X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    There must have been an incredible amount of chatter on the internet calling for the coaches head.
    Oh wait, no internet.
    No internet? We did not even have access to a calculator much less a computer (unless you could get into the Amos Eaton building and get to use the IBM 360 Model 50 which took up almost the entire building). Had to get by with my K & E sliderule. But those were about the best years of my life and memories from those years can almost always make me smile. An incredible school, great student body with great school spirit, and an administration that actually seemed to care.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Dudes with long hair. Either that, or there were girls, but they all had RIBS.
      Dare I ask what RIBS means?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        The dictionary of acronyms and slang offers 30 different meanings.

http://acronymsandslang.com/meaning-of/RIBS.html

Given the person who used it, he probably meant Redefining Ideal Beauty Standards. Rutherford Ion Backscattering Spectroscopy doesn't quite fit the context.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          The dictionary of acronyms and slang offers 30 different meanings.

http://acronymsandslang.com/meaning-of/RIBS.html

Given the person who used it, he probably meant Redefining Ideal Beauty Standards. Rutherford Ion Backscattering Spectroscopy doesn't quite fit the context.
          It could be either. Actually I thought that the R meant Rensselaer.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ratio-induced ßitch Syndrome Yes I know ß=ss, not b, but it looks close enough.

The phrase has fallen heavily out of favor since FlagDUDE left RPI.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post

And the fact that RKarger was an RPI coed.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is a bit off-topic but as Ralph points out it is 200 days until our next game. I just wanted to give a shout out to fellow alumnus and sometimes poster to the USCHO site, Tyler Hinman. Rooting for you to bring back the Crossword Puzzle Championship Title (to be contested March 27-29).
                "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                  This is a bit off-topic but as Ralph points out it is 200 days until our next game. I just wanted to give a shout out to fellow alumnus and sometimes poster to the USCHO site, Tyler Hinman. Rooting for you to bring back the Crossword Puzzle Championship Title (to be contested March 27-29).
                  Rooting for him also.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bingo on the acronym. I wouldn't be shocked if the phrase still exists somewhat, though. Your fortune makes your position on the matter partial. "Get a room!"

Comment

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Ratio-induced ß*tch Syndrome Yes I know ß=ss, not b, but it looks close enough.

The phrase has fallen heavily out of favor since FlagDUD left RPI.
                      I can't imagine how such a phrase ever would have been in favor, except perhaps to the most depraved anti-social misogynist.

B*itch to a woman is akin to the n-word to a black person. Of course, Mr. Dud loves to insult others, gratuitous vile meanness with intent to injure suits him so well, so why am I not surprised? There are probably no mirrors in his place.

That usage of RIBS actually is akin to Redefining Ideal Beauty Standards.....downward.
                      Last edited by FreshFish; 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I can't imagine how such a phrase ever would have been in favor, except perhaps to the most depraved anti-social misogynist.

B*itch to a woman is akin to the n-word to a black person. Of course, Mr. Dud loves to insult others, gratuitous vile meanness with intent to injure suits him so well, so why am I not surprised? There are probably no mirrors in his place.

That usage of RIBS actually is akin to Redefining Ideal Beauty Standards.....downward.
                        B*tchiness and beauty are not mutually exclusive, not by far.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                          I don't think the head coach is leaving, but if there was an opening the first guy I would call would be Ben Barr.
                          Of course, he has no experience as a head coach, so it would be a shot in the dark.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That's exactly why it has gone away for the most part. If it's any indication, any post mentioning RIBS on /r/rpi tends to be quickly downvoted.
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

That's exactly why it has gone away for the most part. If it's any indication, any post mentioning RIBS on /r/rpi tends to be quickly downvoted.
                              Wow... the 'tute has changed quite a bit in a decade... I even remember there was one young woman who was known around campus as "The RIBS girl" because her picture happened to be the profile pic for the Facebook group. She was a cool person, though.

And of course the person completely obsessed with me would think that I had something to do with the term. Sorry, Charlie.

Comment

I think that it was free to everyone when I was at RPI. At least I don't remember that others had to pay. Anyway, they should have had to pay people to watch the team when I started.
                                When I started at RPI, students were admitted free to football games. All we had to do was show our ID cards. But as I recall, they had ticket booths by the entrance to '86 Field, so I guess they must have charged admission to the general public.

One year, the first issue of the Poly came out before the first home football game. There was an article in there indicating that, for the first time, there would be a nominal charge (25 cents or some exorbitant figure like that) for students to attend football games. The article went on with the helpful advice that if anyone wanted to avoid waiting in line to purchase a student ticket on game day, tickets could be purchased in advance at the Field House.

I figured the early bird gets the worm. I went up to the Field House, presented myself at the box office, and told them I wanted to buy a student ticket for the football game.

The person at the window was rather nonplussed. She turned to someone sitting in the office behind her and asked if they were selling tickets for football games. The other person said, oh, yes, a roll of tickets had been sent over from the athletic offices in the '87 Gym. The roll of tickets was brought over to the window - I remember the lady at the window had to peel off a piece of tape in order to be able to detach one ticket from the roll - and I handed in my 25 cents and was given my ticket.

On game day, I went over to the gate at '86 Field and offered my ticket to the person at the gate, who said "What's this?"

I said, "It's my student ticket to the game."

He said, "Are you a student?"

I said, "Yes."

He said, "You don't need a ticket. All students get in free. All you need to do is show me your ID."

I found out later that as soon as the article hit the Poly, the GM and/or PU and/or other members of the student government had kicked up a fuss and the decision to charge students admission to football games had been rescinded. I was probably the only person who ever bought one of those student tickets.

I hung onto that ticket for years, as a reminder that the early bird gets the worm, but if you're the early worm, that's another matter altogether.

Comment

Working...
                                X