X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    I don't think the authorities in Italy are saying that for the boat captain who ran his cruise liner into the shore killing several people...."hey just get out there and captain another boat to see if you aren't a **** up anymore...."

While Eaves hasn't killed anyone (that we know of), other than the program, he is still the same captain in charge of the same ship.

At this point, the ship has to turn around (to some degree) because getting 4 wins again would be nearly impossible unless the team employed no goalie the entire season. This strategy would surprise me, because Eaves is incredibly reluctant to pull the goalie when down anyway until there is only one or two chances left in the game to tie. I would say I'm glad he plays it safe, if that was a successful mantra which didn't lead to immense fan disappointment, too many seasons on the wrong side of the PWR bubble, and snagging defeat from the jaws of victory when up by 2 or 3 goals w/ regularity.
    Calm down, I'm saying that Wisconsin has to play (and win) some games before much of this recruiting disappointment is going to change. Top recruits don't want to go to a 4 win school. In order to get future top recruits we have to win AT LEAST 15-20 games next year. That would be said REGARDLESS of if Eaves was the coach or not. Should he have been fired? Yes. But he wasn't and bashing him now that he has a staff hired is pointless. Quit *****ing about him. I'm sick of it.

Complaining about when he pulls the goalie? Really?
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I'd say they've got to win quite a few recruiting battles for elite talent and then do that year over year to be successful again, and I define success as 22-26 wins annually, ncaa's 80% of the time and making FF's 50% of the time that they get in the tourney. Winning ncaa titles: 1 every 6-7 years. Standards lower than that are not UW hockey standards imo
    I agree with most of this but in order to get those top recruits you have to have winning seasons. This past year was disgraceful and probably why he's not winning many recruiting battles. See above.
    Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    I guarantee you there are some absolute rock heads on the football team.
    No doubt since we've got Barry. Also didn't Andersen leave because he couldn't get the players he wanted due to academics?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      It is very hard to be a Badger, which is part of why it's also an honor. I like it that way.
      It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know we have the smartest 4-26 team in the country. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Absolutely
        Maybe you guys are correct, I don't know for sure. I do know that Badger Football ranks #1 in all of FBS in 4 year Academic Progress Rate (998). Just ahead of Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by oldicecoach View Post
          It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know we have the smartest 4-26 team in the country. Not.
          Not the smartest 4 win team, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Maybe you guys are correct, I don't know for sure. I do know that Badger Football ranks #1 in all of FBS in 4 year Academic Progress Rate (998). Just ahead of Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern.
            google (this time) is your friend. check out any of badger football player arrested for: stealing, battery, and on and on. Yeah sure, some of the robbers (Nick Davis maybe? nah, he was a dolt and 1/2) are MENSA candidates, but surely not this entire list of winners
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Oh there are. Even here, where we just had a coach quit in part because of our relative lack of bending academic standards.

The idea that college athletics in any way represents the university is one of the biggest lies of the NCAA.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                Calm down, I'm saying that Wisconsin has to play (and win) some games before much of this recruiting disappointment is going to change. Top recruits don't want to go to a 4 win school. In order to get future top recruits we have to win AT LEAST 15-20 games next year. That would be said REGARDLESS of if Eaves was the coach or not. Should he have been fired? Yes. But he wasn't and bashing him now that he has a staff hired is pointless. Quit *****ing about him. I'm sick of it.
                Quit bashing him? Why? Instead of taking responsibility for the crappy assistants he hired and the poor talent on the team he fired his assistants when given the ulitimaturm by Barry. He took the easy way out. Just because he now has assistant coaches, we are supposed to be happy we have him as a our head coach?
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Not the smartest 4 win team, though.
                  You got me on that one, didn't mean to slight Princeton with their 4 wins and higher SAT scores.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    Quit bashing him? Why? Instead of taking responsibility for the crappy assistants he hired and the poor talent on the team he fired his assistants when given the ulitimaturm by Barry. He took the easy way out. Just because he now has assistant coaches, we are supposed to be happy we have him as a our head coach?
                    No, but it'd be quite appreciated if you'd take your negativity to the athletic department where it would actually be useful, not on some message board. It's ****ing annoying reading the constant whining amongst posters on here. Get a grip or use the energy somewhere where it'd be effective.

Comment

No, but it'd be quite appreciated if you'd take your negativity to the athletic department where it would actually be useful, not on some message board. It's ****ing annoying reading the constant whining amongst posters on here. Get a grip or use the energy somewhere where it'd be effective.
                      Ditto
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

But your whining about my whining is totally justified because you feel a certain way that is different from me? Noted.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Maybe we could just talk about recruiting in this thread eh? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            Jack Becker, any good and what year would he be coming in?
                            WISCONSIN BADGERS
                            NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                            B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                            Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                              But your whining about my whining is totally justified because you feel a certain way that is different from me? Noted.
                              It's not whining, it's making a suggestion.
                              Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                              Ditto
                              I wish I could say something to the athletic department. I've got a lot to say but I don't have much a way of communicating it. I don't have season tickets (I did from 06-08). I went to two games this past year. You think they are gonna listen to some college student who doesn't even attend Madison?
                              Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              Sorry Chuck, I just get sick of the complaining and negativity around here. Badger Bob would be so disappointed not only at the state of the program but also in the fans attitudes. Hockey is supposed to be about fun but people put so much emphasis on the little things nowadays. I'd love to see either a 2-1 nail-biter or a 6-5 goal scoring fiasco with a packed house. After we won the championship in 06 the crowds that came to the games were incredible. If they felt the Badgers got screwed they'd make sure the refs **** well knew it. Nowadays it's all about pointing fingers and threatening to not renew season tickets. Just one year ago we came off one of Eaves' best teams record-wise and people still couldn't buy into it. The Kohl Center had what, 10,000 fans (2/3 full) for a Friday night showdown with two top teams in Wisconsin and Minnesota? That's disgraceful from a fan perspective. Maybe people just aren't interested in hockey any more. It's a shame cause if I could I'd go to every freaking game this next season I would, not because it's just about winning but because I love hockey and the Badgers and I'm not some bandwagon fan who will bail like Hawks fans pre Kane and Toews because they aren't winning. No, I'm not saying any of you guys are bandwagon fans specifically. Just something that annoys me about our fanbase.

/rant

So what are the forward lines looking like for next year with the new puppies?

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                                Jack Becker, any good and what year would he be coming in?
                                Starting with the year thing first...I have no idea. It's hard to decipher the plan at this point. By sheer numbers he'd be pushed out until 2018 which means if he skips his senior season to play in the USHL he could potentially be a 3-year guy in junior hockey. While that's not unheard of, it's somewhat rare.

I guess they could bring him in for 2016 but that would require him to 100% play in the USHL this season. Based on my observations he's at best a 20-point, third-line guy for Sioux Falls next year. He has some projectable traits but was very mediocre in the Elite League against Minnesota's best high schoolers last season. While he had big numbers in single A hockey, including a hat trick at the state tournament, that means nothing if you can't stand out during Elite League competition (IMO). Probably not a guy you want to bring in for 2016 if you don't have to.

When it gets to 2017 Zimmer, Mersch and Olischefski almost have to come in. Cruikshank could also be pushing on that door depending on his transition to the USHL.

I think Becker a depth guy and I'm not sure where he slots in. I have a million concerns with the group of forwards Wisconsin has lined up right now. On their own, you could make a case for any of them being recruited by Wisconsin. As a group, an EXTREMELY underwhelming lot of forwards for the future. A bunch of guys that are pretty good. Zero game changers. Zero Turris'. Zero Kerdiles'.

It's probably going to be a long few years boys and girls.
                                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X