Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1001

Thread: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Code:
     # Name                Ps commitm. Team (League)                   Year  DOB      Ht    Wt  Hometown
     9 Cory Babichuk       LD 11/02/14 CAC Gregg Distributors (AMHL)   2017  09/28/98 5'10" 160 Edmonton, AB
    21 Jon Bendorf         LW 08/15/15 Team Comcast 18U (AYHL)         2018  02/26/99 6'00" 185 Hamilton, NJ
    21                                 The Hun School
    27 Todd Burgess         C 04/14/14 Fairbanks Ice Dogs (NAHL)       2016  04/03/96 6'02" 185 Phoenix, AZ
    20 Austin Cho          LD 02/24/14 Georgetown Raiders (OJHL)       16/17 05/19/97 6'01" 190 Mississauga, ON
    19 Carlos Fornaris      C 02/13/13 Topeka RoadRunners (NAHL)       2016  02/17/95 5'09" 176 Miami FL
    20 Jacob Hayhurst #     C 02/13/14 Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) 2016  01/20/97 5'08  170 Mississauga, ON
     5 Charles Manley *#   LD 12/19/11 Estevan Bruins (SJHL)           2016  07/16/96 5'11" 185 Orchard Park, NY
     4 Jacob Modry         LD 07/19/15 Los Angeles Jr. Kings U16 AAA   2018  01/23/99 6'03" 168 El Segundo, CA
    19 Emil Ohrvall        LW 05/17/15 Shattuck St. Marys Prep         2017  06/10/98 5'10" 151 Vaxjo, Sweden
    35 Chase Perry          G 12/02/15 Wenatchee Wild (BCHL)           2016  02/08/96 6'03" 195 Andover, MN
    27 Patrick Polino      RW 12/09/15 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2016  04/11/95 5'08" 172 Buffalo, NY
    
    
    Women
     2 Kendra Farole       LD 03/15/15 California Wave U16             2016  01/29/98 5'05" 129 Huntington Beach, CA
    28 Meg Hayes *#         F 04/19/15 NAHA Major Junior White         2016  01/04/98 x'xx" xxx White River Jct, VT
    15 Morgan Ondrick       F 02/08/15 Chicago Young Amer. U19 (HPHL)  2017  10/06/98 5'08" 145 Shorewood, IL
    10 Blake Orosz #        F 09/11/15 Nepean Wildcats (PWHL)          2016  09/04/97 5'02" 130 Chase Mills, NY
     7 Sabrina Repaci       F 07/20/15 Toronto Aeros (PWHL)            2016  11/07/98 5'05" 145 Toronto, ON
    11 Katarina Seper #     D 12/19/14 Lakeville North HS (South Sub.) 2016  07/22/98 5'08.5155 Lakeville, MN
                                       Minnesota Ice Cats U19
    * In the RPI directory
    # Known to have signed National Letter of Intent
    The years the men's recruits are listed as committed for are not necessarily accurate.
    The dates on which some of the women are listed as committing on may be considerably after the actual dates.

  3. #3
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Code:
     # Name                Ps Team (League)                      Gm- G- A-  P- PM Next Gm
     6 Cory Babichuk       LD Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL)      2- 0- 1-  1- 16
     9                        CAC Gregg Distributors (AMHL)      22- 1-14- 15- 16 01/16/16
                              total                              24- 1-15- 16- 32
    21 Jon Bendorf         LW Team Comcast 18U (AYHL)            17- 8- 9- 17-  6 01/16/16
                              non-league                          X- X- X-  X-  X 01/09/16
    21                        The Hun School                      X-11-12- 23-  X 01/11/16
                              Total                               X-19-21- 40-  X
    27 Todd Burgess         C Fairbanks Ice Dog (NAHL)           31-21-32- 53- 32 01/08/16
     6 Austin Cho          LD Vernon Vipers (BCHL)               17- 0- 1-  1- 15 
    16                        Langley Rivermen                    7- 0- 1-  1-  2
    20                        Georgetown Raiders                 10- 2-10- 12-  0 01/08/16
                              Totel                              34- 2-12- 14- 17
    19 Carlos Fornaris      C Topeka RoadRunners (NAHL)          29- 5- 9- 14- 22 01/15/16
    20 Jacob Hayhurst       C Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)    21- 2- 8- 10- 22 01/08/15
     5 Charles Manley      LD Estevan Bruins (SJHL)              37- 1-13- 14-  6 01/08/15
     4 Jacob Modry         LD Los Angeles Jr Kings U16AAA (T1El.)23- 1- 6-  7- 14 01/09/16
                              Los Angeles Jr Kings (CAHA)         9- 2- 1-  3-  2 01/09/16
                              adjustment for double counting     -1  0  0   0  -2 same game both leagues 1/9
                              Total                              31- 3- 7- 10- 14
    19 Emil Ohrvall        LW Shattuck St. Marys Prep (Elite Lea)15-12-10- 22-  2 season over
                              non-league                         14-10- 9- 19-  4 01/09/16
                              Total                              29-22-19- 41-  6
    35 Chase Perry          G Wenatchee Wild (BCHL)          30-17-10-2-2.39-.901 01/08/16
    27 Patrick Polino      RW Lincoln Stars (USHL)               30-11- 9- 20- 35 01/08/16
    
