Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Hyundai Genesis, one of the cars I was looking at, gets another award.

And Twitch, unless you go high-end (which the GT500 is), and per some other feedback, isn't true manual basically dead? It's all the paddles now and such (even my "official" automatic, I can switch to paddles, if I want).
    Was surprised not to see one here. Most of the other 'Murican cars with stupid amounts of torque (Corvette ZR1, Camaro ZL1, Hellcat) have them as an option. They can be easier to engineer to stand up to gobs of torque, plus 'Murican flappy paddles tend to upshift okay, but are clunky when downshifting.

And things are getting more than just friends between me and the Genesis' Kia-based sporty brother, the Stinger GT. Seeing a few lots with loaded 2018s left - hold out and see if I can knock a few grand off. (And - heh - only available in automatic.)
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 01-14-2019, 11:48 PM.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

And Twitch, unless you go high-end (which the GT500 is), and per some other feedback, isn't true manual basically dead? It's all the paddles now and such (even my "official" automatic, I can switch to paddles, if I want).
      I have a true manual (though it has some sort of weird anti-roll protection on hills for 3 seconds), but no flappy paddles for me. It was hard to get unless I settled for specific trim models, which was kind of a bummer.

Comment

For speed, automatics are much more efficient, and faster to shift than even the best drivers in the world. So, really the only reason for a manual in a sports car/muscle car, is for user preference/fun to drive. Which, definitely is a thing. Also, as was mentioned, there may be some cases where a manual handles massive torque better, but that is tenuous too. Automatic transmissions are being built better and better these days, and they can build them to handle monster torque.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

In five years it's going to be hard to find any production car with a manual. In ten years they'll be extinct except as some sort of vanity option offered by one or two limited production cars.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            In five years it's going to be hard to find any production car with a manual. In ten years they'll be extinct except as some sort of vanity option offered by one or two limited production cars.
            I haven't been to the U.K. in a while, but the last time I rented a car there they only had one automatic on the lot. Everything else was manual. I go the auto at my wife's request, and she ended up only driving once the whole week!

(woah, that was back in 2004!, so I guess it was a long time ago)

It seemed like they were really resisting the transition back then.

Comment

I rented in Ireland two years ago and in France this past December. Automatics were available but definitely at a premium - I want to say it was close to $10-$15 more per day for an auto. That adds up in a hurry over two weeks. One thing I liked about having a manual in Ireland is it kept me much more engaged while driving and since I was on the other side of the car and road this was important. Though it was weird to shift with my left hand.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Yeah I just looked at a car rental in northern Finland and there’s a huge premium on automatics

Comment

I don't recall that much of a premium when I rented in Scotland.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

SE Asia it's 95% (to be more precise Philippines, Thailand and Singapore) automatics although many models come with a clutchless manual.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I don't recall that much of a premium when I rented in Scotland.
                      there definitely was when I rented in England. When he described the auto, he said the car was "really big and expensive". It was not big by my standards (I think it was a Renault Scénic if I remember right)

Comment

First time my Subaru has been tested with snow and slippery conditions - passed with flying colors. It was kind of fun. I am sure my Nissan would not have gotten out of my neighborhood with unplowed streets (much less up the hill).

Comment

So it seems we're still on this thread after 4 years.

I've had my 2012 Ford Fusion for 7 years this July. Looking for something new (or new to me - lightly used would be fine). I'm not an SUV or truck guy, probably looking at another sedan. I don't think convertibles and/or RWD work well in my current climate.

Comment

Can I interest you in a Subaru?

#TheCult
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              So it seems we're still on this thread after 4 years.

I've had my 2012 Ford Fusion for 7 years this July. Looking for something new (or new to me - lightly used would be fine). I'm not an SUV or truck guy, probably looking at another sedan. I don't think convertibles and/or RWD work well in my current climate.
                              Shoot, I was going to suggest a Hyundai Genesis, they come pretty cheap for 2-3YO used...but RWD. However, definitely look at vehicles that are about 2 years off...you can find some awesome deals, and not worry about wear and tear.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Shoot, I was going to suggest a Hyundai Genesis, they come pretty cheap for 2-3YO used...but RWD. However, definitely look at vehicles that are about 2 years off...you can find some awesome deals, and not worry about wear and tear.
                                Also look at its Kia-based sporty brother the Stinger. Comes in V4 and V6 flavors - in your case the V4 would be more than adequate. Had my finger on the trigger for a GT (V6) myself until I took one last look at the new Miatas for funsies and saw a price I couldn't pass up.

Plus sport sedans in general are going out of vogue so hit a desperate dealer and you can score a deal.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X