X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    The only reason to bring in guys who would play on UW Platteville's club team is HOPEFULLY UW get some talent down the road and these guys can just disappear from the roster. Equalize classes, all that kind of stuff.

I am not bashing UWP's club hockey team either, I went to UWP, but I think Chuck is spot on, these guys don't belong at a DI program.

Doesn't really help next season or in the development of the actual good players on the team. I wonder if JJ Watt has some time to help at a few practices.
    I'll be curious to see how many of these guys finish their careers at Wisconsin. I'm not sure it's going to be as easy as it used to be to have attrition take over to clear the unwanted players from your roster. Back in October the Big Ten became the first major conference to guarantee scholarships through the duration of an athlete's enrollment. It's rarely talked about publicly, but schools all over cut kids every year. Wisconsin has done it in the past. Now they won't be able to, at least with scholarship players.

While the guys we're talking about likely aren't on a major scholarship, I believe it's been talked about here from someone that knows the process better than I do, that even the walk-on type guys get a very small "book scholarship" so they can still eat the free meals, etc. I believe they have to receive some sort of aid to get the training table benefits. Could be wrong though.

Will be curious to see how that changes things going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      I'll be curious to see how many of these guys finish their careers at Wisconsin. I'm not sure it's going to be as easy as it used to be to have attrition take over to clear the unwanted players from your roster. Back in October the Big Ten became the first major conference to guarantee scholarships through the duration of an athlete's enrollment. It's rarely talked about publicly, but schools all over cut kids every year. Wisconsin has done it in the past. Now they won't be able to, at least with scholarship players.

While the guys we're talking about likely aren't on a major scholarship, I believe it's been talked about here from someone that knows the process better than I do, that even the walk-on type guys get a very small "book scholarship" so they can still eat the free meals, etc. I believe they have to receive some sort of aid to get the training table benefits. Could be wrong though.

Will be curious to see how that changes things going forward.
      I suspect that the player will be guaranteed what was promised in the NLI that they signed. If they don't sign a NLI, they were not promised any scholarship money and nothing would be given beyond the years they were on the team.

Comment

Brian Posick is reporting that Luke Opilka will not be playing for the Badgers.

https://***********/brian_posick/sta...47050964328448

This season keeps looking better and better.
        Last edited by gwhinwi; 07-01-2015, 03:52 PM.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

What a joke.

Things get worse and worse....
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I still have eligibility left if they want a 41 year old B level goaltender.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              Brian Posick is reporting that Luke Opilka will not be playing for the Badgers.

https://***********/brian_posick/sta...47050964328448

This season keeps looking better and better.
              Is this the kid who almost backed out of his commitment earlier? Chuck had alluded to a kid who almost backed out around the time boeser backed out
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Chuck has confirmed the oPILLka is a goner.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

On the bright side Eaves will be fired after this year. Maybe Alvarez too #BringBackPatRichter

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                    On the bright side Eaves will be fired after this year. Maybe Alvarez too #BringBackPatRichter
                    Jason King just can't sit there and ignore all the top guys who have de-committed, but on the other hand, he and BA will give the 2 assistants and MM at least 2 years. This may have torpedo'ed any chances of a double digit win year.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post

No... he won't ever be fired.

He'll leave on his terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Jason King just can't sit there and ignore all the top guys who have de-committed, but on the other hand, he and BA will give the 2 assistants and MM at least 2 years. This may have torpedo'ed any chances of a double digit win year.
                        The athletic department can ignore A LOT of emails, what they can't ignore is people not buying tickets and not going to games.

The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. Both love and hate show a strong emotional bond, once that bond is broken it is very hard to repair.

I don't think that the power that be understand the depths at which apathy has struck the UW hockey fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          The athletic department can ignore A LOT of emails, what they can't ignore is people not buying tickets and not going to games.

The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. Both love and hate show a strong emotional bond, once that bond is broken it is very hard to repair.

I don't think that the power that be understand the depths at which apathy has struck the UW hockey fanbase.
                          I literally just read an article about how Barry brought the football program back from a level of apathy that is exactly where the hockey program is headed. He may not be a good AD, but he should know what it takes to turn a program back in the right direction. However, that would require caring about said program in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post

Look at me. I was once a rabid and combative fan with tix to both nights.

I went to one game last year and regretted wasting the hundo.

I may go to a game this year, but that will only be for my youngest son who always asks to go as Badger hockey games are his favorite event to attend.

Beyond that, I doubt I'll even watch or listen to too many games. Apathy is firmly rooted and there are thousands of others just like me.

It's not that they're losing, it's that they (the powers that be) are incapable of even recognizing a problem, let alone know what to do about it - Just like the Blackhawks of 1998 - 2006.

If you're not even trying to be successful, why would I waste my time and emotion on you?
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
                              I literally just read an article about how Barry brought the football program back from a level of apathy that is exactly where the hockey program is headed. He may not be a good AD, but he should know what it takes to turn a program back in the right direction. However, that would require caring about said program in the first place.
                              Football (and Basketball for that matter) have the significant advantage of massive media coverage that helps keep the program in the public's view as things improve, that isn't going to happen with the hockey program going forward.

Given another single win season, they may as well just have the men play at LaBaan, because that's about as far as the fan base will have eroded to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post

Exactly. Fwiw I emailed JK but I have no illusion he'll actually read it much less respond
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X