Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A call for Rutgers hockey

A call for Rutgers hockey

The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey.

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-athletics-make-ncaa-ice-hockey-a-reality-at-rutgers-university

It's a call for attention but no actual info regarding financial or institutional support. Still nice to see the effort though.

Generic Catchy Message

Re: A call for Rutgers hockey

Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?
    Yes, but they lead the nation in irrational ambition

As someone who grew up in Central NJ and had a lot of friends who went to Rutgers, it'd be a great place for college hockey to build a greater presence.

That said, Rutgers' AD is a toxic leader, the athletic finances are a total mess, and there is no arena suitable for Division I hockey in New Brunswick or anywhere else nearby. They'd need a Pegula-esque gift for it to happen.

Also notable is that the "petition" is being put together by the club team's assistant coach - who'd likely be quickly shown the door, along with all of the other staff, if they ever did start a Division I program.
    St. Lawrence '02

Some good articles summarizing the attempted grass roots movement. Obviously a fan desire won't do it alone. These days it takes rich donors with money to burn. But what makes a donor do it? Can a grass roots movement attract a donor? Having passionate fans is a key to ongoing success which is at least something a donor would have to consider...

So waste of time or good ideas to hopefully increase the odds of donations? If you were implementing a grass roots campaign what steps would you take?

I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

https://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...ockey-program/

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...carlet-knights

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by slowe View Post
    The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey.
    Is that Bi6 conference really that desperate to add another team? On a list of schools likely to create a new D-I hockey program in the near future, I don't think they are even in the top 100.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Veteran

Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.

Generic Catchy Message

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.
    Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Veteran
    Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.
    150+ years of rowing. The first organized sport at the university. Medals at several collegiate championship regattas over the years, and a long list of Olympian alumni.

So excellence in the relative sense anyway.

Reduced to club status in 2007.
    Last edited by ericredaxe; 06-04-2015 at 10:44 PM.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

A billboard of the size required to be effective on a high speed highway in South Bend might coast as much as $5000 for 30 days, depending on the attractiveness of the location for the advertising. In Chicago the cost would be significantly higher for a similar reach. I spent years in the industry.

Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.

Here's an interview with one of the people spearheading the movement, Adriaan Klaasen, assistant coach for their ACHA D1 team. He sounds more hopeful than naive. The tone is it's an uphill task but it has to start somewhere. Obviously still long odds but you gotta give the guy credit for the effort.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2015/6/7/8...at-hockey-team

Quote Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
    In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.
    huh?

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
    Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.
    Better idea. Kick out Rutgers, get Syracuse, Syracuse starts a team.

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

UConn already has a conference.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Say what you will about the likelihood of the club team promoting itself to become D1, but these guys are getting the word out. The devils tweeted support and I saw a link to a news article from the (unofficial) Big Ten Hockey Facebook page

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...l#incart_river

So there's at least one donor interested. Not sure how much money he'd put up. The point is I've seen the story pop up in a few places. Not a groundswell yet but all attention is good attention.

Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist

Say what you will about the likelihood of the club team promoting itself to become D1, but these guys are getting the word out. The devils tweeted support and I saw a link to a news article from the (unofficial) Big Ten Hockey Facebook page

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...l#incart_river

So there's at least one donor interested. Not sure how much money he'd put up. The point is I've seen the story pop up in a few places. Not a groundswell yet but all attention is good attention.
    Got the attention of The Hockey News too: https://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ru...ollege-hockey/
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

What is it with sparty that they want Rutgers kicked-out of the B1G TEN? Every single sparty that I know who has mentioned Rutgers wants them out of the conference. Why? And you only want Syracause because of bouncy-ball....
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    UConn already has a conference.

Sean
    Not only that, but word on the street is that they will be a top four team in HEA for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Not only that, but word on the street is that they will be a top four team in HEA for the foreseeable future.
    Really...I thought Chuck said UCONN will be a perennial cellar dweller with UMASS Amherst! If you want to respond check out the 2015-2016 UCONN thread...nobody but UNH fans go to the 2014-2015 thread.

Thread Information