Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Welp, just bought my first ever new car last weekend at age forty-mumble - a stylin' 2020 Toyota Sienna XLE with all the bells & whistles. Amazing how much the technology has changed just in the last 5 years. It's hard to imagine what else we might "need" in a car between now and fully self-driving cars, but I'm sure they will keep dreaming up new things to tack on.

In what may be just a coincidence, baby #2 is due today (nothing yet)....
    My Miata has all that. It can recognize speed limits and stop signs and put a little icon in the gauge cluster to show what the speed limit is or if you have to stop. It will also beep at you if you signal for a lane change and there's a car in your blind spot (that one's actually handy because the RF has big ol' pillars for the retractable roof.) It will beep at you if you're about to swerve out of your lane (I turned that off because I try to dodge manholes/potholes and it was going crazy.) You can set speed traps/cameras on the navigation and have it beep to remind you when you pass. You can even set the temp gauge to zoom in on the 210-260 range (if you're pushing hard on a track and need to know your temperature more precisely.)

And that's in a flippin' Miata, a car whose whole point is to be simple and efficient and put the driver in charge.

Check out Doug DeMuro's car videos on YouTube. Endearingly dorky dude who likes to look at "quirks and features" - he could have a million dollar hypercar and spend 5 minutes geeking out over how the glovebox opens.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Did he review the top-of-the-line BMW 7 series a few years back? The one that can un-park itself using the keyfob?

Edit: Yep. That’s the guy. He’s great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fg5S3cFwzKI
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I've watched a lot of his videos. When he spends 3 minutes opening all the doors and hatches on the Model X is funny. Looks like the thing is trying to fly away.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

New C8 'Vette:

Mid engine, 495 HP, 470 lb-ft, starting MSRP under $60K.

Looks way better than I gave the mules credit for - they kinda looked like the Generic Unlicensed Sports Car from a PS2 game.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-leake...&ICID=ref_fark
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This Camaro SS is hella fun, eases the pain of traffic on Oahu. Thanks to Hertz.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              New C8 'Vette:

Looks way better than I gave the mules credit for - they kinda looked like the Generic Unlicensed Sports Car from a PS2 game.

Bet that thing is a pain to work on, keep it as long as it warrantied and then dump it. Should be a hoot to drive.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                New C8 'Vette:

Looks like a C7 and a 458 had a child. I bet there are people that are MAD.

Good. I like it.

Comment

Bugatti has just cracked the 300 MPH barrier in an ungoverned, specially prepped Chiron.

I didn't think we'd see this for a while - Michelin has even admitted they're not sure they could make tires that stood up to that speed. The prep that went into the aero and tires was incredible. Apparently "a little squirrely" at 200 becomes "VERY squirrely" at 300.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...&ICID=ref_fark

Comment

"A little squirrely at 200..."

I'll take "Phrases I never thought I'd hear, for $400, Alex."
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Going that fast really screws with your senses. I love a particular story about a driver that got the Veyron up to top speed. When he was about to put it in park and open the door to get out, he noticed he was still going about 40 miles an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Even still, it still should be calibrated to run like a normal car. Increase the regen when the brakes are applied.
                        when you step on the brakes it actually uses mechanical brakes to slow/stop the car -- that energy is not going back into the battery, it's lost to friction/heat. "coasting" cuts power to the electric motor but the momentum of the car continues to rotate the motor. When the electric motor is rotated by a force will act as a generator and the resistance will slow the vehicle down. The only way to 'coast' would be to continue to power the electric motor after you've taken your foot of the accelerator and slowly decrease the power or mechanically disconnect the electric motor from the wheels so they can spin freely. That would kill regenerative braking.
                        Last edited by BassAle; 09-06-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Going that fast really screws with your senses. I love a particular story about a driver that got the Veyron up to top speed. When he was about to put it in park and open the door to get out, he noticed he was still going about 40 miles an hour.
                          Not this past trip to Houghton, but last year, hit about 115 in my car, figured, ok, I'm approaching town (5 miles or so out) I'll slow down...ok, doing a little over the speed limit, 5-10 miles I think, look down, still doing 90. Oops. Can't imagine 200.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            when you step on the brakes it actually uses mechanical brakes to slow/stop the car -- that energy is not going back into the battery, it's lost to friction/heat. "coasting" cuts power to the electric motor but the momentum of the car continues to rotate the motor. When the electric motor is rotated by a force will act as a generator and the resistance will slow the vehicle down. The only way to 'coast' would be to continue to power the electric motor after you've taken your foot of the accelerator and slowly decrease the power or mechanically disconnect the electric motor from the wheels so they can spin freely. That would kill regenerative braking.
                            I do understand how cars slow down. What I'm saying that is should be done is when the brakes are applied, part of that braking force should be the generator pumping up the battery. That does apply a known load that can be compensated by the brake booster when that load goes down some.

Even for "coasting" which would replicate engine braking (remember most cars turn the fuel off these days), you should be generating electricity and putting into the battery. So replicating a normal car would be replicating engine braking, which is slowing the car down, which can generate power. Many modern cars specifically recharge the battery when coasting down.

This isn't hard, it just needs to be calibrated to do that.

Comment

If this ever happened, how fast would you disable it?

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-app-...voice-commands
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I need help with some electronic issues that I've never seen before in a vehicle.

I have a 2008 Subaru Tribeca. Had the right front headlight (low beam/normal) burn out. When this happened, my radio and HVAC control displays went dark. HVAC controls still worked correctly however. Radio did not turn on/work at all. Since I needed the headlight, I went and replaced it. Once the bulb was replaced, the radio and HVAC controls came back on.

The radio is now messed up however. Auxilary input and CDs function just fine. AM/FM radio is all sorts of jacked up however. AM frequencies show as 891, 883, 748 and other odd numbers (normally whole numbers like 780, 1000, 670, etc.). They also have a limited scanable amount (can't remember AM exactly. Like 730ish to 950ish). FM frequencies are limited from 78.0 to 89.0 and nothing is picked up there either.

Did a headlight going out fry my radio?
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X