Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BGSU Offseason Thread

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    He arrived just after I graduated, but I remember him from a couple games I saw post-graduation. Sad news.
    best quote:
    Once teammate once said Parks “would cross check his mother if it meant winning a game.”

saw him play once in 1986.
    but mostly I remember that game for taking my wife to see her first hockey game, and she didn't speak English at the time. when I was trying to explain the rules to her in Chinese, the woman behind me snarked, "you'd think they'd teach 'em English before they came here." yeah, I was born in Kansas, sweetheart.
    Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Bryce Williamson played for him when he coached the St. Albert Steel. Rumor has it that Parksy tried several times to get Paluch to come out and watch him play, but Paluch wouldn't do it. When Paluch was let go, Willy went out and was able to pick him up as a recruit. Worked out pretty well for us as Bryce became an integral part of our rebuilding process.
      Last edited by BGFan; 06-17-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

another good obit.

Former New York Islanders Player Greg Parks Passes Away
        http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...ayer-greg.html

Comment

Seen a number of sites that have 2016 goaltender Ryan Bednard going in the mid rounds of this weekends draft. This site has him going in the 4th round to the Preds.
          http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/ryan-bednard/22862/

Have not seen anything about any of the 2015 guys or last years freshmen being drafted.......but at least we should have two NHL draft picks on the 2016 squad, assuming Friedman stays for at least 3 years anyway.

I remember watching the team in the mid 80's when we had 10-12 drafted guys on the team.....87-88 time frame. Those were the days.......

Comment

Final stop of this year's Falcon Coaches Caravan on Wed., 6/24 at The Distillery, 4311 Heatherdowns Blvd. in Toledo. 5:30-7:30 pm.
            Scheduled to appear:

Chris Kingston, Director of Athletics
            Dino Babers, Football Head Coach
            Chris Bergeron, Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach
            Michael Huger '94, Men's Basketball Head Coach
            Jennifer Roos, Women's Basketball Head Coach
            Eric Nichols, Men's Soccer Head Coach
            Lou Snelling, Cross Country/Track & Field Head Coach
            Kerrie Turner, Women's Gymnastics Head Coach
            Stephanie Young, Women's Golf Head Coach
            Kevin Farrell, Men's Golf Head Coach
            Danny Schmitz, Baseball Head Coach
            Lindsay Basalyga, Women's Soccer Head Coach

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
              Final stop of this year's Falcon Coaches Caravan on Wed., 6/24 at The Distillery, 4311 Heatherdowns Blvd. in Toledo. 5:30-7:30 pm.
              Scheduled to appear:

Chris Kingston, Director of Athletics
              Dino Babers, Football Head Coach
              Chris Bergeron, Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach
              Michael Huger '94, Men's Basketball Head Coach
              Jennifer Roos, Women's Basketball Head Coach
              Eric Nichols, Men's Soccer Head Coach
              Lou Snelling, Cross Country/Track & Field Head Coach
              Kerrie Turner, Women's Gymnastics Head Coach
              Stephanie Young, Women's Golf Head Coach
              Kevin Farrell, Men's Golf Head Coach
              Danny Schmitz, Baseball Head Coach
              Lindsay Basalyga, Women's Soccer Head Coach
              If you can make it, I highly recommend attending. While Toledo is a much, MUCH better hockey town than Columbus (go Goaldiggers!) and stupidly close to BG, you will still get significant time with Bergeron and he's looking for conversation. I'm also curious about attendance at the Toledo event -- the Columbus event wasn't exactly SRO. Kingston has to do a better job of advertising this thing for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                Seen a number of sites that have 2016 goaltender Ryan Bednard going in the mid rounds of this weekends draft. This site has him going in the 4th round to the Preds.
                http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/ryan-bednard/22862/

Have not seen anything about any of the 2015 guys or last years freshmen being drafted.......but at least we should have two NHL draft picks on the 2016 squad, assuming Friedman stays for at least 3 years anyway.

I remember watching the team in the mid 80's when we had 10-12 drafted guys on the team.....87-88 time frame. Those were the days.......
                Red Line Report's NHL Draft Class
                http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...omek/29011785/

"While there's very little consensus after those six, we'll take Ryan Bednard to start off our final grouping. He suffered from a lack of exposure at a small outpost and is a real projection, but we love his raw tools and his terrific size combined with quick feet give him a good base. Bednard has a very strong work ethic that makes us believe he'll develop well over the next few years. He angles shots off to the corners very well with both the stick and blocker. We do wish he'd learn to play a bit quieter in net as he tends to get too busy."

Comment

I'm sure that this only has meaning for the old heads, but one of Doug Ross's sons died last week. This is going to hit the UAH community pretty hard.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I'm sure that this only has meaning for the old heads, but one of Doug Ross's sons died last week. This is going to hit the UAH community pretty hard.

GFM

These things come in 3's. Spent many a night in Mark's listening to the '84 team swap stories.

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/06/lo...ark-pape-dies/

Comment

What happened to Marks?? Is it SBX that expanded into?

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                        What happened to Marks?? Is it SBX that expanded into?
                        Mark's has been gone for a loooong time. He sold it back in the early 90's. SBX expanded into that building quite a while back.

Comment

hope you're right about Baylis.

not sure how up-to-date Heisenberg's info is...he doesn't have Musser listed, and he's signed an NLI.
                          FYI, the issue with Baylis had nothing to do with credit hour issues. He will miss the first 6 games of the season due to having played in 3 post season major junior games. He will be a fun one to watch!

Comment

Thanks for clarification on Baylis......that's better news than I had hoped to hear

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                              FYI, the issue with Baylis had nothing to do with credit hour issues. He will miss the first 6 games of the season due to having played in 3 post season major junior games. He will be a fun one to watch!
                              thanks, we'll take that.
                              so he's taking the hit because the Carleton Place Canadians played in the Fred Page Cup and the Royal Bank Cup? not much the player or BGSU can do about that.

Comment

thanks, we'll take that.
                                so he's taking the hit because the Carleton Place Canadians played in the Fred Page Cup and the Royal Bank Cup? not much the player or BGSU can do about that.
                                The Fred Page Cup and RBC are Junior A tournaments. Nothing wrong with that. Baylis must have played in a couple games in the QMJHL or OHL. That can (and normally does) disqualify you from playing NCAA hockey, although I've heard that it's possible to appeal that and sometimes win the appeal if a kid hasn't played more than a couple of games of Major Junior hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X