Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Our thread reached 1000 and automatically closed to new posts. This is a continuation of the very fine thread started by Wholin1 back on 10-16-2014. I cannot locate Wholin1 to restart with a new thread so kick started with the same name.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Blocked 26 shots ...... taking a page out of Q's play book
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-15-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Defense
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  6. #6
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,633

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    GL Union tonight !!!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Peca "We know how to beat this team.”
    https://www.nhregister.com/sports/201...ith-quinnipiac

    "Pontarelli’s winner came on a rush into the Bobcat zone, as he snuck behind a defenseman and waited unmarked before being found by Cruice".
    I guess we won because we are sneaky ******** ....

    “You want to end someone’s season, you’ve got to be better than that,” Pecknold said. “ ..... we were immature in how we dealt with our preparation in terms of trying to end someone’s season ....... we’ll be ready to go.”
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Union lines:




    No changes for Quinnipiac.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    257

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    First of all, congrats to QU. They scored when it mattered and held us off in the third !
    The face-offs losses killed us in this game. When we got a face off in their zone, we lost the draw. Their guys (Peca especially) were great at it.
    I wish we had played like this all season. Now we have to wait. I hope an ECAC team makes the frozen four.
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    5,731

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Well, that went as far as it can go. Thought you would be our Friday opponent! Great run by you guys!! Three ECAC titles and an NCAA crown is really incredible! Congrats to your seniors and everyone that has turned "U" into such a great program! Congrats a great run!

  11. #11
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,633

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Yes....amen to all, what a run !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    I just want to say this was a hell of a series that I knew would be tough. It's tough to KO the defending national champion. Union isn't going anywhere and will be a factor again next year.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Thank you Seniors:

    Charlie Vasaturo D
    Mark Bennett F
    Sam Coatta F
    Daniel Ciampini F - tied school season scoring record.
    Max Novak F - set season GWG record last year
    Colin Stevens G - All American
    Dillion Pieri G

    For all you have done for the program - you have made us all very proud !!!!
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-15-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    119

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by UFan View Post
    First of all, congrats to QU. They scored when it mattered and held us off in the third !
    The face-offs losses killed us in this game. When we got a face off in their zone, we lost the draw. Their guys (Peca especially) were great at it.
    I wish we had played like this all season. Now we have to wait. I hope an ECAC team makes the frozen four.
    Can we stop with this myth? Faceoffs can be important individually, but taken as a whole statistic, even over the course of one game, are largely meaningless.

    We were much better at faceoffs this year than last, yet we were a much worse team. We controlled play for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods today, and out-chanced Q by a good bit. We outshot them 38 TO 25! We lost because we couldn't finish, not because we didn't have the puck enough (not that faceoffs really drive possession in any meaningful way anyway). Eli lost almost every faceoff he took, but what hurt us is that Eli can't do anything else when he loses a faceoff. It's what you do after a faceoff that matters, and unfortunately, he can't do anything. Roy was 4-for-7 on faceoffs, but so what? Is he helping our team by winning that extra faceoff? Novak was horrible in the dot today, but do you point to him or Roy as a hinderance to the success of this team?

    I think we probably should have won this game, and if we had two centers that didn't render our bottom 6 almost useless, we might have. Oh well.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    257

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
    Can we stop with this myth? Faceoffs can be important individually, but taken as a whole statistic, even over the course of one game, are largely meaningless.

    We were much better at faceoffs this year than last, yet we were a much worse team. We controlled play for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods today, and out-chanced Q by a good bit. We outshot them 38 TO 25!
    In my view, when you play dump and chase all game, and you loose the chase pretty much very time, getting an offensive side faceoff win is a plus. We got an handful, if that. Neutral zone faceoffs, not so important. Defensive zone faceoff wins are a plus on the kill. We won a few, but that's it. Good thing we didn't take that many penalties. And outshooting a team means nothing, it's also a meaningless stat. I'd rather have 5 shots on goal and 5 goals, than 38 on goal and one goal. Just like faceoffs, it's number that tells you nothing about the quality, I think we can agree on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
    We lost because we couldn't finish, not because we didn't have the puck enough (not that faceoffs really drive possession in any meaningful way anyway). Eli lost almost every faceoff he took, but what hurt us is that Eli can't do anything else when he loses a faceoff. It's what you do after a faceoff that matters, and unfortunately, he can't do anything. Roy was 4-for-7 on faceoffs, but so what? Is he helping our team by winning that extra faceoff? Novak was horrible in the dot today, but do you point to him or Roy as a hinderance to the success of this team?

    I think we probably should have won this game, and if we had two centers that didn't render our bottom 6 almost useless, we might have. Oh well.
    ^this
    Oh well, we'll be better next year
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

  16. #16
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,861

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Congrats Union! You played a hard fought and clean series. It was a battle for sure. You were admirable national champions and represented the ECAC well. There is nothing at all to be ashamed of.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2019 Midwest Regional

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    119

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by UFan View Post
    In my view, when you play dump and chase all game, and you loose the chase pretty much very time, getting an offensive side faceoff win is a plus. We got an handful, if that. Neutral zone faceoffs, not so important. Defensive zone faceoff wins are a plus on the kill. We won a few, but that's it. Good thing we didn't take that many penalties. And outshooting a team means nothing, it's also a meaningless stat. I'd rather have 5 shots on goal and 5 goals, than 38 on goal and one goal. Just like faceoffs, it's number that tells you nothing about the quality, I think we can agree on that.


    ^this
    Oh well, we'll be better next year
    Yea, it's tough to be chasing the puck all the time when you can't get it back. In that regard, those guys losing draws hurt us. When your players aren't good enough to get the puck, faceoffs help, although we had players losing faceoffs AND not winning battles.

    I'd have to disagree that outshooting a team is a meaningless stat. Check here and filter by SAT:https://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedteamstats
    You'll see that the teams that attempt more shots than their opponents during the season are almost always more successful than those that don't. You really don't need advanced stats to tell you that though, it's common sense. This happens every season. The fact of the matter is that, on the whole, 38 shots is almost always better than 25 amongst players at an equal level.

    Quantity certainly doesn't equal quality, but I thought we had both tonight, we just ran into a hot goalie and didn't get enough bounces.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,596

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Union has been on such a great run these last few years. The loss today is tough, but you have to appreciate what this team has provided to the ECAC and the fan base.

    The Glass is certainly half full!

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    338

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    I was on the edge of my seat all weekend, great hockey, but an unfortunate ending for U. I also hope the injury to Anas isn't serious.

    The seniors have much to be proud of over their 4 years and are certainly going to be missed next year. The future is bright and I can't wait for next October. Until then, I look forward to discussing the offseason, predicting lines and captains, and also reading up on the incoming recruits.
    Union College Hockey
    2014 NCAA National Champions
    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    173

    Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"? (Part 2)

    Thanks Union for a great series. Great team and classy program. If it wouldn't have been at our expense I would have loved to see you turn things around and go all the way. If you did come out ahead this weekend I would have rooted for you the rest of the way. Congrats to your graduation seniors on all the have accomplished the past few years!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •