Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    And Fox News coming in with the most current clickbait on a story that occurred in...2010, per the date on the ticket.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      And Fox News coming in with the most current clickbait on a story that occurred in...2010, per the date on the ticket.
      Border patrol embargoed news.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I have started thinking about a new car and I am absolutely dreading it. What was it, Saturn, that had the no-haggling policy? Why can't they all do that? I think I keep my cars for 120k miles just so I don't have to go through the buying process.

I have a 2009 Sentra. Thinking about Mazda 3, Nissan Altima, or maybe Subaru Impreza. Had Chevys most of my life, but got a Nissan last time because my hockey gear did not fit in the trunk of the Chevy that I liked. I've been happy with the Nissan, but have not heard good things about the newer Sentras.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          I have started thinking about a new car and I am absolutely dreading it. What was it, Saturn, that had the no-haggling policy? Why can't they all do that? I think I keep my cars for 120k miles just so I don't have to go through the buying process.

I have a 2009 Sentra. Thinking about Mazda 3, Nissan Altima, or maybe Subaru Impreza. Had Chevys most of my life, but got a Nissan last time because my hockey gear did not fit in the trunk of the Chevy that I liked. I've been happy with the Nissan, but have not heard good things about the newer Sentras.
          Some dealerships do no-haggling. The dealership I went to a year ago for my car basically had that. "We deal with maneuvering in the hundreds, maybe, definitely not the thousands." And they had good prices to begin with, so it made sense. From what I had found, my car price was already about 2K lower than normal market price for the vehicle, no matter the vehicle, on average.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post

Scion had the no-haggling. Large reason why my Dad initially got into them, and my family ended up having 4 over the course of 6 years (Dad x2, Mom and Sister, and I kept the first one my Dad owned).

There is a guy who offers a car buying service near me in Florida, where he does the haggling for a small fee. Pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Some dealerships do no-haggling. The dealership I went to a year ago for my car basically had that. "We deal with maneuvering in the hundreds, maybe, definitely not the thousands." And they had good prices to begin with, so it made sense. From what I had found, my car price was already about 2K lower than normal market price for the vehicle, no matter the vehicle, on average.
              Same. Bought the Civic from a no-haggle dealership. The cost was a few hundred over list price online. They were more than willing to help with anything I wanted prior to purchase - I drove 3 different models of Honda, they never called me (only communication via email since I work nights and sleep all day), let me take the model I was likely going to buy home for the weekend for a prolonged test drive.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                Same. Bought the Civic from a no-haggle dealership. The cost was a few hundred over list price online. They were more than willing to help with anything I wanted prior to purchase - I drove 3 different models of Honda, they never called me (only communication via email since I work nights and sleep all day), let me take the model I was likely going to buy home for the weekend for a prolonged test drive.
                This, too. The dealership I went to had a "Drive 200 miles, can return with no questions asked" policy. Dealership was about 40 miles away. Asked if I wanted a test drive, I declined, said I would just drive it home (good mix of highway/city roads) and if I didn't like it, I'd just drive back.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The haggling tactic I've heard:

Figure out exactly what you want, make, model, trim level, color, options, every detail.

Then call every dealership in the area that sells it. Inform them of all the details of the car you want. Tell them you're calling X other dealerships as well, and whoever can quote you the lowest price out the door by COB Friday gets the sale.

Most dealerships will play ball.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Figure out exactly what you want, make, model, trim level, color, options, every detail.

Then call every dealership in the area that sells it. Inform them of all the details of the car you want. Tell them you're calling X other dealerships as well, and whoever can quote you the lowest price out the door by COB Friday gets the sale.

I have a buddy who was a salesman at a no-haggle dealership selling Mazdas for a while. I was surprised when he told me how many cars he sold after straight-up telling people that they could probably get the same car cheaper somewhere else. He's a REALLY good salesman though. He sells Bentleys and Maseratis now. Sold a Ferrari to Boogaard. Still doesn't know how he fit.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

They'll still try to f-ck you during negotiations, though.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        They'll still try to f-ck you during negotiations, though.
                        Yeah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred--
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I offered $500 under the TrueCar price and they countered $200 higher than my offer. I was happy and accepted.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That's one way to do it.

I had a sort of graph that I drew up from websites that cross-referenced size of down payment, interest rate (and length of loan) vs total price of vehicle, which gave me various monthly payments. The salesperson saw that I had that info (not the actual numbers, just that I had a sheet) and realized that I was going to walk if I didn't like the numbers. She was not a hard-seller at all, mind you, but that gave her the impression that I came totally prepared and did my research. She didn't try to mess around with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              That's one way to do it.

I had a sort of graph that I drew up from websites that cross-referenced size of down payment, interest rate (and length of loan) vs total price of vehicle, which gave me various monthly payments. The salesperson saw that I had that info (not the actual numbers, just that I had a sheet) and realized that I was going to walk if I didn't like the numbers. She was not a hard-seller at all, mind you, but that gave her the impression that I came totally prepared and did my research. She didn't try to mess around with me.
                              This is the "four-square" worksheet car dealers use to rip you off and how to work around it:

https://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/d...ow-to-beat-it/
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This is the "four-square" worksheet car dealers use to rip you off and how to work around it:

https://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/d...ow-to-beat-it/
                                I had zero trade value, so that part was easy. Didn't let them know that; just said I was looking for a nice summer vehicle.
                                Total cost, mentioned that part earlier.
                                Let them know the numbers mattered with the loan. Simply put, if I didn't like them, I was walking. Had been scouting this model (various years) for a couple months, this was the leading one, so convince me to not look elsewhere.

Basically the only thing I was willing to change on the model I have was the color. If it wasn't yellow, it was going to be black or charcoal. Yes, I'm picky on color. They BRIEFLY mentioned the cherry red Camaro (that was also a slight upgrade in price) on the lot, and I immediately stopped that sorta talk. I was there to look at the yellow one, period.

Comment

Working...
                                X