    Women
     2 Kendra Farole       LD California Wave U16                 X- X- X-  X-  X
    28 Meg Hayes            F NAHA Major Junior White            40- 3-11- 14- 12
    15 Morgan Ondrick       F Chicago Young Americans U19 (HPHL)  X- X- X-  X-  X
    10 Blake Orosz          F Nepean Wildcats (PWHL)             24-13- 8- 21- 14
     7 Sabrina Repaci       F Toronto Aeros (PWHL)               18- 2- 9- 11-  2
    11 Katerina Seper       D Lakeville North HS (South Sub.)    17- 6- 7- 13-  0
                              Minnesota Ice Cats U19              X- X- X-  X-  X

  4. #4
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

  5. #5
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Just reading this summary of Esteven's game yesterday. https://www.discoverestevan.com/local...ainst-klippers It mentions
    They quickly tied up the game at three thanks to a Ryan Duret deflection off of a Charlie Manley point shot.
    The box score https://www.leaguestat.com/sjhl/sjhl/...p?game_id=3220 shows the goal as "2. Duret, (3) (Duret), 7:14" which is obviously wrong since there is only one Duret on the team. The software must have figured out there was a problem since Duret doesn't have an assist in the summary. I assume that eventually CM will get a second assist.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-08-2016 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #6
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Turk: Tried to respond to your post on the previous thread #998 but the thread closed on me. NJ has some incredibly competitive teams and players over the past decade. The Ivy teams live at Delbarton. Last night we faced a Princeton team that sports Colton Phinney in goal and Tommy Davis on the ice. Just scan the Yale line up any year in the past ten and see whether they have a Delbarton kid somewhere. 20 years ago it was our own Brick Township school but now the prep schools are the places to look. The only time I saw an RPI guy down here was when they were looking at Drew Melanson. He has been our chance to get a foot in the door and I would have hoped we would have followed up on it. I have not checked but Delbarton looks like the powerhouse they were a few years ago. At Miami we face another kid that was a couple years behind Drew. I thought Josh Melnick was a bit small for NCAA Division I hockey but he obviously has made the jump successfully. He is i believe a freshman and one of their leading scorers and gave us plenty of trouble in the last two games. I know we do not have the resources to be everywhere but as you point out, it is not a long expensive trip to go see Albany Academy play.
    I consider coach Appert one of the best recruiters we have had in my over 50 years of RPI hockey. But i see, as do you, some places where we should be looking and having contact.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,323

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    I’m not so sure they were even looking at Drew Doc. The Melanson’s were in the area & took in the RPI/#26 game @ HFH the night Bailen scored the OT winner. He loved it & decided then & there he wanted to play here. Now, it’s possible SA had talked to him before that visit but Drew never mentioned it to me when he told me that story. Of course, as you say the coaches can’t be everywhere. A mid-level school won’t have that kind of budget. SA seems to prefer, Ont., Mnn., & Alberta where he has eyes he counts on. Lots of fishes in lots of ponds though.

