Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Cars: 2015

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Was looking at the '19 Miata (which has/will have the older Skyactiv) and was curious about the 91 octane preference.
    I'd love a Miata. But it just ain't happening with a little one on the way and the both my wife and I having to work. Maybe someday I'll get a little roadster during the upcoming crisis.

Don't get the Fiata. I know it's tempting, but they go around the track at about the same time. Most will still drive these things around town, and the turbo lag in the Fiat is atrocious, or so I hear. The Fiata's suspension is great, though. I've watched a lot of video reviews where people put them head-to-head, and as I mentioned before the track times are almost identical. However, all of them felt like the Mazda HAD to be faster, before hearing their time. This is probably from a much more lively suspension that made them work a bit harder.

Another competent to this new skyactiv-x is that it does have an itty-bitty supercharger. You can really geek out about this motor setup online. It's fascinating.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 12-01-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Re: Cars: 2015

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    I'd love a Miata. But it just ain't happening with a little one on the way and the both my wife and I having to work. Maybe someday I'll get a little roadster during the upcoming crisis.

Don't get the Fiata. I know it's tempting, but they go around the track at about the same time. Most will still drive these things around town, and the turbo lag in the Fiat is atrocious, or so I hear. The Fiata's suspension is great, though. I've watched a lot of video reviews where people put them head-to-head, and as I mentioned before the track times are almost identical. However, all of them felt like the Mazda HAD to be faster, before hearing their time. This is probably from a much more lively suspension that made them work a bit harder.

Another competent to this new skyactiv-x is that it does have an itty-bitty supercharger. You can really geek out about this motor setup online. It's fascinating.
    There's a Fiata who hangs out at one of the local watering holes - love the styling, but decided to take a pass on the engine. The '19 Miata gets a reworked engine with a nice 25 HP bump up high.

It's pretty much between the '19 Miata and a Kia Stinger GT at this point. Thought about a Civic Type R, but saw the fake vents and just couldn't bring myself to accept it.

Would love an F-150 Raptor, but it wouldn't fit through my garage and a quick Google search shows me they're getting obscene markups in Denver.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    There's a Fiata who hangs out at one of the local watering holes - love the styling, but decided to take a pass on the engine. The '19 Miata gets a reworked engine with a nice 25 HP bump up high.

It's pretty much between the '19 Miata and a Kia Stinger GT at this point. Thought about a Civic Type R, but saw the fake vents and just couldn't bring myself to accept it.

Would love an F-150 Raptor, but it wouldn't fit through my garage and a quick Google search shows me they're getting obscene markups in Denver.
    The Raptor just isn't losing value. It's insane. A great investment as far as vehicles go.

Shelby GT500 to begin munching on crowds at Cars and Coffee in 2020 with ~700 HP.

Looks nice, but lack of a manual option is going to sting.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Hyundai Genesis, one of the cars I was looking at, gets another award.

And Twitch, unless you go high-end (which the GT500 is), and per some other feedback, isn't true manual basically dead? It's all the paddles now and such (even my "official" automatic, I can switch to paddles, if I want).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post

And Twitch, unless you go high-end (which the GT500 is), and per some other feedback, isn't true manual basically dead? It's all the paddles now and such (even my "official" automatic, I can switch to paddles, if I want).
    Was surprised not to see one here. Most of the other 'Murican cars with stupid amounts of torque (Corvette ZR1, Camaro ZL1, Hellcat) have them as an option. They can be easier to engineer to stand up to gobs of torque, plus 'Murican flappy paddles tend to upshift okay, but are clunky when downshifting.

And things are getting more than just friends between me and the Genesis' Kia-based sporty brother, the Stinger GT. Seeing a few lots with loaded 2018s left - hold out and see if I can knock a few grand off. (And - heh - only available in automatic.)
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 01-15-2019 at 12:48 AM.

I have a true manual (though it has some sort of weird anti-roll protection on hills for 3 seconds), but no flappy paddles for me. It was hard to get unless I settled for specific trim models, which was kind of a bummer.

For speed, automatics are much more efficient, and faster to shift than even the best drivers in the world. So, really the only reason for a manual in a sports car/muscle car, is for user preference/fun to drive. Which, definitely is a thing. Also, as was mentioned, there may be some cases where a manual handles massive torque better, but that is tenuous too. Automatic transmissions are being built better and better these days, and they can build them to handle monster torque.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

In five years it's going to be hard to find any production car with a manual. In ten years they'll be extinct except as some sort of vanity option offered by one or two limited production cars.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    In five years it's going to be hard to find any production car with a manual. In ten years they'll be extinct except as some sort of vanity option offered by one or two limited production cars.
    I haven't been to the U.K. in a while, but the last time I rented a car there they only had one automatic on the lot. Everything else was manual. I go the auto at my wife's request, and she ended up only driving once the whole week!

(woah, that was back in 2004!, so I guess it was a long time ago)

It seemed like they were really resisting the transition back then.

Very Un-Dude

I rented in Ireland two years ago and in France this past December. Automatics were available but definitely at a premium - I want to say it was close to $10-$15 more per day for an auto. That adds up in a hurry over two weeks. One thing I liked about having a manual in Ireland is it kept me much more engaged while driving and since I was on the other side of the car and road this was important. Though it was weird to shift with my left hand.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Yeah I just looked at a car rental in northern Finland and there’s a huge premium on automatics

Lucia Apologist

I don't recall that much of a premium when I rented in Scotland.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

SE Asia it's 95% (to be more precise Philippines, Thailand and Singapore) automatics although many models come with a clutchless manual.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I don't recall that much of a premium when I rented in Scotland.
    there definitely was when I rented in England. When he described the auto, he said the car was "really big and expensive". It was not big by my standards (I think it was a Renault Scénic if I remember right)

Veteran

First time my Subaru has been tested with snow and slippery conditions - passed with flying colors. It was kind of fun. I am sure my Nissan would not have gotten out of my neighborhood with unplowed streets (much less up the hill).

Thread Information