Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

This team will probably perform even below dismal pre-season expectations. You would expect more success of a team where everyone is over 21 years old….
    Just trying to keep our State financial woes and impacts on athletics out of the other threads.

Re: 2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

Echoing Squarebanks, if Governor Walker POs the Legislature so much he's obviously doing something right.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

You can't even make up some of the shenanigans they are doing right now. We may be broke, but by God students better be able carry on campus.

(Never mind that no single student testified in favor of allowing concealed carry on campus).
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Since we are talking legislature and budget here, something I found interesting is the democrats raised more funds than the republicans in Alaska in 2015 (http://midnightsunak.com/2016/02/22/1798/). To me, that is very interesting going into the big 2016 election year. Granted there is still a lot of time before November elections, but it would seem to correlate with increasing dis-satisfaction among many Alaska voters over our current elected officials.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

If you want to read through the House budget documents for the University, they are here: http://www.akleg.gov/basis/Meeting/D...9:00:00#tab4_4

Senate close out for the UA Subcommitee is next Wednesday morning. Pete Kelly and Johnny Ellis are both on the Senate UA committee and are both much friendlier to UA historically. The other Senate committee members are Gary Stevens and Anna MacKinnon.

Comment

Sen Stevens is a very reasonable person, thinks before he speaks, and does not try to be cute with off the cuff comments that usually fail (like many USCHO posters, including myself). I respect his opinion and effort regardless if I agree or not. Friendly or not, Kelly is an arrogant, self righteous twit (IMHO). I'm neutral on Ellis and MacKinnon.

Comment

The thing is that Alaska has historically been feast or famine financially. So you gotta think at some point the oil revenue will re appear.
              You would think the financial solution would lay with things that can be turned off or on easily rather than not.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Over the last 35 years, the big financial variable was price of oil. Now it’s price and volume. Both have tanked. Volume through the pipeline has diminished dramatically, and between federal environmental regulations and current low profit margins, there is not much hope for increased throughput in the near future. We have other resources that could be developed, but most are locked up tight. The Feds have somewhat a strangle hold on this state, with over 60% of Alaska under federal ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  The thing is that Alaska has historically been feast or famine financially. So you gotta think at some point the oil revenue will re appear.
                  You would think the financial solution would lay with things that can be turned off or on easily rather than not.
                  You would think, but a good chunk of our majority brand themselves as fiscal conservatives. A budget crisis like this is a wet dream for some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    Sen Stevens is a very reasonable person, thinks before he speaks, and does not try to be cute with off the cuff comments that usually fail (like many USCHO posters, including myself). I respect his opinion and effort regardless if I agree or not. Friendly or not, Kelly is an arrogant, self righteous twit (IMHO). I'm neutral on Ellis and MacKinnon.
                    I don't know much about Stevens, so that's good to hear.

Johnny Ellis is an Anchorage democrat who has always been friendly to UA.

Anna MacKinnon is the Eagle River republican who keeps trying to repeal daylight savings (if, like me, you work for a large company headquartered somewhere else in the country chances are you hate that bill). I wouldn't expect much from her.

Pete Kelly may be all of the things you described, but he used to work for UA (as a lobbyist, no less) so that should help. Or one would think.

Comment

So last I read; the republicans wanna wait until 2019 to implement the income tax, do they know something we don't or are they really that incompetent?
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        So last I read; the republicans wanna wait until 2019 to implement the income tax, do they know something we don't or are they really that incompetent?
                        Kick the can down the road and pray oil comes back up before then so they can forget about that terrible T word. Alaska politics defined.

Comment

In case you missed what's happening in Kansas, where even republicans are abandoning the vote they made two years ago. big cuts to universities.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-la...055057812.html
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            I don't know much about Stevens, so that's good to hear.

Johnny Ellis is an Anchorage democrat who has always been friendly to UA.

Anna MacKinnon is the Eagle River republican who keeps trying to repeal daylight savings (if, like me, you work for a large company headquartered somewhere else in the country chances are you hate that bill). I wouldn't expect much from her.

Pete Kelly may be all of the things you described, but he used to work for UA (as a lobbyist, no less) so that should help. Or one would think.
                            Ellis is a standup guy. He pushed real hard to get the engineering programs going at both campuses.
                            MacKinnon is a far, far right wingnut. It appears to me she is trying to make a name for herself with the prevo's and neo-conservatives. She's an enemy to anything moderate or middle of the road.
                            Unfortunately for us you got the wrong read on Kelly. He sold us down the river.
                            This blind allegiance to the party is sinking not just the University but the entire Alaska middle class.
                            Pushing the income tax to the future was simply trying to avoid putting the final nail in their political future coffin.
                            But we should pay some of the wealthiest companies in the world to take "our" oil.
                            The saddest part of the whole deal is they will be re-elected.
                            The general public has a very short memory and the majority don't vote.
                            Anyone want to know how I really feel?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Ellis is a standup guy. He pushed real hard to get the engineering programs going at both campuses.
                              MacKinnon is a far, far right wingnut. It appears to me she is trying to make a name for herself with the prevo's and neo-conservatives. She's an enemy to anything moderate or middle of the road.
                              Unfortunately for us you got the wrong read on Kelly. He sold us down the river.
                              This blind allegiance to the party is sinking not just the University but the entire Alaska middle class.
                              Pushing the income tax to the future was simply trying to avoid putting the final nail in their political future coffin.
                              But we should pay some of the wealthiest companies in the world to take "our" oil.
                              The saddest part of the whole deal is they will be re-elected.
                              The general public has a very short memory and the majority don't vote.
                              Anyone want to know how I really feel?
                              I think that's pretty well said. It'll be interesting to see what happens in November. I don't foresee a wholesale changing of the guard, but I do think we will see the legislature get a bit more moderate.

I've also heard there's a republican candidate lined up to run against North Pole's Wingnut Wilson. If she loses re-election just cross your fingers Reinbold doesn't get to chair the UA committee...she might be even worse.

If Chenault really does retire then change is in the wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X