  8. #8
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Turk: Tried to respond to your post on the previous thread #998 but the thread closed on me. NJ has some incredibly competitive teams and players over the past decade. The Ivy teams live at Delbarton. Last night we faced a Princeton team that sports Colton Phinney in goal and Tommy Davis on the ice. Just scan the Yale line up any year in the past ten and see whether they have a Delbarton kid somewhere. 20 years ago it was our own Brick Township school but now the prep schools are the places to look. The only time I saw an RPI guy down here was when they were looking at Drew Melanson. He has been our chance to get a foot in the door and I would have hoped we would have followed up on it. I have not checked but Delbarton looks like the powerhouse they were a few years ago. At Miami we face another kid that was a couple years behind Drew. I thought Josh Melnick was a bit small for NCAA Division I hockey but he obviously has made the jump successfully. He is i believe a freshman and one of their leading scorers and gave us plenty of trouble in the last two games. I know we do not have the resources to be everywhere but as you point out, it is not a long expensive trip to go see Albany Academy play.
    I consider coach Appert one of the best recruiters we have had in my over 50 years of RPI hockey. But i see, as do you, some places where we should be looking and having contact.
    While I do agree that someone should watch the game at AA, I don't believe that we are neglecting NJ. We currently have two NJ natives on the team and another on the way. (Granted, one wasn't playing there when we recruited him.) I got bored after checking abut 20 rosters a couple of weeks ago, but I only found PU and YU with more. We also have a player (Gillespie) who was playing junior hockey in NJ when we recruited him.

    BTW, this evening Patrick Pollino will play his 200th USHL game.


  9. #9
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Iím not so sure they were even looking at Drew Doc. The Melansonís were in the area & took in the RPI/#26 game @ HFH the night Bailen scored the OT winner. He loved it & decided then & there he wanted to play here. Now, itís possible SA had talked to him before that visit but Drew never mentioned it to me when he told me that story. Of course, as you say the coaches canít be everywhere. A mid-level school wonít have that kind of budget. SA seems to prefer, Ont., Mnn., & Alberta where he has eyes he counts on. Lots of fishes in lots of ponds though.
    We seem to recruit in more places than most schools do. The exception being New England.

  10. #10
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Iím not so sure they were even looking at Drew Doc. The Melansonís were in the area & took in the RPI/#26 game @ HFH the night Bailen scored the OT winner. He loved it & decided then & there he wanted to play here. Now, itís possible SA had talked to him before that visit but Drew never mentioned it to me when he told me that story. Of course, as you say the coaches canít be everywhere. A mid-level school wonít have that kind of budget. SA seems to prefer, Ont., Mnn., & Alberta where he has eyes he counts on. Lots of fishes in lots of ponds though.
    And apparently Sweden. I would love to see us have some interest in New England as we had in past years. NJ does not have to be a major interest but once we get a few boys from here (and we 2 born here now and another who played here, you might hope we have some connections. SA obviously is a very good judge of talent, i would be the first to agree to that. he can also sell ice cubes to eskimos. I just hate to see us miss out on talent that others seem to be following. Especially when these kids end up in the ECAC against us twice a year for 4 years.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  11. #11
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    While I do agree that someone should watch the game at AA, I don't believe that we are neglecting NJ. We currently have two NJ natives on the team and another on the way. (Granted, one wasn't playing there when we recruited him.) I got bored after checking abut 20 rosters a couple of weeks ago, but I only found PU and YU with more. We also have a player (Gillespie) who was playing junior hockey in NJ when we recruited him.

    BTW, this evening Patrick Pollino will play his 200th USHL game.

    I think neglect is too strong a word. But we never see much RPI presence at the NJ games we go to or the tournaments. As you mention, we do have 2 on the team now and one coming and one more in KG who played here. As i mentioned to Turk, I just hate when an ECAC team grabs one of these kids and we have to play against him twice a year for 4 years.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  12. #12
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We seem to recruit in more places than most schools do. The exception being New England.
    And Quebec. Although we never had many players from there, an occasional boy from there would be nice to add to our international contingent.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  13. #13
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    And Quebec. Although we never had many players from there, an occasional boy from there would be nice to add to our international contingent.
    I agree, but no one else recruits there much currently either. Even Vermont which once did doesn't now. There are just a few players overall.

