Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031

Thread: 2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    What do you guys make of the reports that the Brewers lost money last year?
    hard to take a team at its word given that the books arent public. Easy excuse to not compete.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Re: 2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    hard to take a team at its word given that the books arent public. Easy excuse to not compete.
    I agree. It seems to me that wealthy owners don't mind being in the red from a tax perspective. I highly doubt they didn't come out ahead personally even if the team lost money. It seems like an excuse to not invest as much in the team.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

I agree. It seems to me that wealthy owners don't mind being in the red from a tax perspective. I highly doubt they didn't come out ahead personally even if the team lost money. It seems like an excuse to not invest as much in the team.
    Don't forget the Blackhawks cried poor during the height of their popularity during their three cup run. I believe it was '10 or '13 that they cried the loudest saying they were deep in the red even after winning the cup. It's all a tax avoidance game.

And there was this article from 2018 where the Brewers were +$66 Million. So, last year was likely a write off year.

Also, wasn't there a big modernization push of the ballpark in the last year or so (or was that a few years ago and I'm remembering it wrong)? Those costs could have finally hit the books.
    Last edited by aparch; 12-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.

This was always the argument I had when people defended the owners in the NHL lockout, theyíre obviously pushing a narrative that every team is losing money but the books arenít public and itís easy to do the books in a way that shows your org losing money when itís convenient to do so. Especially if itís advantageous for tax purposes or pushing a narrative to gain sympathy so you can make even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    This was always the argument I had when people defended the owners in the NHL lockout, theyíre obviously pushing a narrative that every team is losing money but the books arenít public and itís easy to do the books in a way that shows your org losing money when itís convenient to do so. Especially if itís advantageous for tax purposes or pushing a narrative to gain sympathy so you can make even more money.
    yup, its the same reason that college sports always run at or above their budget amount...if you don't spend it you lose it. If the Brewers invested a ton in buying that one minor league team and with their facilities at maryvale, of course they'll be in the red this year, depending on how they handle those costs. But its not like the Milwaukee operation isn't doing just fine with a $125 mil payroll. No one is claiming that the Brewers should be up in the 200 mil range with the top 5 spenders but unless there is a very good reason, it seems like the floor should be $120 mil.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Veteran

well thank goodness the Brewers finally signed... an outfielder? wait, what?

Avisail Garcia 2/$20 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    well thank goodness the Brewers finally signed... an outfielder? wait, what?

Avisail Garcia 2/$20 mil.
    Maybe he's got a mean curve ball?

Braun to 1st

6 weeks til P and C report...No good free agents left...running outta patience

Stearns "comfortable with the grouping we have right now" 10 games below .500 at best this year.

ďDemolish the bridges behind youÖ then there is no choice but to build again.Ē

Live Radio from 100.3

Thread Information