
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95
                          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                          X