    Edit: I think that because of the language problems, Quebec natives are not that interested in US colleges.
    OTOH, I got several tweets about Martin St. Louis being honored by Vermont.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-08-2016 at 01:41 PM.

  14. #14
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    I think neglect is too strong a word. But we never see much RPI presence at the NJ games we go to or the tournaments. As you mention, we do have 2 on the team now and one coming and one more in KG who played here. As i mentioned to Turk, I just hate when an ECAC team grabs one of these kids and we have to play against him twice a year for 4 years.
    We can't get everyone -- fewer than 30 roster spaces. I regard this as a nonissue. Yes, there are NJ natives who would look in Cherry and White, but that's true of everywhere.

  15. #15
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I agree, but no one else recruits there much currently either. Even Vermont which once did doesn't now. There are just a few players overall.
    Well maybe we could find a face off specialist there. St Hillaire was quite good.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  16. #16
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Well maybe we could find a face off specialist there. St Hillaire was quite good.
    So was Adam Oates, and he wasn't from Quebec. I like to believe that we can fill our needs anywhere -- the bigger problem is convincing them to go to RPI. We have talked for years about the problems that RPI has in recruiting.

  17. #17
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We can't get everyone -- fewer than 30 roster spaces. I regard this as a nonissue. Yes, there are NJ natives who would look in Cherry and White, but that's true of everywhere.
    Not the point at all-what I am talking about is having someone at least looking here. up until the recent crop (DM, etc) we were just never here. Jen and i have been attending NJ HS hcokey for 40 years and i can count easily (on one hand) how often we have seen anyone from Troy down here. Even at the state championships (both public school and prep school) we are conspicuous by our absence. And this is not an SA thing at all. never saw anyone here under Fridgen or Powers.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  18. #18
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    So was Adam Oates, and he wasn't from Quebec. I like to believe that we can fill our needs anywhere -- the bigger problem is convincing them to go to RPI. We have talked for years about the problems that RPI has in recruiting.
    Someone feed you carpet tacks today? You seem to be unusually contrary. I just used St. Hillaire as an example of a player from Quebec that turned out to be a nice find. Of course Oates was a good face off man as well as a scorer and assist man. Just pointing out areas that we just do not seem to be recruiting from. When you are trying to build a program into a perennial tournament power, you have to not overlook any fertile areas.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  19. #19
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    199,935

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Someone feed you carpet tacks today? You seem to be unusually contrary. I just used St. Hillaire as an example of a player from Quebec that turned out to be a nice find. Of course Oates was a good face off man as well as a scorer and assist man. Just pointing out areas that we just do not seem to be recruiting from. When you are trying to build a program into a perennial tournament power, you have to not overlook any fertile areas.
    Yes, that could be it.

    We have had a lot of good players over the years from Quebec. I was saying that we seem to be looking most everywhere. I can't believe that SA wouldn't look at a Quebec player if there was one who fits and was interested. Currently or in the pipeline we have, in no particular order, players from 9 states (NY, NJ, MN, NC, CA, IL, MA, FL, AZ), 4 Canadian Provinces (ON, AB, BC, MB), and 2 European Countries (Sweden, Slovakia). I hope that I didn't miss any. I think that is great distribution.

  20. #20
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,796

    Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2015-16 Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Yes, that could be it.

    We have had a lot of good players over the years from Quebec. I was saying that we seem to be looking most everywhere. I can't believe that SA wouldn't look at a Quebec player if there was one who fits and was interested. Currently or in the pipeline we have, in no particular order, players from 9 states (NY, NJ, MN, NC, CA, IL, MA, FL, AZ), 4 Canadian Provinces (ON, AB, BC, MB), and 2 European Countries (Sweden, Slovakia). I hope that I didn't miss any. I think that is great distribution.
    So do I and i agree completely. i can't help but think there has to be some eastern European boys who are top notch hockey prospects but who also think of engineering as a career. We've had a Russian but I think we have a lot to offer from an education standpoint to a young 6'2" 215 pound Czech who wants to have Electrical Engineering as a back up just in case the NHL does not come calling.

    Edit: it does seem to me that over the years we almost always had a higher percentage of Canadian boys than we do now. i am sure there are a plethora of reasons why, but I do find it interesting.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •