Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An 'Honest" Conversation About Race? Just Give Me My Coffee!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So the 1619 Project is getting coverage today.

I saw the article from it about the Atlanta Interstate System (moreso any major city interstate system), and it answered some questions I had about Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway after seeing the atlas pages the city uses still shows the original grid system and the only notes that show the expressway going through are the wiring diagrams for the street lighting. It's a trend I have read about recently from Atlanta, to Detroit, to Syracuse. All the same: in an effort to "wipe out the 'blight,'" it was decided to put expressways through these neighborhoods helping accelerate white flight.

I really need to read more of these 1619 Project pieces, as the oft overlooked bits of history they highlight are interesting to me.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Ended with Obama getting elected.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        DeeDee has always been a POS. He just likes to remind us from time to time to keep his Q Score up.
        Does he also realize that he’s “one of them”?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

I saw the article from it about the Atlanta Interstate System (moreso any major city interstate system), and it answered some questions I had about Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway after seeing the atlas pages the city uses still shows the original grid system and the only notes that show the expressway going through are the wiring diagrams for the street lighting. It's a trend I have read about recently from Atlanta, to Detroit, to Syracuse. All the same: in an effort to "wipe out the 'blight,'" it was decided to put expressways through these neighborhoods helping accelerate white flight.

I really need to read more of these 1619 Project pieces, as the oft overlooked bits of history they highlight are interesting to me.
          I think Kevin kruse wrote that article.

God he’s good. I need to read that article. It’s gotten some good praise.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think Kevin kruse wrote that article.

God he’s good. I need to read that article. It’s gotten some good praise.
            He did, and he's a goddammed National Treasure for his writing.

How Segregation Caused Your Traffic Jam - 1619 / NYT

Related (from other sources):
            Sheridan Expressway in NYC
            I-81 Viaduct in Syracuse
            I-375 in Detroit
            Congress Expressway Displacements in Chicago
            Dan Ryan Displacements in Chicago
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

While I've not read any of those - the Rondo neighborhood in St. Paul and the construction of I-94. Where's that predominantly black neighborhood in this city? Let's put the freeway right through that; land is cheapest there, anyway.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                While I've not read any of those - the Rondo neighborhood in St. Paul and the construction of I-94. Where's that predominantly black neighborhood in this city? Let's put the freeway right through that; land is cheapest there, anyway.
                SOmeone recently shared the map of Twin Cities mortgage covenants that expressly forbade selling the property to a POC. It was horrific and eye-opening.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  If you are a government agency and you need to construct miles of highway through a city, cost is absolutely going to be a factor, regardless of the color of the skin of the people who live there.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    If you are a government agency and you need to construct miles of highway through a city, cost is absolutely going to be a factor, regardless of the color of the skin of the people who live there.
                    The cost was just one factor. There are books on the Rondo neighborhood and why it was chosen to become a highway. And, in truth, there were some cheaper options available, but they didn't want to gentrify the areas to the south of the highway - Rondo did go all the way down to Marshall Ave, because the folks on Summit were getting worried. The homes that were plowed under to the north (northern boundary being University Ave.), was largely condemned and in went a lot of shopping centers between University and the newly created I-94.

When you walk through some parts of St. Paul, you can find plaques regarding the history of that old neighborhood, extolling some virtuous public servants who were out of the norm for the time, or giving people a sense of why Rondo is gone even though only about 25 of it became a freeway.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So apparently Bloomberg said Booker was "well-spoken" and Booker took offense to this. I get why it can be a dicey thing to say in a lot of circumstances but I also assume it depended on the context.

Since I'm also probably ignorant on this, can you never say a POC is well-spoken? Is it because using that phrase presumes people of color don't speak well by default?

Again, I'll let my probable ignorance hang out for everyone to see, the reason I'm confused is because I don't think the average person of any race speaks that well.
                      Code:

Comment

can you never say a POC is well-spoken?
                        Yup. It's a code word, "well spoken for a blackie." Just don't say it. There's no way to not sound somehow bigoted. Either you're being patronizing or you're reserving the right to evaluate them, and either way... woof.

This has been, "Whites Whitesplain Whitesplaining to Whites." Had this been a multi-racial conversation it would not have taken place on the Cafe.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So apparently Bloomberg said Booker was "well-spoken" and Booker took offense to this. I get why it can be a dicey thing to say in a lot of circumstances but I also assume it depended on the context.

Since I'm also probably ignorant on this, can you never say a POC is well-spoken? Is it because using that phrase presumes people of color don't speak well by default?

Again, I'll let my probable ignorance hang out for everyone to see, the reason I'm confused is because I don't think the average person of any race speaks that well.
                          Do you not remember the Chris Rock bit?

Whenever Colin Powell is on the news, white people give him the same compliments: 'How do you feel about Colin Powell?', 'He speaks so well! He's so well spoken. I mean he really speaks so well!' Like that's a compliment. 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about ******** people that can talk. What do you mean he speaks so well? He's a ****ing educated man! How the **** did you expect him to sound, you dirty mother****er? 'He speaks so well.' What are you talking about? What voice were you expecting to come out of his mouth? 'Imma drop me a bomb today', 'I be Pwez o dent!'.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Yup. It's a code word, "well spoken for a blackie." Just don't say it. There's no way to not sound somehow bigoted. Either you're being patronizing or you're reserving the right to evaluate them, and either way... woof.

This has been, "Whites Whitesplain Whitesplaining to Whites." Had this been a multi-racial conversation it would not have taken place on the Cafe.
                            So, what's the best way to complement Booker on his intelligence? Is there a way? Or is that just a minefield as well?
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              Do you not remember the Chris Rock bit?
                              Now that you mention it, yes.
                              Code:

Comment

So, what's the best way to complement Booker on his intelligence? Is there a way? Or is that just a minefield as well?
                                Just. Don't.

It's like saying a woman is "very logical."

Dr. Mrs. once knew a newly minted faculty member who had his PhD hanging on the wall in his office. The chair of the department came in, glanced at it, and said, "well, I assumed."

Assume a black man running for president speaks well. Assume a woman running for president is logical. Don't look at the Irish candidate and say, "he's so sober!"
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X